Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man in NI hit by lightning

Options
  • 13-02-2005 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

Man injured by lightning strike

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4261865.stm
    A County Antrim man has said he is lucky to be alive after a bolt of lightning passed through his body.

David Reilly was in bed when his house at Castlehill Gardens, Ballymoney, was struck by lightning at about 0100 GMT on Saturday.

The strike blew the slates off the roof, demolished upstairs ceilings, and blew electrical sockets out and televisions off the walls.

Mr Reilly was taken to hospital for burns to his hand and foot.

He said the hospital staff believed his injuries were caused by "the force of the electricity passing through my hand and out my foot".

The lightning struck as Mr Reilly was watching television in bed.

"I was just about to turn the TV off when there was an almighty explosion," he said.

"Everything went dark. The ceilings fell on me. I got up and I didn't know where I was. The bang was that loud I was disorientated."

The blast ignited a small fire in Mr Reilly's seven-year-old daughter's bedroom and he climbed into the roofspace to put it out.

Fortunately, both the child and her mother were staying in England at the time.

He said his little girl would have been killed had she been in the house.

"I looked round me and I couldn't believe my eyes. It is devastating," he said.

Meanwhile, storm force winds have swept across Northern Ireland, causing power cuts and fallen trees.

The Met Office said winds of almost 80 miles per hour were recorded on the north and east coasts.

At the height of the storms, about 9,000 homes were left without power, mainly in the Ards Peninsula, Downpatrick and Newry areas.

A number of roads were blocked by fallen trees. The areas affected included Magherafelt, Ballymoney, Kesh, Dungiven and Lisburn.

Rob Black from the Met Office said the force of the winds was "strong enough to cause some structural damage".

The police said driving conditions were difficult in a number of areas, and urged motorists to slow down and allow extra time for their journeys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Cripes! That was lucky.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭mike2084

I don't understand why people won't use some form of lightning conducter in this country. Wouldn't any long piece of metal do as long as it was the highest point on the building and properly earthed into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Lightning is not a major problem here, people don't expect it too much.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭mike2084

Maybe so, but I think we're getting more of than we used to. Of course it could just be that i'm terrified of it so i tend to accurately recall every time it happens :eek:

Advertisement