Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inheritance of land

• 23-09-2020 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Has anyone here inherited land or is ready to inherit land from your parents and then running the land yourself becomes a nightmare as they always still feel they have input and feel they are running the show still on the farm eventhough you now own it or will own it?

I am having this problem myself. I work full time in another job. My dad is semi retired but still farms a bit with drystock. He is running operations at present but in 2 years i will be in charge. I know when the time comes he will still feel he has the input and will be arguing with me if things aren't done the way he does things. We have had numerous arguments and in my mid thirtys now I feel like walking away and let him keep the farm and do what he wants with it. It would save me the hassle of dealing with this. I am thinking of letting him find someone else who will farm it eventhough my name will be on it. I did the green cert a few years ago and i feel its been all a waste to me. I have interest in farming but just as a small hobby. I wouldn't have a massive interest in it. I had an argument with my dad again yesterday over operations on the farm and we arent talking since. Im thinking life isn't worth this hassle.

Really not sure what to do. Thanks for advice in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭893bet

What was the argument over?

I recently inherited but my father still does a lot of the work. Lucky to have him! When he ain’t there the work load on me will be a lot higher, the tax bill will be a lot higher and my cattle quality will be a little lower (as he has the time to feed a shake of nuts to a weak animal and mind that while the eat etc.), mortality will be higher.

My advice without knowing your relationship.....appreciate his input. Bite your tongue. There will a time come when he is just not able.

You are coming across as very entitled “save your the hassle of dealing with this”....”find someone else to farm it but put it in my name”.

Do you need to step back and look at the bigger picture maybe? Hard to know from the single post. Maybe your auld lad is an awful bollox!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭blackbox

How old is your Dad? Is he fit and able?

Why is he transferring it to you if he still wants to run it himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

893bet wrote: »
    What was the argument over?

I recently inherited but my father still does a lot of the work. Lucky to have him! When he ain’t there the work load on me will be a lot higher, the tax bill will be a lot higher and my cattle quality will be a little lower (as he has the time to feed a shake of nuts to a weak animal and mind that while the eat etc.), mortality will be higher.

My advice without knowing your relationship.....appreciate his input. Bite your tongue. There will a time come when he is just not able.

You are coming across as very entitled “save your the hassle of dealing with this”....”find someone else to farm it but put it in my name”.

Do you need to step back and look at the bigger picture maybe? Hard to know from the single post. Maybe your auld lad is an awful bollox!

I love his help and experience input but if i had any ideas of doing work on the farm i.e cutting trees down etc on the farm he would argue with me over that or even improve structures in farm. If he didnt agree with any input or ideas i had it would lead to an argument. It wouldnt be a case where both of us could compromise.

That's where the problem is. If you own the land you expect to be able to do the correct thing with advice but you should have the final call. That's where my problem is. We cant agree even there.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭The11Duff

Hi there

Has anyone here inherited land or is ready to inherit land from your parents and then running the land yourself becomes a nightmare as they always still feel they have input and feel they are running the show still on the farm eventhough you now own it or will own it?

I am having this problem myself. I work full time in another job. My dad is semi retired but still farms a bit with drystock. He is running operations at present but in 2 years i will be in charge. I know when the time comes he will still feel he has the input and will be arguing with me if things aren't done the way he does things. We have had numerous arguments and in my mid thirtys now I feel like walking away and let him keep the farm and do what he wants with it. It would save me the hassle of dealing with this. I am thinking of letting him find someone else who will farm it eventhough my name will be on it. I did the green cert a few years ago and i feel its been all a waste to me. I have interest in farming but just as a small hobby. I wouldn't have a massive interest in it. I had an argument with my dad again yesterday over operations on the farm and we arent talking since. Im thinking life isn't worth this hassle.

Really not sure what to do. Thanks for advice in advance.

From my own experience I found that when my father handed over, he would still offer his advice/opinion but i held on to the fact that the bills are in my name now so its my way, end of.
    I was maybe a little different from your own set of circumstances as I already was farming another farm.

But remember your father will always be the best bet for when you need help, as long as he is able

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Pistachio19

Are you being gifted the land - as in will it all be in your name? If so he will then have no input. A very similar situation happened with a friend's husband. He was promised the land, gave up his job, spent every hour of the day farming but under his father's watch. It quickly became apparent that the father was never going to allow the changes and modernisation that friend wanted/needed to do. So he walked after a few months. He doesn't even help out now. My friend was not 100% on board as she could see that things would not change while his father was still alive. It caused stress for them as a couple. If your father is not going to sign that farm over to you now and step back, then I'd be hesitant to take on any work on it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Are you being gifted the land - as in will it all be in your name? If so he will then have no input. A very similar situation happened with a friend's husband. He was promised the land, gave up his job, spent every hour of the day farming but under his father's watch. It quickly became apparent that the father was never going to allow the changes and modernisation that friend wanted/needed to do. So he walked after a few months. He doesn't even help out now. My friend was not 100% on board as she could see that things would not change while his father was still alive. It caused stress for them as a couple. If your father is not going to sign that farm over to you now and step back, then I'd be hesitant to take on any work on it at all.

I have a wife and family and i dont want it causing us stress. Running it isn't a problem. It's the fact that once it gets signed over he is never going to step away. I am very open to advice and recommendations but if I don't want to do a certain aspect that he suggests then it would only lead to an argument and none of us would be in the better of it afterwards. I don't want any stress for any decisions i make and he disagrees with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Pistachio19

It would be a lot of hassle to take it on especially as you already have a job and you are not 100% interested in farming. If you loved, lived and breathed it, it would make your decision easier and you might be able to tolerate your father's input. But as it stands, unless he can swear he'll back off, or you can ignore his wishes if they don't suit you (causing him upset) then you are looking at the same arguments and stress for the next god knows how many years. Will it really be worth it? Do you think he'd be devastated if you walked away now or would he accept it?

At the end of the day you need to do what is right for you, your wife and kids. If life in your chosen career is working for you all and you are happy with what you do for your job, then that might be the path to stay on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭893bet

I have a wife and family and i dont want it causing us stress. Running it isn't a problem. It's the fact that once it gets signed over he is never going to step away. I am very open to advice and recommendations but if I don't want to do a certain aspect that he suggests then it would only lead to an argument and none of us would be in the better of it afterwards. I don't want any stress for any decisions i make and he disagrees with.

What age is he?

Ultimately if he transfer it over then it’s yours. The cheques will come to you, same as the bills.

I would try to find middle ground. It’s hard for older farmers I think to see value in spending money To make life on the farm a little easier. When they never worked a full time job and had responsibilities around the house with kids on top of farming. A decent bit of fencing, the right tool, a piece of machinery etc.

Try and work together and appreciate that his labour and experience is involved. He is farming 60 years at this stage I assume. Sure, he can’t measure grass with a measuring plate......he can probably do it with his eye.

Advertisement