Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Francis - 24th/25th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

In the 80s it would be a called a wet and windy night!!
    Naming hurricanes in the US makes sense, but here its just ridiculous.
    Don't get me wrong we get bad storms like last week but the word stormy will do!

To be honest I’m starting to agree, I thought naming the storms was a good idea but now it’s after losing its impact.

Personally I think storms should only be named in Ireland if it shows clear red alert potential. It would mean Met Éireann naming a storm would be significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Large amounts of continuous heavy rain up here, my weather station is broken, but there are a good few inches in the wheelbarrow which was empty at 19:00.

We cleared and re dug the drains above the house on the mountain a few days ago, just been out and the drains are flowing fast and over topping.. Hopefully it will start to ease in a few hours, but I will have to stay up and check the drains every hour.

No wind to speak of - just rain..

600 FT ASL - McGillycuddy Reeks - West Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Tonight is more about rain and possible flooding

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some rain falling on the mountains and high ground.

MbhBnma.png

1.7mm so far just west of Athlone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

No rain in D4 yet the radar has us covered. Any explanations?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭kifi

torres9kop wrote: »

The same just two miles north of Trim. Dry as a bone but radar shows otherwise?

The rain here has now moderated to very heavy, about 30 minutes ago it was extreme, you can see a band of red on the radar in west Kerry heading for Killarney.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

7.6mm so far with a rain rate of 2.5mm/h

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement

torres9kop wrote: »

Radar picks up rain that does not hit the ground also. Being at the leading edge this is probably falling from high up and evaporating before reaching the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Heavy rain Cork, flooding again

Latest AROME 18Z just rolling out

Heavy rain in Tralee, 14mm

anim_djk7.gif

anim_tbr1.gif

anim_jve3.gif

aromehd-52-24-0_ulr0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Listening to windblown rain out here Atmospheric. Snugged in. This is only really just starting. It is certainly louder than a few minutes ago. But a youngster yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cork airport at 17.1 up to 11pm already

https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1298025749899882502?s=20
    https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1298026057312993286?s=20

And so it begins with the already very waterlogged Cork County. Very heavy rain now

1.7mm so far just west of Athlone.
    Now 4mm

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Now 4mm

Not seen the Shannon this high so early in Athlone

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Not seen the Shannon this high so early in Athlone
    Just wait until the water cascades down from the north, I expect it will be rising for several days after this event is over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Just wait until the water cascades down from the north, I expect it will be rising for several days after this event is over.

Not every river from north goes south, think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Xtrail14 wrote: »

mind boogling many flow south to north down under and many just flow where ever they please

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is actually rather... comforting... snug abed listening to the elements howling and spattering, with the only real hazard the inevitable arrival of a certain long haired cat who will insist on sharing my bed.

Wishing all here safety and ease this night. And hoping it does not exceed safe limits.

Xtrail14 wrote: »
    Look up the catchment area of the Shannon basin north of Athlone.

edit: I looked it up for you.
    shannon-catchment-area.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Pissing rain in North Cork in a way that sounds fantastic but will hit my land hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Heavy rain falling around ennis for the last 45 mins, local flooding is already guaranteed, hopefully it will clear before morning

Rain really calmed down now, not even heavy just light rain.

Clearance arriving gin the SW, looks like Convection off the N Kerry/ Clare coast

BI5cwWL.gif

nyjL0JU.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

47.7mm at Valentia according to WOW. Would make a top 3 wettest August day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Very heavy rain coastal wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Bit windy. Spot of rain. Waterford.

Advertisement