Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Demons Souls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Would anyone mind explaining this world tendancy thingy.I've noticed there are segments i can't get into as the WT is wrong,what does this mean and how can i effect WT.Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

weiland79 wrote: »
    Would anyone mind explaining this world tendancy thingy.I've noticed there are segments i can't get into as the WT is wrong,what does this mean and how can i effect WT.Thanks.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,499 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Isn't January 2009 a bit early for the beginning of the sequel development-wise? If the original hadn't even been released yet then would they even have had the backing for a sequel that early?

It was a risky IP to begin with.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

noodler wrote: »
    Brilliant news, cheers.

Really enjoyed the all white world at Xmas and will take this opportunity to make some more progress.

Don't you have the US version?

This is for the Asian version...sorry, should've been clearer in my post. I put "asian" in the title of my post.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Don't you have the US version?

This is for the Asian version...sorry, should've been clearer in my post. I put "asian" in the title of my post.

Oops. Still, I would be very surprised if they pass up the chance to do something for the Valentines 'holiday' - my money is on a similar announcement soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Isn't January 2009 a bit early for the beginning of the sequel development-wise? If the original hadn't even been released yet then would they even have had the backing for a sequel that early?

It was a risky IP to begin with.
    Considering From Software's previous output, it wasn't really a risky IP for them at all, especially considering the had Sony Japan as publisher (i.e. they got paid cash). Demon's Souls is the spiritual successor to From Software's Kings Field series which they had success with. The game was released in February 2009 in Japan and it's common for sequels to be given the green light before the first game has seen release. There has been less time between Armoured Core 4 and 5 than there would be between Demon's Souls and a Demon's Souls 2 released in say, October.

@smooch: I don't necessarily mean change the co-op mode drastically at all, I just mean that if you put down a blue eyes stone and you're within 10 soul levels of your friend, in theory you should be able to meet up with them. This is almost always not the case. Then again, meeting up with friends can lead to exploits/cheating, like trading rare materials and stuff like that.

As for a 360 release, I would love good games to be in the hands of as many people as possible. However, Demon's Souls is a Sony Japan owned IP and thus wouldn't be released on the 360. That has to be a joke post though, completely missed the point of Demon's Souls.
    Oops. Still, I would be very surprised if they pass up the chance to do something for the Valentines 'holiday' - my money is on a similar announcement soon.
    I'm confused about this discussion about the BWT event - I thought only Atlus USA had announced such an event, I haven't read anything about the Asian version having one too. Linky. Dunno why people want BWT so much, it's easy to get (just die in body form a few times). WWT is much more difficult to achieve.

GothPunk wrote: »
    Considering From Software's previous output, it wasn't really a risky IP for them at all, especially considering the had Sony Japan as publisher (i.e. they got paid cash). Demon's Souls is the spiritual successor to From Software's Kings Field series which they had success with. The game was released in February 2009 in Japan and it's common for sequels to be given the green light before the first game has seen release. There has been less time between Armoured Core 4 and 5 than there would be between Demon's Souls and a Demon's Souls 2 released in say, October.

Well, that certainly offsets the risk in terms of a loss GP but pouring more money into a sequel (whether or not that money is readily available from Sony Japan) before the success of the original game has been determined still seems a bit unlikely to me personally.

They could easily have decided Sony Japan's money would be better served on another IP/franchise had DS not been as popular as it is now. Basically I mean just having the money isn't enough - you still are unlikely to risk it on a sequel for an IP that hadn't even been released.

Well, that certainly offsets the risk in terms of a loss GP but pouring more money into a sequel (whether or not that money is readily available from Sony Japan) before the success of the original game has been determined still seems a bit unlikely to me personally.

They could easily have decided Sony Japan's money would be better served on another IP/franchise had DS not been as popular as it is now. Basically I mean just having the money isn't enough - you still are unlikely to risk it on a sequel for an IP that hadn't even been released.
    Ah yes, but the involvement of Sony Japan is the clincher - the PS3 needs more RPGs in Japan, the PS3 needs more exclusive RPGs in Japan, and Sony Japan must have been confident enough in Demon's Souls to have invested in it as publisher in the first place (or maybe they just wanted to guarantee exclusivity). How do you think so many games/sequels to games end up getting cancelled? It's because many of them are started before the original game or developer or whatever has even proven themselves or been released. Plus it's possible Demon's Souls was finished (i.e. 'gone gold') and being pressed onto discs well before the February '09 release date.

On a side note - Demon's Souls is now estimated to have sold between 300,000 and 350,000 copies. For a single platform HD RPG release for a niche title like Demon's Souls, that's phenomenal! It actually did better in North America than it did in Japan. It puzzles me as to why Sony Europe or Atlus USA haven't secured publishing rights for Europe. Madness.

Ah yes, but the involvement of Sony Japan is the clincher - the PS3 needs more RPGs in Japan, the PS3 needs more exclusive RPGs in Japan, and Sony Japan must have been confident enough in Demon's Souls to have invested in it as publisher in the first place (or maybe they just wanted to guarantee exclusivity). How do you think so many games/sequels to games end up getting cancelled? It's because many of them are started before the original game or developer or whatever has even proven themselves or been released. Plus it's possible Demon's Souls was finished (i.e. 'gone gold') and being pressed onto discs well before the February '09 release date.

On a side note - Demon's Souls is now estimated to have sold between 300,000 and 350,000 copies. For a single platform HD RPG release for a niche title like Demon's Souls, that's phenomenal! It actually did better in North America than it did in Japan. It puzzles me as to why Sony Europe or Atlus USA haven't secured publishing rights for Europe. Madness.

I think we are getting off the point a little, bar some possibilities that the game went gold (we should be able to find those figures) before it was released, how it sold subsequent to launch is still not the issue.

The need for PS3 RPGs (that are exclusive) is not at issue either, however I just see it as hard to believe that the company would take the risk of financing a sequel before the original is released, particularly in the current economic climate. It would be a serious and unnecessary commitment - why wouldn't the company keep its options open and if the game suffers from disappointing sales then it can throw its money and resources at another RPG project.

You make the point about sequels being cancelled once the original game doesn't sell well but your previous example was for Armoured Core 4 and 5. I would argue that it is a completely different kettle of fish for games which are already well into their number sequels. At that stage they already have an established fanbase from previous titles, for FF14 (or any FF really) being started way before 13 was released - the brand is already established.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It puzzles me as to why Sony Europe or Atlus USA haven't secured publishing rights for Europe. Madness.

Well Atlus have no presence in Europe so that ruled them out automatically and Sony Europe are idiots and probably reckoned that the hardcore fanbase of Demons Souls had already imported. The only hope it had was a smaller publisher like Rising Star to take it up but it would have been too much of an investment to support the game with servers.

• Advertisement

I only mentioned Armoured Core 4 and 5 as they're developed by From Software also, had a short time between them (about a year and 3 months max) but there was actually an improvement in the games between number 4 and 5. (Actually I shouldn't be calling it Armoured Core 5, it's Armoured Core For Answer, the sequel to Armoured Core 4, Armoured Core 5 won't be out for a while).

Anyways, I understand you, but from what I know From Software and Sony Japan Studio are profitable businesses and can afford to green light sequels due to market predictions. You're telling me a Japanese game company would hesitate to start pre-production on an RPG? Whilst Demon's Souls is a new IP, it's similar to From Software's previous success with King's Field. Plus when you green light a sequel to a game just before the first one is released, you're not really spending that much money - you're throwing out ideas and starting initial pre-production stuff.

If they didn't start sequel talks until March last year (which by then Demon's Souls had sold out it's entire first shipment), that would still be more time From Software had to make the sequel to Armoured Core 4. No reason to think they are rushing it when they're a studio that can make a well received game in 18-24 months. Hell for all we know they made Demon's Souls in 18-24 months! :pac:

Look at us getting carried away with sequel talk, this is all rumour at the moment, but I do enjoy speculating as to what's going on. Here's a quote from the director of Demon's Souls, Hidetaka Miyazaki, about the possibility of a sequel. Link to full interview.
    I’m just an employee of the development company, so I can’t directly answer whether there’ll be a sequel to Demon’s Souls. With that said, my personal opinion is that we learned a lot during the development of Demon’s Souls, and there were a lot of things that we couldn’t do the first time, so I’d welcome the chance to create an even better game in the same style if the opportunity arises.
    That's the kind of talk we always hear from Japanese games people when they're already working on a sequel. Like when people were asking about a sequel to Valkyria Chronicles, the Sega guys were saying stuff like they were 'interested' and stuff like that, when they were already working on it!

Well when you initially said 'in development' I take that to be past the 'discussion' phase to be fair.

Given the costs with HD games this generation etc I honestly do think it is unrealistic to think they were full speed ahead with a sequel before the original came out.

I just think it is a far more likely scenario, again if a sequel to DS IS the game in question, that it is simply being rushed a little.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well Atlus have no presence in Europe so that ruled them out automatically and Sony Europe are idiots and probably reckoned that the hardcore fanbase of Demons Souls had already imported. The only hope it had was a smaller publisher like Rising Star to take it up but it would have been too much of an investment to support the game with servers.
    You're dead right, I think I've been playing too many PS2 games and getting mixed up in that Atlus developed those games and didn't publish them.

I would think that Southpeak Games, who are publishing 3D Dot Game Heroes here, could pick it up. Could KoeiTecmo, Ghostlight or Square Europe who have published lots of Atlus's PS2 games here be a possibility? Or are we past that era now? Ghostlight are publishing Record of Agarest War here so they're definitely still publishing console titles. Hmm, perhaps it's one of those things we'll never really know the answer to. I just hope we don't end up having to import all the future great JRPGs. :pac:
    Well when you initially said 'in development' I take that to be past the 'discussion' phase to be fair.

Given the costs with HD games this generation etc I honestly do think it is unrealistic to think they were full speed ahead with a sequel before the original came out.

I just think it is a far more likely scenario, again if a sequel to DS IS the game in question, that it is simply being rushed a little.
    That was the point of my Valkyria Chronicles example - developers are always playing coy about sequels, saying they're open to the idea when in fact they're already working on it. Sequels are much cheaper anyways - you've already got a game engine running and probably have some assets and ideas left over from the first game. I'm not sure what we can say about the cost of a game for From Software, they certainly churn them out quick enough.

It's just think it's short sighted to say it's going to be a ruch job when a) You don't know when they started development and b) The developer often makes games in a relatively short period of time and c) You don't know how long it took to make the first game. Hey maybe it will be a rush job and be a disappointment but I'll always have the relative perfection that is the first game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's the running cost of the servers needed to support the online mode that would be the big put off for companies. Publishers like Koei and Ghostlight are tiny and wouldn't have the money or be able to take the risk. They buy IP's cheap, churn out a cheap conversion and then sell copies. Square Enix would be the only one big enough to do this but then again Square Enix Europe are a pretty poor publisher.

It's the running cost of the servers needed to support the online mode that would be the big put off for companies. Publishers like Koei and Ghostlight are tiny and wouldn't have the money or be able to take the risk. They buy IP's cheap, churn out a cheap conversion and then sell copies. Square Enix would be the only one big enough to do this but then again Square Enix Europe are a pretty poor publisher.

I swear I am not naturally argumentative or anything (yeah right) but I would have thought the DS servers were far less intensive than others. I mean the messages and death replays are occassional as are the PVP?

Not to mention with sales of around 350,000 (or was that just Asia GP?) you wouldn't expect the EU ones to be overly-packed, would you? Maybe I am underestimating/miscalculating that the cost of having the servers active IN THE CASE of a big influx (regardless of low us on any given day) are where the true costs lie.

You've reminded me of something I've been meaning to mention here - when I first was playing my US copy of Demon's Souls, it said the servers were only guaranteed to be open until Autumn or something like that. Now the game makes no mention of this at the login screen and just says something like 'Please enjoy the online mode'. I wonder if the good sales of Demon's Souls in the US means they can support the servers for longer?

You're probably right about SCEE's feeling about the 'hardcore' just importing Demon's Souls - however, could the good performance of the game in the US change anything? It's a shame that a lot of people won't have a chance to play an awesome game.

So thankful for region free gaming.

Not to mention with sales of around 350,000 (or was that just Asia GP?) you wouldn't expect the EU ones to be overly-packed, would you? Maybe I am underestimating/miscalculating that the cost of having the servers active IN THE CASE of a big influx (regardless of low us on any given day) are where the true costs lie.

Running even a small number of servers costs a lot of money. You have to have a well ventilated place to put them that might need to be expanded if there's a greater load than anticipated and the servers need to be on 24/7 with the running costs of ventilation as well. Then there's the paying of technicians to set them up and keep them maintained.

Most of these publishers are basically just a bunch of guys in an office working on outsourcing all the work with little knowledge of the tech behind it.

Estimated 350,000 worldwide - that's huge for a game like this that likely was made for very little money when compared to some other games in the same genre. Especially when every single copy of the game sold out - the demand was much greater in Asia and then again in the US than the publisher had anticipated.

You're right about servers too, they're usually set up to cope with an average of players, which is why at launch lot's of online games have problems. However, I would think that a server made to cope with only 20,000 Europeans could be quite expensive (and may not be worth the hassle with upkeep etc) for a small time developer. But you make a good point about the online mode not being very intensive, I would guess only a few hundred people are in PvP at any one time on each region's server anyway. I think the fact that the game hasn't been announced for release here - when it has sold great overseas - means that we just don't have the right size publisher in Europe, they're either too small or too big to be interested in the game.

Like I said, my only worry is that this will happen again with another game. So long as we have our import stores and region free consoles I guess we'll be safe.

I'm confused about this discussion about the BWT event - I thought only Atlus USA had announced such an event, I haven't read anything about the Asian version having one too. Linky. Dunno why people want BWT so much, it's easy to get (just die in body form a few times). WWT is much more difficult to achieve.

It wasn't an announcement, I was loading up the game last night, and one of the screens that you hit "OK" on had something along the line of this: "DS is one year old. Thank you to all our fans. This Valentines will be BWT"*.

*That's not word for word, but you get the meaning.

Was messing around in 4-1 last night, had full life and waited to be invaded, as you do. Anyway got creamed by the invaders, and now all my worlds are black.
    Can't get past Satsuki in 4-1, one hit kill.

Won't know what the other worlds are like til I get home tonight...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

The vote for the WT thing is pretty cool

http://www.demons-souls.com/vday.php

Just out of interest. Do your messages stay when you're offline and not playing?

On occasion I've loaded up a game and get the "Your message as been recommended" message.

It rarely happens when I'm in the middle of a game though and is of no benefit coz I'm usually in the Nexus with my health at full (or half as the case may be) anyway.

Just curious is all.

Tried to get back into this tonight.

Starting to regret all the GOTY talk, the hardness novelty has worn off.

Tried 5-2, walking at a snails pace's through poison mud.. Just ended up turning it off after 90 minutes off my life I won't get back and no real progress.

I'd probably prefer checkpoint (even hafl level ones in the next game), if not then at least makable short cuts in EVERY level.

There's a handy shortcut in 5-2. That level though is a total pain in the hole. The big guys are just horrible to fight when you can't roll.

I actually only started and then beat 5-2 earlier today. It was a pain in the arse alright but at least the boss fight at the end is easy. I got killed by the Black Phantom with the Meat Cleaver in the swamp twice I think before I finally made it to the boss. I decided to stop looking for treasure and to just focus on reaching the end and unlocking the shortcut. If you have the Regenerator's Ring it really makes the whole level much easier.

Finished 1-3 earlier as well, the level design there is just great. Got the Mausoleum Key so I'll have to try my hand at beating Old King Doran tomorrow.

I think I might finish the game tomorrow or next weekend, depending on how many bosses I can get through. You really fly through the game once you've beaten the first 2 bosses in each world, I'll probably end up starting New Game + straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Somthing weird happened to me yesterday playing Demons souls , i put down the blue stone to summon someone to help me beat the maneater ( Woah here she comes ) :P and i walked about 3 steps and stopped said ah feck it il go back and do it and be a man .. all of a sudden i was summond as a black phantom in someone elses game and this dead corspe with a cape done somthing to me and i had his caped wrapped around my face ... was freakin weird cause i didnt put down a black stone and never experienced somthing like this before .. my health bar was like covering my 40 inch sony bravia tv . your man came in and slaughtered me then ... anyone else experience somthing like this before :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Once you beat maneater and try the next boss you'll understand.

• Advertisement

Somthing weird happened to me yesterday playing Demons souls , i put down the blue stone to summon someone to help me beat the maneater ( Woah here she comes ) :P and i walked about 3 steps and stopped said ah feck it il go back and do it and be a man .. all of a sudden i was summond as a black phantom in someone elses game and this dead corspe with a cape done somthing to me and i had his caped wrapped around my face ... was freakin weird cause i didnt put down a black stone and never experienced somthing like this before .. my health bar was like covering my 40 inch sony bravia tv . your man came in and slaughtered me then ... anyone else experience somthing like this before :D

Yeah it's happened to me.

As AnCapaillMor says, you'll find out when you meet the boss at the end of that section. No point in ruining the surprise!

(For the record, I got my ass kicked too)

Just reread your post too, placing a blue stone enables someone to summon you to help them in their game, you can't summon with the blue stone.

ya i figured it out today killed man eater and your man , actually flew through it .. was a blue stone i put down though . i never equip my black stone cause i hate to be a jackass .... finished 3-4 now all i have to say is thank god for the kneel smasher :P

I got summoned as a black phantom a few times as well on 3-2 after putting down a blue stone.

Slogging through 5-2 now.

It's a pain in the hoop, not enjoying it at all. I know the games meant to be hard but surely you're supposed to enjoy it too!

I have some other sections to finish but I'm to try to beat 5-2 first because if I leave it till last I'll never finish the game.

Where's this shortcut across the swamp I'm hearing about? I keep getting killed by two big fellas, one of which is a black phantom.

• Advertisement

Shortcut is avalible until you get towards the end, you have to run along ledges on the edge of the swamp to knock a ramp. Which bypasses 90% of the tough bits of 5-2.

As for those giants goblins, uugghh. Get some pretty powerful magic and try and sneak up on them, or do the clever rats ring, morion blade, good bow combo, shoot and run, repeat; takes them down in 3-4 shots.

Or you can use the cheaty combo of Poison and Death Cloud and go make a sandwich while they die. As for powerful magic, I'm guessing you mean Firestorm? That spell is awesome.

I followed your advice from earlier on in the thread AnCapaillMor about the Moon Winged Spear, it's a beast! Looking forward to taking on the NPC black phantoms tonight.

Firestorm yeah, coupled with the kris knife and the clever rats ring\morion blade boost is just ridiculous. Moving soul arrow is pretty handy aginst the giants too.

MWS should good against most NPC's, i find the BP NPC to be dumb and usually thief ring\clever rats ring\morion blade\vicious compund bow+5 them to death. Be warned the MWS is useless against black phantom invaders, not unless you come up against a moron of an invader.

i walked pass the big guys if you make it to there camp site make sure to go all the way up the hill to knock the bridge its straight forward from when you get there, if you die then your there straight away and its no hassle from there... I bet the game today may now leave it for awhile

Is Black Tendency actually in effect at the moment?

Went looking for a Primevil Demon on 4-2 and all I found was a dual weiding black skeleton

I found that if I kill myself once in each world it goes to PBWT. I was reading the Demon's Souls thread on NeoGAF and apparently a few people there are having the same problem with it not being pure black, just close to pure black or neutral. Anyways, I killed BP Miralda and Scirver tonight and I'll get the next 3 NPC BP's tomorrow, Friends Ring here I come. Then I'll have to kill some friendly NPCs to get Mephistopheles to appear and try and get the Foe's Ring. Then it's on to finishing the game. :pac:

Im getting pissed off with it.

Blue Dragon, you actually want me to stand there and pump 400 arrows into him?

Where on earth is the gameplay in that?

As for the primevil in 4-2, he's after that dual katana. Best way to check pure black in world 4, go to 4-1 and if you see Satsuki at the start, go back to the archstone and get out of there.

The friends ring, its quicker to get pure white by killing invaders, normally takes 2-3. Took me an age at the start to get it via the NPC BP's. FOEs ring\pure black tendency is easier to get by invading and killing.

Run past him the blue dragon, have good timing and pretty good fire protection, or use he clever rats rings\morion blade combo to multiply arrow damage by about 300%.

The NPC BPs are so easy though. As it's my first playthrough I want the items they drop (like the Talisman of Beasts that I got by killing Scivir). I only need to kill 3 more of them and I'll have PWCT, so it's no big deal for me (although killing Selen Vinland will probably be hard).

I think I'd like to get the foe's ring through Mephistopheles for the challenge, it'll just be funny to me to have to kill Yuria and Saint Urbain. Then again, people have said that the BP NPCs were hard but I thought they were very easy so far. I do enjoy invading although I haven't really had the time as I've been focusing on farming ores and all the PWWT and PBWT stuff.

noodler, do you not have any good spells that'll help you against the blue dragon? Or any kunai that you can through to poison it? Are you attacking it the first time you see it in 1-4 (the part where it roasts the fat minister) or the second time. The second time you see it you should be able to get close enough to use poison and plague. It's not resistant to fire btw so use fire magic if you have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Just started this a few days ago and really like it. Took about 2 hours to get to the Phalanx thing, but beating it was a huge sense of accomplishment. Did it first try too :)

I havent managed to level up yet though.. how do I raise my stats? I still have everything the same as when I started.

Also can I kill the dragon on the bridges or is that much further ahead of me? Im sick of being roasted!

• Advertisement

You should be able to level up now, just go to the maiden in black give her x amount of souls and you bump up your stats.
    The dragon is possible to kill but involves getting a half decent bow and a hundred or so arrows.

Just started this a few days ago and really like it. Took about 2 hours to get to the Phalanx thing, but beating was a huge sense of accomplishment. Did it first try too :)

I havent managed to level up yet though.. how do I raise my stats? I still have everything the same as when I started.

Also can I kill the dragon on the bridges or is that much further ahead of me? Im sick of being roasted!

Don't bother with the dragon just yet. Stand just out of his range and then when he screams and starts down the bridge, sprint after him (press O when running) You'll make it to the safety of the tower before he makes his next pass.

The Phalynx is pretty easy to kill. Wait till you meet the next guy!

Cheers, I'll leave him for now I think. Now if I could just hold on to some souls and not die before I get back to the maiden!

Cheers, I'll leave him for now I think. Now if I could just hold on to some souls and not die before I get back to the maiden!

When you have used all your souls upgrading or buying stuff, it's worth stopping halfway across the bridge for the winged spear. If you die you won't lose any souls and you'll have a pretty sweet weapon.

I think I already got that just by wandering around. Haven't tried using it yet though, had no idea it was good!

noodler, do you not have any good spells that'll help you against the blue dragon? Or any kunai that you can through to poison it? Are you attacking it the first time you see it in 1-4 (the part where it roasts the fat minister) or the second time. The second time you see it you should be able to get close enough to use poison and plague. It's not resistant to fire btw so use fire magic if you have it.

Took its health down to half the first time then he flies off.

Second part: I kept my distance and fired arrows but I couldn't quite see if the health car was showing up amidst all that fire (maybe the arrows burn up?).

Anyway, found a safe place and kept spamming him and eventually I looked up at the screen from the laptop to find I was dead. Maybe the fire range extends once the other guy is dead, I dunno.

Second part: I kept my distance and fired arrows but I couldn't quite see if the health car was showing up amidst all that fire (maybe the arrows burn up?).

Anyway, found a safe place and kept spamming him and eventually I looked up at the screen from the laptop to find I was dead. Maybe the fire range extends once the other guy is dead, I dunno.
    Ouch. Okay, what soul level are you? I'm level 80, would you like to try and co-op it? Not sure if you know this but you need to be within 10 levels of someone to co-op so dunno if we'd be able to.

You need to get right up under him, light armour and run up. Time your run though.

Im only Soul Lvl 60 but only have this, 4-3 and 5-2 to do.

I have a Long Compound Bow+9 (wanted to do it fully but ran out of pure chunks of Hardstone and the Gekkos on 2-2 stopped appearing).

I don't feel like my soul level is a problem. I brought around 400 Hard arrows the last time and it was a pain to waste so many of them. I will have to see if I can get close enough to use a Kunai, I haven't done much soul farming in the game (bar maybe for flamelurker and for firestorm).

• Advertisement

I read on the wiki that once the other guy is dead the dragon does a different flame sweep so that might have got you. You also might find it harder to get up to him.

Advertisement