Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise?

Options
  • 22-10-2008 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Ive recently aquired a taste for mentalism due to an addiction i have developed towards Derren Brown so when i went into a local bookstore to purchase his book i was recommended a book called " 13 steps to mentalism"
    I can only find it on ebay and was just wondering if this book is worth getting if want to explore this concept more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Hey OVEREXCITEDAJ, whoever recommended you this book is a wise person. This book is the bible for mentalism.

Now correct me if im wrong guys, as i am mainly a pasteboards guy, but the book is the starting point for mentalism. Some of the methods are slightly dated, but there is so much inofrmation contained within the covers.

I just need to get round to reading my copy. Its gaining severe dust :D

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Thanks for the help. Based on this advise im ordering asap:D

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Yeah defo one to have on ur shelf, even if ya dont get round to it for while (like me :p) Dont think is that much either, got mine off ebay for bout 25 including delievery awhile back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Haa haa, are you the chap I bumped into in Polymath then?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

oeb wrote: »
    Haa haa, are you the chap I bumped into in Polymath then?

hahahahaha i am indeed :D
    im also still waiting on that Derren Brown book and i ordered it ages ago :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

The main thing about 13 steps is that it covers all the basics, and it covers them well. It is one of the only books out there that would allow you to create a full show length routine using the information contained within it. And I don't mean a show to your friends, I mean something that you could happilly use on a stage with an audience of hundreds (or more).

13 steps contains information on pretty much everything a mentalist wants. From Blindfolded Driving (Like Keith Barry did on his TV special) to cold/warm reading (This is how 'mediums' tell you all about your dead relitives) to billet writting (This allows you to do almost any type of prediction effect) etc etc.

It also importantly contains lots of advice on how to market yourself, the importance of making a name for yourself with one very public effect etc.

EVERY mentalist that I have seen uses material from this book. Derren Brown, Banachek, Osterlind, Keith Barry etc.

Advertisement