Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SNES issue

• 16-09-2017 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭

After playing and completing a few games on the Xbox One and DS recently, I've started to enjoy games again so I decided to dig out my SNES tonight. It hasn't been played much over the last good few years, it gets taken out every 7 or 8 months and played for an evening. Just like every other SNES I've played, it does the usual not reading cartridges on first attempt. But give them a quick blow and all would be fine.
    However, tonight was different. I tried three diffferent games and I could only get one of them to work, no matter how many attempts I made. The one game that did work, took multiple attempts also. I noticed that sometimes when I turned on the SNES, the tv would realise there was a signal, but it would be a black screen. Other times, even though the SNES was on, the tv wasn't getting a signal. Does anybody have any idea what the issue might be and if it's a quick fix? Or is there somewhere that could repair it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Your doing well to get it working. I don't think the components are designed to work 25 years +.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The SNES is a very robust machine.
    I've had a few and none have failed, same goes for the Megadrive.
    Sounds like the AV cable could be dodgy, particularly of you aren't getting any signal at all.
    Have you tried it on alternative displays?
    Can you borrow another set of cables to try?
    There might be some on Adverts going cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

The SNES or AV cable didn't move at all from the time I got one game working to trying another, yet the tv wasn't picking up any signal. I did think it could be the cable also, so did a bit of moving around with it, but nothing helped.
    I didn't try it on a different tv, I'll try that over the next day or two. The tv I was using tonight is a fairly new tv and it was the first time I'd used the SNES on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 steocullen91

I noticed that happens sometimes. That's normal where the TV gets a signal sometimes and not other times, mine always does that when games won't read. Get a cotton bud and something like rubbing alcohol or even just slightly dampen one and clean the pins on the cartridges themselves. You wouldn't believe how much dirt does come off them.

I have awful trouble everytime with my flash cart and my street fighter turbo cart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Inviere

I had that before with a Snes....I opened it, removed the cart slot (two screws), and cleaned the contacts...was perfect then.

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    I had that before with a Snes....I opened it, removed the cart slot (two screws), and cleaned the contacts...was perfect then.

Where did you get the screwdriver to open the SNES?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

BDJW wrote: »

You can get them on ebay. Really handy to have as you can get into carts too to replace batteries.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Gamebit-Security-Tools-3-8-4-5mm-for-Opening-NES-SNES-N64-Game-Boy-/162254202323?epid=563457021&hash=item25c71aa5d3:g:pf8AAOSwx2dYD2Kh

I remember using a BIC pen and a lighter before, but I think that was for cart screws. (Just heat up the nib of the pen and let it melt and cool around the screw - once it hardens you have a gamebit screwdriver)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sounds like dirty cartridge contacts. Get some q-tips and give them a good scrub with alcohol. If you don't have alcohol then water works as well but you'll need to give them a good dry afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Inviere

BDJW wrote: »

Can't remember now, but as above, they're easily gotten. They're called GameBit screwdrivers, & there's two different sizes that Ninty use so be sure to get both.

Thanks lads, will order those screwdrivers later. Has anybody used vodka in place of rubbing alcohol? I presume it does the same job and just to make sure the cart and pins are dried off properly?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You'd want to wash with water after using vodka just to be safe you don't short the connectors with anything precipitating out on to the connectors.

Advertisement