Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Liabilty Insurance on house viewing?

Options
  • 24-10-2018 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

Hi - this is a weird question I know but someone here is worried about it....Does anyone know what the situation is if someone comes to view your house, slips and falls down the stairs or something - is this covered by the Estate Agent's insurance? We've been told its not covered under the standard house insurance so might "need" separate cover....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭DubCount

Why not ask the specific broker or insurer? Every policy will be slightly different. If you are very concerned, ask for compensation in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wouldn't be too concerned. If you have no public liability insurance, then they'd need to prove negligence on your behalf to make you liable for their injury. Simply slipping and falling isn't enough. A solicitor will not advise someone to sue unless there is insurance behind it.

Your home insurance should cover it though. There's probably some clause about visitors being accompanied all the time or something, but I wouldn't give it too much thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭sapper

Believe me I hope not to! A few of us are selling a house we inherited and the house insurance is only bare bones fire and flood as the house is unoccupied. One of our number is a bit of a worrier as you can tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭sapper

DubCount wrote: »
    Why not ask the specific broker or insurer? Every policy will be slightly different. If you are very concerned, ask for compensation in writing.

Yes the insurance company were asked on this point and they said it wasn’t covered...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭DubCount

sapper wrote: »
    Yes the insurance company were asked on this point and they said it wasn’t covered...

In that case I would ask for cover to be extended to cover Public Liability - its probably not much cost, but it should be in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

DubCount wrote: »
    In that case I would ask for cover to be extended to cover Public Liability - its probably not much cost, but it should be in place.

Yeah, honestly, it's just the thing to do. You'll feel more relaxed when you have it. I used to have that kinda thing running through my head from time to time. For peace of mind alone, just do it.

Advertisement