Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council house maintenance

Options
  • 20-10-2020 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi just wondering what people have done in regards to waiting a long period of time for a maintenance issue to be sorted by the council. There is a missing tile on my roof and it’s after causing a leak in my daughters bedroom which has made a hole in her Bedroom ceiling she is only after turning 3 I have no other room to put her in. I’m afraid that for her safety and also her health. On days like today it could flood her whole room leaving everything soaked. I appreciate any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How did you contact the council ? Is you rent upto date? They won’t do repairs if it isn’t.

Roof tiles is listed as an immediate repair

Page 24

https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/HousingAndCommunity/LookingForAHome/Tenant_Booklet.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Contact a carpenter/roofer and get it repaired

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gill1992

ted1 wrote: »
    How did you contact the council ? Is you rent upto date? They won’t do repairs if it isn’t.

Roof tiles is listed as an immediate repair

Page 24

https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/HousingAndCommunity/LookingForAHome/Tenant_Booklet.pdf

I’ve rang the maintenance department and my own housing officer but I keep getting the same reply which is we will contact the foreman again I’ve also sent two emails with pictures and a video of the damage. I’m with cork city council. Unfortunately my house is in arrears but not through my own fault I moved in here 4years ago my partner is the main tenant my child shouldn’t have to suffer for his mistake. I’m doing my best to pay off the arrears now but I am thinking of stopping payments until they do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gill1992

Contact a carpenter/roofer and get it repaired

Unfortunately we don’t have the disposable money for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

Gill1992 wrote:
    I am thinking of stopping payments until they do something about it.

That should do the trick ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

No offence OP i feel for people who are struggling financially

I'd love the luxury of not paying for my house though

No offence OP i feel for people who are struggling financially

I'd love the luxury of not paying for my house though

Such a passive aggressive post.

I rent privately, something needs fixing I ring the landlord to do it.
    Same for the OP, she pays rent & the landlord is responsible to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

I'd try contacting local councillers and TDs and see if they can push it on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

fair warning. If you your post is not helpful to the OP, do not post in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The local politicians will have "clinics" in your area. Pay one of them a visit and explain your problem. If they are any good, they will get after the Council for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

bubblypop wrote: »
    Such a passive aggressive post.

I rent privately, something needs fixing I ring the landlord to do it.
    Same for the OP, she pays rent & the landlord is responsible to fix it.

Yes but it is illegal to stop paying the rent privately so I’d imagine it’s the same when paying the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

well heres the problem, by not fixing this the council are only actually costing themselves more money. Because they will have to remedy the ceiling now too.

Genius..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

listermint wrote: »
    well heres the problem, by not fixing this the council are only actually costing themselves more money. Because they will have to remedy the ceiling now too.

Genius..

Ring the council my walls are damp - open your windows it's condensation ,but my window fell out ,ah shur isn't that from the condensation ,but what about the hole in the roof ah Shure how else is the air supposed to get in .

I remember reading somewhere that one council had one man to cover all the repairs and maintenance for several hundred properties ,and feck all budget ,

In fairness if I was the op id look into getting someone in to do a temporary fix to keep the water out until the council get off their holes and sort it ,for your and your and your little ones health

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Gatling wrote: »

In fairness if I was the op id look into getting someone in to do a temporary fix to keep the water out until the council get off their holes and sort it ,for your and your and your little ones health

This would be my thinking, if i perceived my childs health to be at risk I'd take matters into my own hands and try be proactive in dealing with the problem, I know finance may be tight but instead of waiting for dcc to get off their arses you need to take the bull by the horns and get someone onto it

Advertisement