Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some advice on my situation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I haven't done anything as I'm just looking into options in recent times since a change in my situation meant trying to buy as an individual instead of as part of a couple.[/quote]
    Look into the help to buy scheme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Banks are restricted in what they can lend to 3.5 times the borrowers total income. You're far from alone there's a huge amount of singletons out there. Unfortunately with the supply v demand issues in Dublin at the moment most properties are out of reach in traditional ways. I live in Lucan too. There's a huge amount of building here and some of it has to go to social and affordable housing so look up your options there.
    It's not discrimination at all. I can't afford to buy a house in certain Dublin areas and I'm an actuary on a high salary but my difference is I don't want to anyway so I feel your frustration.
    It's tough out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I never wanted to buy until a long term relationship came to an end and I had to move in with strangers. That's what made me want to look into buying so I could live on my terms of ya get me[/quote]

Yes sharing with strangers is not good. It's just a house then not a home. You haven't mentioned income yet how much do you earn?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I never wanted to buy until a long term relationship came to an end and I had to move in with strangers. That's what made me want to look into buying so I could live on my terms of ya get me[/quote]
    Now, now... Don't be taking it out on the people here who were kind enough to offer advice. Your situation is not of their making. You risk coming off as an entitled millennial, ya get me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

You can't have everything on your own terms. You said you don't "wanna" leave your job. There goes any chance of increasing your salary if you find another job in Dublin. You don't seem to be interested in finding a job elsewhere. Even if Dublin prices drop a bit, the odds are still stacked against you. Your wages are too low. You're single. It's a problem. What you need is a plan.

I ended up house sharing in my 30s after my long term relationship went tits up. It wasn't what I wanted to do but it was a means to an end. It got me my deposit and now I'm happy out. But there is no chance whatsoever that I'd have bought something anywhere half nice in Dublin. And I was earning more than you are.

I thought I'd be buying as a couple too. It didn't work out so I changed tack and made compromises. I'm now sitting in my own house. La de dah .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

You can't have everything on your own terms. You said you don't "wanna" leave your job. There goes any chance of increasing your salary if you find another job in Dublin. You don't seem to be interested in finding a job elsewhere. Even if Dublin prices drop a bit, the odds are still stacked against you. Your wages are too low. You're single. It's a problem. What you need is a plan.

I ended up house sharing in my 30s after my long term relationship went tits up. It wasn't what I wanted to do but it was a means to an end. It got me my deposit and now I'm happy out. But there is no chance whatsoever that I'd have bought something anywhere half nice in Dublin. And I was earning more than you are.

Op seems more focused on being single than anything else . Break up maybe recent as seems to still be in the venting stage

Do some research, rebuild Ireland

Because you are single doesn’t have to exclude you from buying

You do need to drop the negative mindset though.
    House sharing doesn't have to be hell if you find housemates who are sound. That definitely made my later house-sharing days a lot nicer, plus I made a couple of friends from it.

You need to earn more money by the looks of things. You're going to have to leave where you work sometime unless you think you'll be there until they give you a gold clock. Unless of course there are proactive steps you can take to move up the ladder more quickly. Can you study at night or get additional qualifications?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

The reality for someone trying to purchase on their own is that it will take a lot longer. Realistically, a bigger deposit is needed to overcome the single salary disadvantage.

That was the approach that I took, saving up a large enough deposit to allow me to do it on my own. In the end it wasn’t necessary, but when we bought we were able to get our house in Dublin on one salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

See here
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin-city/property-for-sale/?s%5Bmxp%5D=175000

You can buy a house under 220k or a 1bed apartment .
    Save as much as you can .
    look on daft.ie and myhome.ie .
    No one can predict what will happen with brexit or the economy .
    Its pointless to wait for prices to fall if you want to buy in dublin .
    It may never happen.
    When you have 20k saved go to a mortgage broker.
    He will give you advice re how much you can borrow and help you to get a loan.Save your money in aib or TSB bank.
    When you apply for a loan they may look at your saving,s eg you were able to save x amount per month, every month.
    You may be reliable in terms of paying a mortgage every month.
    Or just go to a bank and apply for a mortgage.
    I think banks would expect you to have 20k saved approx if you are buying a house for 200k.
    I do,nt know what deposit they may expect a single person to have versus a couple buying the same house.
    I think the banks look at could you pay the loan back if rates go up by 2 per cent ,
    you salary, your deposit, what you pay in rent is not their concern.
    The easiest option is just buy a 1 bed apartment for 160-180k if you can find one at that price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I'm not sure you'd be a great candidate for a mortgage. If interest rates went up by 2 or 3% you could be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm not sure you'd be a great candidate for a mortgage. If interest rates went up by 2 or 3% you could be in trouble.

I'd say a very large number of people would be in trouble if rates went up by 3%. That's a massive increase. On a 300k property over 30yrs it would increase your monthly payment by the guts of 500eur per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I'd say a very large number of people would be in trouble if rates went up by 3%. That's a massive increase. On a 300k property over 30yrs it would increase your monthly payment by the guts of 500eur per month.

Thanks but I get how interest rate hikes work! Your example is an additional outlay of 6k per annum, or 60k per decade. The person asking is saying that, having saved for a decade, they have 17k. I'm just saying that their disposal income might be deemed by the banks to be a bit tight (if those savings are in any way representative of overall earnings). Banks will stress test now for 2% increase

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭SteM

volchitsa wrote: »
    What about buying with a friend? People do that in London, the idea being that in a few years either one of the two buys out the other or both sell and move on.

2 friends of mine did that during the last boom, it did not turn out well for them. Friends go into these things with the best of intentions but then life gets in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I don't want to say what my salary is I'm easily identifiable on here. I saved 17k in the last 10 years. I've also bought a car out right, travelled extensively and lived abroad in that time so I think 17k at the end of that is decent. I could of saved double that and had no life

I hear you. On the other end of the spectrum. While you and I may have travelled. Other people have saved and saved and not done any of those things so they can afford their own houses. It’s all about comprimising and prioritizing your goals whatever that might be in life. To get a house. Normally you would have to at least plan 3-5yrs in advance in preparation of what you want to achieve.Some I’m sure have been saving for 10years or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I don't know anyone at 28 years old making 73k . As a couple year sure but not an individual

That income figure is per application, 70% are joint applications.

To give you a comparison, 15 years ago I was saving 700 pm towards a deposit, while running a car, paying non-Dublin rent, and going on 2-3 holidays (not extravagant) each year.

Sorry to be negative, but 17k savings isn't a lot when buying a house.

The average age of FTB is 34.

Yes, many FTB are couples.

Average earnings in Ireland, incl overtime, are 46k.

• Advertisement

You'll need to subtract about €5k from that €17k as well. Solicitor's fees, stamp duty, property tax, the surveyor and the valuer all need to be paid before you draw down your mortgage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement