Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ewe to buy

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

If you have flesh aged ewes this is the week to move them and trade to younger models. 128€ for 25 heavy cast ewes in mart this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Larry processes 700 000 , theres no guarantee everyone makes €200 , a shrewd man might but the run of it is much less.

Tullow mart on facebook said hoggets were 10-15 back on last yr. A lot of hoggets sold from 165 to 180 in the show and sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭orm0nd

What are breeding hoggets expected to make this year ? Even in ordinary marts? Anyone sell some yet ?

Small show sale in Ennis today, hoggetts were good quality and generally sold from 165 to 180. If anything a lot of of the sheep on offer were carrying a little too much flesh imo no doubt others would think different.

Saw some hoggetts on DoneDeal which I thought were value over the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭kk.man

Lambman wrote: »
    Green farmer seen the best a hoggets sold for €140.

The worst of hoggets made 155 in Tullow. I was there, don't know what mart you were at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Cran

wrangler wrote: »
    They've way disimproved since first imported here, they were making between €200 and €300 years ago and I suppose everything was considered breeding quality.
    I bought the pens that were considered best in sale pfft

Moving away from them here, to inconsistent when move away from a couple of breeders and flock to closely related to them at the moment. Might go back at some stage to those breeders after couple of generations but not sure as find lleyns work best pure for replacements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Cran wrote: »
    Moving away from them here, to inconsistent when move away from a couple of breeders and flock to closely related to them at the moment. Might go back at some stage to those breeders after couple of generations but not sure as find lleyns work best pure for replacements

What road are you going to go down instead cran ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Was in raphoe in donegal seen good framed Suffolk x brownish faced ones 72kg sold for €142 because I bought them for a neighbour. Lots off nice lots sold around same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Cran

What road are you going to go down instead cran ?

Finding ewes from Logie on the Mules’s working really well, have enough young Mules to continue for couple of years & might put proven Lleyns to them as well. After that will have to decide buy more Mules or continued down closed route

Was in raphoe in donegal seen good framed Suffolk x brownish faced ones 72kg sold for €142 because I bought them for a neighbour. Lots off nice lots sold around same money.

Tullow averages were 160 - 180and only one lot made over 200e when I was there.

Raphoe goes like that I mind even last year i took the neighbor up and another local farmer and the 2 a them couldn't believe how cheap they were so they went back till next Mart and couldn't buy a thing.

• Advertisement

Raphoe goes like that I mind even last year i took the neighbor up and another local farmer and the 2 a them couldn't believe how cheap they were so they went back till next Mart and couldn't buy a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭davidk1394

What are breeding hoggets expected to make this year ? Even in ordinary marts? Anyone sell some yet ?

I put up 30 easy care hoggets on DD for €160. Two fellas came to look at them. They said they were too good for what they wanted. I’ve heard a lot of lines but “too good” was a new one to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

Any one here ever breed Belclare and mayo mountain before and bred off der ewe lambs? How did they preform

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

kk.man wrote: »
    Tullow averages were 160 - 180and only one lot made over 200e when I was there.

The buyers didn’t agree with the judge. Although he won it in real terms would of been nice for the man to have been given the correct rosette.

Willfarman wrote: »
    The buyers didn’t agree with the judge. Although he won it in real terms would of been nice for the man to have been given the correct rosette.

I've disagreed with the judges there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I put up 30 easy care hoggets on DD for €160. Two fellas came to look at them. They said they were too good for what they wanted. I’ve heard a lot of lines but “too good” was a new one to me.

If I get top dollar for my hoggets, I’ll give you a buzz. Going to run either a easycare ram or buy in some easycare ewe lambs this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

If I get top dollar for my hoggets, I’ll give you a buzz. Going to run either a easycare ram or buy in some easycare ewe lambs this year.

What’s top dollar though?

Look at dowry mart on Facebook hoggets seem well back there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Look at dowry mart on Facebook hoggets seem well back there as well.

If its Dowra Mart you meant they def weren't back in price there this week.I was there and anything of any quality was making plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Mine has a charcoal colored head
    I’ve Suffolk x Texel with black head

Something that I always wonder and kind of going off topic, but when you say Suffolk x texel does it mean Suffolk ram or ewe? Is it always a given that the first breed is the ewe or the ram? I assume ram but you all know what assume did 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Something that I always wonder and kind of going off topic, but when you say Suffolk x texel does it mean Suffolk ram or ewe? Is it always a given that the first breed is the ewe or the ram? I assume ram but you all know what assume did 😄

That's a good question. I assumed the same as you! First breed was ram x with ewe breed. Then I do always wonder what would be the difference. Would there be much a difference between a Suffolk x texel then a texel x Suffolk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

MeTheMan wrote: »
    That's a good question. I assumed the same as you! First breed was ram x with ewe breed. Then I do always wonder what would be the difference. Would there be much a difference between a Suffolk x texel then a texel x Suffolk?

Ya you’d say overall there should be much the same traits in the offspring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Suffolk ram x Texel Ewe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Have crisscrossed those 2 breeds here
    Either cross has given good ewes
    Have also Suffolk x Suffolk and Texel x Texal
    Maybe it’s the rams genetics but Texel x are harder work (handling & herding)
    We lamb all outside with no issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone here keep hiltex ewes if so how do you find them?

DJ98 wrote: »
    Anyone here keep hiltex ewes if so how do you find them?

Yea first ewes ever I bought... very little bother with them can get odd flighty one... good on there feet heaps a milk and great mothers lovely lambs back till a texel... have ewes there 7 year old now and most will be going back till the ram. The more brown/grey in the face the better I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Anybody try crossing horned ewes with a charrlois are that any easier finished than a texel?

Crossed them a few times here. Cudnt fault them not sure if there any easier finished but they finished along with the rest of the lambs off the mule and Suffolk x ewes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

wrangler wrote: »
    The sheep the seller bought as lambs and fed on and we bought are all culled
    He asked the OH to speak at their open day......... I think he got an earful :D

Just an update on my Lleyns, a ram that I bought last year, champion Lleyn in Tullamore last year, Went lame three weeks ago, I couldn't cure him so went to the vet, he diagnosed septic arthritis, back legs of course, so we gave him a strong antibiotic and a course of anti inflamatries, which cured him.
    We fertility tested him yesterday,as he had a very high temp for a few days until he got the right antibiotic, so he's alright

Advertisement