Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Ever Build - Advice Please

Options
  • 19-09-2019 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭

Hi I am just looking for some general advice for a first ever build
    A friend, who has build a few machines previously, will give me a dig out with the actual physical building, but was hoping to get some general advice here on the configuration.

1. What is your budget?
    €1,500 but if I can go cheaper I will

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Some gaming (Football Manager, simulators like Hospital 2.0, Cities Skylines etc. plus I would like to start getting into some PC gaming (only have PS4). Machine will also be required for work from home purposes and while not heavy processing will have lots of Microsoft programmes running at the same time, jumping in out of them (Word, large Excels, PowerPoint, Project etc.), a number of web based interfaces and portals. I am also separately upgrading my NAS with a view to ripping my DVD collection to same - so for a few months I will be heavily using programmes like handbrake and doing large file transfers. Will also watch films and Sky Go, Netflix etc. on it from time to time. Lots internet and emails

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    No

5. Do you need a monitor?
    Yes, but it not included in the budget above.

5a. If yes, what size do you need.
    26" - 28"
    5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? []

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Wireless Card & Card Reader]
    It won't be possible to do a direct ethernet connection so will be relying on WIFI. Have virgin 360mb and will be relying on making the most use of that via WIFI. in 2020 I hope to purchase the new Orbi mesh system which allows ethernet connection via on of the satellites.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    Possibly, but unlikely

8. How can you pay?
    Visa, paypal etc.

9. When are you purchasing?
    in the next month.

I did a build via partpicker which is in or around 250 over my maximum budget and I would like some advice on getting it down if possible. I don't want to go overkill on a build for my needs, but do want some level of future proofing so that I am not upgrading again too soon. I spent 1,400 on a Gigabyte laptop 4 years ago (prebuilt) and it is the most disappointing purchase ever. Extremely slow etc.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/kM26Mc

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor €251.56

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler €78.88

Motherboard MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard €221.37

Memory: Kingston HyperX Predator 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory €95.26

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    €94.29
    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    €201.39

Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Z Video Card €419.30

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG ATX Mid Tower Case €100.92

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply €119.18

Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer €67.38

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit €94.23

Base Total: €1732.97
    Shipping: €10.80
    Total: €1743.76

Also as this is a first build and I am not aux fait with building from scratch if there is core component I've missed (sound card, network adapter????) please let me know.

Thanks.

Comments

Advertisement