Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orf in lambs 😫

Options
  • 13-09-2019 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Anyone able to help me in relation to orf in lambs? My dads flock have caught it and he’s been to the vet about 10 times with lambs, he’s injected them he’s said and he’s tried a few methods suggested by the vet.. does anyone have any experience of getting rid of it?! He’s so down in the dumps over it it’s hard to watch..
    I’ve read about Himalayan rock salt slabs, where would one get these? I’ve seen them online in McCabes feeds but need to buy a big amount for it to be in large slabs, it’s only small rocks in 25kg bags and I don’t want to go getting a heap of it if it’s no good?
    Also he has heard of a ‘quack’ up the north that can cure orf (he’s really getting desperate), can anyone shed any light on this quack or have any experience of him?! All help appreciated thanks ☺️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Anyone able to help me in relation to orf in lambs? My dads flock have caught it and he’s been to the vet about 10 times with lambs, he’s injected them he’s said and he’s tried a few methods suggested by the vet.. does anyone have any experience of getting rid of it?! He’s so down in the dumps over it it’s hard to watch..
    I’ve read about Himalayan rock salt slabs, where would one get these? I’ve seen them online in McCabes feeds but need to buy a big amount for it to be in large slabs, it’s only small rocks in 25kg bags and I don’t want to go getting a heap of it if it’s no good?
    Also he has heard of a ‘quack’ up the north that can cure orf (he’s really getting desperate), can anyone shed any light on this quack or have any experience of him?! All help appreciated thanks ☺️

We never treat orf, it's a virus and clears after time.

If you're near athenry the Arrabawn store might have the hrs in 25 kgs bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Like Ormond said it takes it's course
    Alamycin Antibiotic spray if the skin is broken, if the skin isn't broken , which will be the majority of the lambs, it'll just take its course.
    Skin breaks due to thistles and briars especially if they're short of grass and they have to graze in tight to both.
    Would only have to treat 5-10% here in an outbreak when I used to get it but am vaccinating now.
    Reason I started vaccinating was it stalled the thrive for weeks sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Never do much about it.. alamycin for very bad cases which are rare enough.(1-2%).
    It runs its course.
    As wrangler says it does stop thrive which is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

We use bactakill 55 spray

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

eorna wrote: »
    Never do much about it.. alamycin for very bad cases which are rare enough.(1-2%).
    It runs its course.
    As wrangler says it does stop thrive which is a problem.

We used to ignore it in the flock and then it started to get more severe until it was affecting the thrive for at least a month, so decided to do something.
    Lambs were in general bad form even though very few of the mouths burst. it's very painful, I've got it on my fingers a couple of times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

A few things we've done in the past

1. Isolate the affected lambs
    2. Stop feeding meal if you are already
    3. Wear disposable gloves when handling and treating them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Keep an eye on the ewes as well, they can get mastitis from any sores on their teat ends and not letting their lambs suck, if they are still on the ewes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭148multi

A good mineral supplement with copper if there is no texal in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nick100

We used Dermicidal Plus and found it much better than Alamycin or Iodine. It's supposed to kill the orf virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

How often would ye put on the dermicidal sprays?......every few days until things improve or every single day for a while?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Country lad

If it was me would put it on every few days

Advertisement