Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobiplanet SMS scam (57976)

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I plan to go back to ComReg and also complain about the constant gaslighting.

Comreg are no strangers to a bit of gaslighting themselves....they're the ones licencing the alleged scams in the full knowledge that consumers are being ripped off.

IIUC, all Comreg did was tell UME to contact you....what a useless intervention that was....unfortunately it has to be done as that's the procedure but all it does is drag it out with the objective of dissuading consumers from exercising their rights.

Consider requesting a log of traffic from Tesco to compare with anything UME might produce. Probably have to submit SAR to Tesco to get whatever logs you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

I was checking the phone of my wife today ad on the 19th of March UME sent again three premium text messages to her. We send a stop message in February.

Writing now to Comreg as this is harassment. Unbelievable that things like these are possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭d15ude

I'm requesting back EUR137 from Red27.
    So far they offered EUR 7.50 and 20.

Now they came back with following (see attachment).

I never knowling subscribed nor used their services.
    Should I contact Comreg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,675 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That proof is laughable, absolute spoofers

fritzelly wrote: »
    That proof is laughable, absolute spoofers

I told them that I don't understand their screenshot, now they are offering 35 EUR.

Still a long way to EUR 137...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,563 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is nothing in that screenshot that "proves" anything, at all.

The usual thing is to tell them you've contacted Comreg.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

d15ude wrote: »
    I told them that I don't understand their screenshot, now they are offering 35 EUR.

Still a long way to EUR 137...

It took me about eight emails to work up from their initial offer to a full refund.

Keep at it.

Their "proof" is nothing of the sort.

I'm requesting back EUR137 from Red27.
    So far they offered EUR 7.50 and 20.

Now they came back with following (see attachment).

I never knowling subscribed nor used their services.
    Should I contact Comreg?

Don't accept anything other than a full refund.

The two processes that you can use are...

1. Submit a formal complaint to Red27 on the basis that you never subscribed to any of their services. Get a reference number from Red to facilitate dealing with Comreg

2. Submit a SAR to Red to get all details they have on file about you and your phone number, this should show a record of the alleged subscription consent...but they won't have it...they've already proved they have nothing with that meaningless screenshot.

Red27 seem to have toughened up their game.
    They are now stalling at EUR 50 (out of EUR 132.50 in total).

Request for SAR was answered within 24h. Looks to me they have nothing.
    Will now get in touch with Comreg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,675 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Don't give up

• Advertisement

d15ude wrote: »

That really is laughable.

On the one hand they say the information they hold relating to the use of their service is anonymous and hence do not hold any personal information about you.

On the other, they are saying that they have definitive proof that you – a real person – actually subscribed to their service.

Which is it?

KEEP PUSHING THEM!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭General Toilet

I would take them to small claims or at least threaten them with it.

The point to focus on is that the code of practice that applies to their licence requires an AGREE SMS to be sent to Red to confirm the subscription. Ask them to provide proof that it was sent....they clearly don't have it but might try and spoof about ad clicks or other waffle that isn't relevant. You can also submit SAR to the network to get a log of SMS traffic to double check.

Make sure to get your network to apply premium SMS bar to your number.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    The point to focus on is that the code of practice that applies to their licence requires an AGREE SMS to be sent to Red to confirm the subscription. Ask them to provide proof that it was sent....they clearly don't have it but might try and spoof about ad clicks or other waffle that isn't relevant.

That's a good point, and just emphasises the point I made: either they have the information that confirms you subscribed, in which case the SAR request response was not correct and they're in trouble with the Data Protection Commissioner, or they don't in which case there's no evidence you ever subscribed, in which case they're in trouble with ComReg.

The point being though that people really shouldn't have to have to go through all this just to get a refund.

....in which case they're in trouble with ComReg.

Don't think there's any such thing as being in trouble with Comreg....one thing's for certain, they're no AC12.

They have some nerve to commission juvenile radio ads about "knowing the word STOP and how to spell it".

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Don't think there's any such thing as being in trouble with Comreg....one thing's for certain, they're no AC12.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭myfreespirit

One way to avoid getting scammed by Red or similar service providers is to ask your mobile provider to bar Premium SMS from your phone number.

I requested GoMo to restrict the access yesterday, using the contact form on their app, they responded within one hour, confirming that Premium SMS was restricted.

Слава Україн– Glóir don Úcráin

One way to avoid getting scammed by Red or similar service providers is to ask your mobile provider to bar Premium SMS from your phone number.

AFAIK, while Eir, Three and Vodafone offer this bar option, there doesn't seem to be any regulatory obligation on the networks to block premium SMS.
    If you wish to have premium rate SMS text messages and MMS blocked from your mobile phone, the mobile operators eir Mobile, Three and Vodafone provide a barring facility allowing you to bar such services in the short code number ranges 53XXX to 59XXX.

https://www.comreg.ie/premium-rate/how-to-bar-or-stop-premium-rate-services/how-do-i-bar-all-premium-rate-sms-text-services-from-my-phone/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Thanks for this thread.

My daughter copied a link, entered it in her mobile thinking it'd enable her to download high quality video. This automatically brought her to her messages and an automatic message was generated, which she sent thinking this would bring me to a site. Instead she received 3 messages within a few seconds saying she have been signed up to 'Mobizone's ANYTIME.

I've sent them an email, mentioned that I've contacted ComReg and I will escalated further if needed. Do I need to mention that ComReg will take over after 10 days if it's not resolved?

Thanks,

Patrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 West Of West

Got hit by this on Saturday, calling themselves MintedMobi.com this time. Weekly quiz for prizes, woke up to texts sent at 5am saying "thanks for subscribing" and a further 3 text messages at €2.50 each. Currently on my second email to them asking them to provide confirmation of my own supposed confirmatio or a full refund, or else it's ComReg and a GDPR request to see this supposed confirmation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Bedouin79

Any joy I just got stung for €40 on my monthly bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

So basically... You did sign up.. And it's not a scam.. Just a mistake on your daughter's part.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭snor

Just discovers that the 57976 number have been taking €30 a month from my daughters account for the past 18th months.

did anyone manage to get any of the money returned? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I did, but it was only a few €. I copied ComReg with every message I sent them, and every response. It only took a few days for a full refund.

It was clear it was a scam, from the timestamps on the messages. ComReg didn't want to know, once I got my money back. So much for 'regulation'. Our mobiles now have premium numbers barred, at our request.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭snor

Many thanks. My daughter is currently away so will pursue on her return.

Issue also is that I cannot access the GoMo account - GoMo account in her number but the bills are for different GoMo mobile number (other childrens 😬) have blocked premium texts now also.

Advertisement