Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mouse in the house

Options
  • 24-10-2018 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi all. My elderly mother rents out the granny flat on her house to a tenant. He recently complained that there are mice in the flat. She gave him a couple of traps and got a handyman to check around and repair anywhere that the mice might have been getting in. All was fine for a couple of days and then the tenant emailed to say that the repair job hadn't worked and there were still mice in his kitchen.

My mum's a bit upset now as she doesn't know what else she can really do. She's rung the handyman and asked him to come back and check again, just in case there's a missed bit. Is there anything else that can be done? What are her responsibilities here as the landlord/landlady? Would appreciate advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Immaculata wrote: »
    Hi all. My elderly mother rents out the granny flat on her house to a tenant. He recently complained that there are mice in the flat. She gave him a couple of traps and got a handyman to check around and repair anywhere that the mice might have been getting in. All was fine for a couple of days and then the tenant emailed to say that the repair job hadn't worked and there were still mice in his kitchen.

My mum's a bit upset now as she doesn't know what else she can really do. She's rung the handyman and asked him to come back and check again, just in case there's a missed bit. Is there anything else that can be done? What are her responsibilities here as the landlord/landlady? Would appreciate advice.

Call a pest control company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Mice will always come in as soon as it gets colder for us. We have a load of cats though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

pests are the tenants issue. first mistaken was for the landlord to accept to do somthing. mice rats only come for food and heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

The mouse was there before him, therefore holds greater tenancy entitlement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

pests are the tenants issue. first mistaken was for the landlord to accept to do somthing. mice rats only come for food and heat.

You sure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Immaculata wrote: »
    All was fine for a couple of days and then the tenant emailed to say that the repair job hadn't worked and there were still mice in his kitchen..

.....those aren't related....

What I mean is that repairing the bits where they may have gotten in won't get them out if they're already in. (although I'd question if you can make a house mouse proof)

Did any of them get caught by the traps?

Try setting the traps in different places, in order to get the mouse you have to become the mouse (:pac:).

Set them under the kitchen cupboards, behind the fridge, places like that, make sure to check them every day, not just for dead mice but for bait. Some mouse traps are terrible and the mice will just take the bait and walk away.

godtabh wrote: »
    You sure?

if the tenant moved in and there was an issue the landlord would take care of it. if the tenant has been there fora period of time then its the tenants.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

if the tenant moved in and there was an issue the landlord would take care of it. if the tenant has been there fora period of time then its the tenants.

From threshold

https://www.threshold.ie/advice/dealing-with-problems-during-your-tenancy/standards-and-repairs/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Had an issue with mice in a house I was renting a couple of years ago (around this time of the year too). Came across one fella on the stairs one night.

Went and bought traps myself and placed them all around the house. Caught the mouse, but unfortunately there were two more mice in other traps, so knew there were more than I thought..

I re-did the traps again and caught another couple. It quietened down fairly quick and all was grand. My plan was to inform the landlord after the second round if it happened again. But, wouldn't have bothered the landlord until I thought there was more of an issue than a couple of mice coming in, which is easily dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ross2010

We had a mouse earlier this year. Laid a variety of traps but the little lad was very clever and we were outsmarted every time. Always empty traps and bait gone. In the end had to get a pest control company out but cost a few hundred euro. He laid poison around house and left it there for a week and then he sealed up anywhere it might be getting in. He said they don't live in houses, they come in to eat and then go back to their nest outside. It seemed to work as no problem since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Came across one fella on the stairs one night.

Was he wearing clogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Borrow a cat or a small dog. Our dachshund is a great mouser :)

From threshold

https://www.threshold.ie/advice/dealing-with-problems-during-your-tenancy/standards-and-repairs/

Threshold the tenants support agency.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Threshold the tenants support agency.

Who actually state it is the tenants problem, excepting structural issues letting them in from inside or other minimum standards issues. Did you read the post or just assume the contents?

Field mice appearing this time of year get in through open doors/windows and are attracted by exposed/accessible food which would be entirely down to how the tenant is living.

However, the one mouse I've ever found in my house - electrocuted and fried within the old electrical distribution board - got in through a hole in the floor. That's a structural problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

White pepper.
    they'll sniff it and sneeze so hard they'll bash their heads off the ground... dead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭malinheader

ross2010 wrote: »
    We had a mouse earlier this year. Laid a variety of traps but the little lad was very clever and we were outsmarted every time. Always empty traps and bait gone. In the end had to get a pest control company out but cost a few hundred euro. He laid poison around house and left it there for a week and then he sealed up anywhere it might be getting in. He said they don't live in houses, they come in to eat and then go back to their nest outside. It seemed to work as no problem since.
    Try peanut butter in the trap.Deadly for them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Make sure he pays his fair share of the rent 7 doesn't leave any **** on the floor!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ensure the traps are placed along the walls, as mice rarely walk across the middle of the floor, and more often than not will walk along next to the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

First time I have seen a bit of sense from Threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Wooden traps are useless ,look in discount hardware stores ,or dealz shops, for black Snaptraps, these are plastic traps about 3 inch,s long .4 for 5 euro .large snaptraps are 10 euros, each .place in corners ,in dark places .Also place 3 or 4 in the attic.Check the traps every day.
    rats will just take the bait from a wooden trap before it goes off.

https://www.gearbest.com/pest-control/pp_1126697.html?wid=1433363&currency=EUR&vip=4450242&gclid=CjwKCAjwvNXeBRAjEiwAjqYhFtDztD3h9_uuoyPTR83-0MrxjkgCx3iRPtdZzU-qWK28Ak2NgRiA2BoCOHQQAvD_BwE
    these are the best ones to buy.
    see lenehen,s or your local hardware store.

Look for label high sensitivety , eg it means the trap goes off instantly if a mouse touches the bait.
    rats travel under floorboards or in the attic where you can,t see them .

• Advertisement
Advertisement