Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid-19 Immigration Updates

Options
  • 23-03-2020 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Lots of updates from the Immigration Service over the weekend that will affect a lot of people that use this forum.

1. Restrictions on new visa applications except for emergency visas for healthcare professionals and join family visas for new residents

2. All GNIB offices and the registration office in Burgh Quay have closed. If your permission (including visitor permission) was due to expire between the 20th of March 2020 and the 20th of May 2020, you are automatically considered renewed for a further 8 week period.

3. Guidance for international students- everyone will be considered to have met the attendance requirements if your school has closed.

Thankfully this should take some pressure off migrants and their families over the course of the next few weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you have a link to this? 20th of March 2020 and the 20th of May 2020 in 9 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

http://inis.gov.ie

It's on the front on the INIS homepage here.

If your permission expired between those dates, it's extended for 8 weeks.

So, e.g., if your permission expires on the 19th of May 2020, you can consider it extended until the 14th of July 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭noinc

Are the migrants posing as students and working in restaurants still here despite that fact that 90% of restaurants and 100% colleges are closed? This is a great opportunity to clean up the system that is being abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

noinc wrote: »
    Are the migrants posing as students and working in restaurants still here despite that fact that 90% of restaurants and 100% colleges are closed? This is a great opportunity to clean up the system that is being abused.

Errr...no. It’s not. A pandemic which has killed a 1000+ people in this country so far and is going to absolutely financially wreck us is not “a great opportunity” for anything. Go back into your cave.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Errr...no. It’s not. A pandemic which has killed a 1000+ people in this country so far and is going to absolutely financially wreck us is not “a great opportunity” for anything. Go back into your cave.
    It must be you who lives in the cave, obviously no access to seeing what is going on around you, where do you think the pandemic came from and you obviously are not getting emails trying to scam you. It is a fact the daily phone calls from "Eir" have stopped telling us there is a problem with our broadband despite the fact that we are not Eir customers. No doubt they will come back can get back to work in South Asia. It seems you don't want to see things cleaned up, it must suit you to sit on your backside taking the € 350.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

noinc wrote: »
    It must be you who lives in the cave, obviously no access to seeing what is going on around you, where do you think the pandemic came from and you obviously are not getting emails trying to scam you. It is a fact the daily phone calls from "Eir" have stopped telling us there is a problem with out broadband despite the fact that we are not Eir customers. No doubt they will come back can get back to work in South Asia. It seems you don't want to see things cleaned up, it must suit you to sit on your backside taking the € 350.

I had the opportunity to be at home on full pay , not €350. I stayed at work. Because I’ve been going to work since I was 18, full time, no breaks. And I like it like that.
    I got the emails, phone calls from “Windows” from “Eir”, from “Revenue” etc but because, unlike you , I’m an intelligent fully functioning adult, not an idiot and I just ignored them.
    Are you alleging that Irish people don’t scam and cheat and steal? Are you stupid?? We had no problems here before de brown people came, isnt that right??
    It’s disgusting. You’re so backward and racist and basically terrified of brown people that you want to use a national tragedy to get rid of them. Shame on you.

I hate all scammers regardless of where they come from or what colour their skin is and I know that Irish people can scam too. My major problem is that some of them are coming here especially to rob us. The sad part if that you think you are "an intelligent fully functioning adult" and that the best thing to do with crime is to ignore it. I never mentioned colour but you are so caught up with your belleding heart attitude is that attack me for asking a relevant question, if you were worth it I would explain my problem but you are so fond of "brown people" as you call them. You cannot see how they want to destroy our way of life with their twisted relious sects, you are happy to turn a blind eye to child brides, to FGM, honour killings etc but you don't have dig enough within yourself to attack your own and obviously you are a "brown person" yourself or haven't an ounce of patriotism and love to play the race card and those evil people who are scamming the system must really love the likes of you making Ireland an easy target.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Noinc, do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RoadRunner2000

I just called my local immigration office (not Dublin), and they said they are not open and do not know when they will open again. They told me to keep checking the website - and they do open, they will see people by appointment only.

I am worried that the office will be clogged with people whose permissions expired between mid-March and July 20th and there will not be any available appointments. Eek, kinda stressful.

I am hoping they give people an extension even if the offices are opened cause I expect it will be very difficult to get an appointment.

There is now a shiny new online renewal system for those in the Dublin area who would previously have renewed in Burgh Quay- https://inisonline.jahs.ie/home

Alas for those outside of Dublin there is still no information on what will happen after the 20th of July.

Very concerned about Cork in particular being overloaded.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Sonrisa wrote: »
    There is now a shiny new online renewal system for those in the Dublin area who would previously have renewed in Burgh Quay- https://inisonline.jahs.ie/home

Alas for those outside of Dublin there is still no information on what will happen after the 20th of July.

Very concerned about Cork in particular being overloaded.
    It looks like a legitimate link and jahs.ie appears to be registered to the Dept of Justice but I can't verify that it is, other than that it is linked from a inis.gov.ie webpage.

Maybe someone with better technical skills than me can verify this is actually an official link but otherwise, I would be careful what details are submitted here.

It looks like a legitimate link and jahs.ie appears to be registered to the Dept of Justice but I can't verify that it is, other than that it is linked from a inis.gov.ie webpage.

Maybe someone with better technical skills than me can verify this is actually an official link but otherwise, I would be careful what details are submitted here.

apologies I should have sent the link from DoJ website- yes it is a weird address.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Home it is given at notice 2 on this page.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Sonrisa wrote: »
    apologies I should have sent the link from DoJ website- yes it is a weird address.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Home it is given at notice 2 on this page.
    To clarify, I wasn't suggesting you were providing a dodgy link - just that the link looks dodgy but could well be legitimate and I cannot verify either way with a bog standard whois lookup.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The minister (or was their account hacked) posted the same link on Twitter and I asked the same questions.

Advertisement