Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need to have log book for NCT?

Options
  • 19-09-2019 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Is this needed? Didn't think so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

People will say yes, but I've never brought mine and it's always been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Last time I brought my car I was asked for mine. They wouldn't hand over the nct cert until it was shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Depends on who you meet at the other side of the counter. I'd rather bring it and not need than need it and not have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

zweton wrote: »
    Is this needed? Didn't think so.

It is needed. It's one of the requirements needed to receive a new Cert.
    https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/Preparing-for-your-NCT-/
    Having said that, it's not always asked for and even if you don't have it on the day they will still test the Car but won't give you the new Cert until you show them the VLC.

In other words as Bazz said, it depends who you meet. But if you meet somebody who looks for it then you won't be getting a new Cert until they see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    It is needed. It's one of the requirements needed to receive a new Cert.
    https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/Preparing-for-your-NCT-/
    Having said that, it's not always asked for and even if you don't have it on the day they will still test the Car but won't give you the new Cert until you show them the VLC.

In other words as Bazz said, it depends who you meet. But if you meet somebody who looks for it then you won't be getting a new Cert until they see it.

Exactly. I've been asked for it and not at the same centre. The one I use now always asks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I forgot to bring it last time and was asked.
    Car was tested and I had to go home and find the logbook before they would hand over the cert.

You may not be asked but yes, it is required. Read the link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I forgot once, and was asked, and they still gave me a cert - but this was maybe 5 years ago so they might have got stricter since then.

As others have said, it is supposed to be a requirement. Whether you'll get away without it may be up to their discretion on the day (and they're not supposed to do this).

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭FDave

I find that they only ask if the vehicle has changed ownership since the last NCT. I haven't brought a log book to a NCT centre for several tests buy if i changed car id definitely bring it to the first one. As mentioned though they can still ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Logbook as in the vrc? I've never been asked for it in 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I've been asked every time I've been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

I have been tested in 4 different centres over the years and never once been asked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

If my friend has exactly the same car as me and similar mileage, what is to stop me changing the plates and gettin an nct for mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Done two at NorthPoint. Wasn't asked either time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    If my friend has exactly the same car as me and similar mileage, what is to stop me changing the plates and gettin an nct for mine?

Vin number

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

As far as I am aware. They are ment to ask for it to prove you are in rightful possession of the car and are able to sign for any liability in relation to it. But the guys working there are under such pressure they might sometimes forget or let you off.

michellie wrote: »
    Vin number

Can they check without the log book?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I offered it last time I went in, (June). Was told they don't need it anymore cos its all on the computer, but they needed my drivers licence... (weirdly, it was my girlfriends car.. So my ID, didn't prove much)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Can they check without the log book?

The Nct staff have to enter the VIN as per your car onto the computer during the test, if it doesn't match up with the reg on the car its flagged. You would then be asked to provide the log book and if you don't the test wont continue as it's obvious it's not the right car.

The Nct staff have to enter the VIN as per your car onto the computer during the test, if it doesn't match up with the reg on the car its flagged. You would then be asked to provide the log book and if you don't the test wont continue as it's obvious it's not the right car.

Never seen them do this.......

They always enter the VIN into their Computer. This is done at the very beginning of the test.... At the same place where the emissions & lights are tested.

• Advertisement

Never seen them do this.......

You wouldn't unless you worked there or followed the tester up the lane....

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TheTomahawk

I've been asked some times and not others. One time when I was asked and handed it over it turned out I had grabbed the wrong piece of paper and just had the cover. She girl kinda rolled her eyes but let it go.

So, yeah, have it with you in case they ask for it. They can refuse to perform the NCT of you some have it (and you won't get a refund).

You wouldn't unless you worked there or followed the tester up the lane....

In Galway they can be observed through windows..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Markcheese wrote: »
    I offered it last time I went in, (June). Was told they don't need it anymore cos its all on the computer, but they needed my drivers licence... (weirdly, it was my girlfriends car.. So my ID, didn't prove much)

You need to bring photo id and the VLC to the test, it's on the appointment email and their website. The stupid thing is that they'll accept a passport for id when it's a legal requirement to carry your driving licence when driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TheTomahawk

Del2005 wrote: »
    The stupid thing is that they'll accept a passport for id when it's a legal requirement to carry your driving licence when driving.

You say that as if they won't accept your driver's licence as ID (which they will, of course).

But you're right, you should have you driver's licence with you, so you shouldn't need any other form of ID. I suppose the Passport is a universal form of ID, so they kinda have to accept it. They can't limit themselves to just a driver's licence.

In Galway they can be observed through windows..

...same in nearly all of the larger Test Centres.
    And if you look at the Tester at the 1st station you will see him/her check the VIN number. It's literally Item no. 1 in the NCT Manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Used to always bring cars for an nct be it customers or retail cars, never once asked for a logbook. It's all on the computer

Del2005 wrote: »
    You need to bring photo id and the VLC to the test, it's on the appointment email and their website. The stupid thing is that they'll accept a passport for id when it's a legal requirement to carry your driving licence when driving.

It doesn't need to be the driver who actually goes up to the counter to present the vehicle for Testing.

Eg. if the 5 people behind me in the queue don't have any ID then I can present every one of their Cars for Testing (assuming I have ID).
    Not saying that it's a particularly meaningful system, in fact just pointing out how ridiculous it can be.

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Used to always bring cars for an nct be it customers or retail cars, never once asked for a logbook. It's all on the computer

You can be sure it wasn't the NCT crowd themselves who brought in this rule.
    Probably some idiot in the RSA who doesn't even know how their own databases work ;).

• Advertisement

Passports aren't accepted anymore due to data protection . It's only licence or that green public service card. I can see that public service card being removed too due to data protection.

Too many people don't have their licences. Some dont even know what they are, its ridiculous

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement