Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Ramps - Rules?

Options
  • 18-05-2016 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Does anyone know if there are rules about how to drive over ramps when there are the 3 little ones going across the road. I know most people sort of swerve around them (if it's safe to do so) so you're driving closer to the kerb or the middle of the road.

My husband did his driving test this morning (and passed thankfully) but the tester told him he was supposed to swerve around them and not drive over them which sounds wrong to me and defeats the purpose a bit? Just curious if anyone knows what the real rule is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,563 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Dobbit wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are rules about how to drive over ramps when there are the 3 little ones going across the road. I know most people sort of swerve around them (if it's safe to do so) so you're driving closer to the kerb or the middle of the road.

My husband did his driving test this morning (and passed thankfully) but the tester told him he was supposed to swerve around them and not drive over them which sounds wrong to me and defeats the purpose a bit? Just curious if anyone knows what the real rule is.

They're there to allow buses not be impacted by the ramps.

It's the first I've heard of cars being supposed to swerve!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're called bus cushions.

Good practice would be to drive (not swerve) around them where conditions allow - i.e. you're not going to be swerving erratically all over the road or making yourself a danger to oncoming traffic.

Advertisement