Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 SNES Games

Options
  • 01-09-2013 8:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭

Just wondering what people's top 10 SNES games are. Looking to start some interesting chat, thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

gavingaz wrote: »
    Just wondering what people's top 10 SNES games are. Looking to start some interesting chat, thanks guys.

In no particular order, here's 9.. not able to commit to number 10 as there are too many good games.

Zelda ALTTP
    Super Metroid
    Chrono Trigger
    Earthbound
    Super Mario World
    Secret of Mana
    Secret of Evermore
    Super Double Dragon
    Final Fantasy VI

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭gavingaz

o1s1n wrote: »
    In no particular order;

Zelda ALTTP
    Super Metroid
    Chrono Trigger
    Earthbound
    Super Mario World
    Secret of Mana
    Secret of Evermore
    Super Double Dragon
    Final Fantasy VI

There's 9 there, but I'll forgive you because they're all good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

In no particular order.

Mario All Stars/Mario World Double Cart
    Sunset Riders
    F Zero
    Turtles in Time
    Donkey Kong Country
    Super Mario Kart
    Rock N Roll Racing
    Super Metroid
    Earthworm Jim
    Secret of Mana

In no particular order.

Mario All Stars/Mario World Double Cart
    Sunset Riders
    F Zero
    Turtles in Time
    Donkey Kong Country
    Mario Kart
    Rock N Roll Racing
    Metroid
    Earthworm Jim
    Secret of Mana

Do you mean Super Metroid? Metroid was on the NES.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Yes, Sorry Super Metroid, could also substitute Pugsleys Scavenger Hunt for any of the ten mentioned.

• Advertisement

Yes, Sorry Super Metroid, could also substitute Pugsleys Scavenger Hunt for any of the ten mentioned.

Good old Pugsley, underrated classic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Super Metroid
    Earthbound
    Chrono Trigger
    Super Mario World
    Final Fantasy V (could be VI depending on what day it is)
    Shin Megami Tensei 2
    Super Castlevania IV
    Megaman X
    Link to the Past
    Axelay

Notable mentions: Actraiser, Secret of Mana, Majuu Ou, Soul Blazer, Wild Guns, Demon's Crest, Umihara Kawase, The Firemen, EVO.

Master of the Universe

Super Castlevania IV, knew I was forgetting something. There's my number 10.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Super Metroid
    Batman Returns
    Super Mario World
    Alien 3
    Super Star Wars
    Stunt Race FX
    Cybernator
    Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures
    Zelda LttP
    Chronotrigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Link to the past
    Chrono Trigger
    Final Fantasy III(6)
    Super Metroid
    Yoshi's Island
    Donkey Kong Country 2
    Super Mario World
    Megaman X
    Secret of Mana
    EarthBound

If you're into two player games Street fighter 2 turbo, Super Mario Kart and Sunset Riders are 3 of the best ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

ISS Deluxe
    Street Fighter 2 Turbo
    Mario Kart
    Secret of Mana
    Mario World
    Cybernator
    Yoshi's Island
    Zelda LTTP
    Super Probotector
    Smash TV

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

In no particular order and only English language releases.

Super Mario World
    Street Fighter II Turbo
    Starwing
    Unirally
    Link to the Past
    Super Metroid
    Super Mario Kart
    Final Fantasy II (IV)
    Final Fantasy III (VI)
    USA '94 (seriously, a hugely underrated/unknown game)
    Mega Man X

That's eleven, but I couldn't leave any of them out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looks like Snes top tens are covering fairly common ground, and those games that don't make general top tens I think everyone can agree are pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen (definitely best strategy game for SNES)
    Final Fantasy VI

Are two that instantly come to mind. Final Fantasy IV and V are also good.

Earthworm Jim
    Zombies ate my Neighbours
    Zelda Link to the Past
    Chrono Trigger

Wasn't the MD version of Earthworm Jim a lot better though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Yes it was, much better animation and higher resolution.

I wouldn't put either version anywhere near a top ten though. Look past the gorgeous graphics and the game is quite shallow like all of Dave Perry's games. And hiding that air station during the final submarine section was pure bad level design and a dick move of the highest order.

Master of the Universe

Looks like Snes top tens are covering fairly common ground, and those games that don't make general top tens I think everyone can agree are pretty good.

There's a selection of Snes games that are just so good, they're 'best game ever made good'.

You really can't ignore them...therefore lots of games which could be considered great get left off lists. :(

I really love Pac Attack, Rushing Beat (Nostalgia reasons!) and Zombies Ate my Neighbours for example, but can't put them near a top 10 list as there's no way they come close to Earthbound, Super Metroid, ALTTP, Chrono Trigger etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

I have to check it out, my brother had a MD but he never bought many games for it. It stills works, I played some Ecco the dolphin on it last weekend and Shenobi. Those bloody annoying nuns!

The MegaCD version of Earthworm Jim is the best of all though.

Never thought Earthworm Jim games are more than average plat-formers, or am I missing something

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

nuxxx wrote: »
    Never thought Earthworm Jim games are more than average plat-formers, or am I missing something

Pretty much. Comedy aspect made them more entertaining than a regular average platformer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

Super Mario World
    Axalay
    Contra II the alien wars
    Street Fighter II
    Starwing
    Goemon
    Super Ghouls and Ghost
    Super Mario Kart
    Pocky & Rocky
    Rtype 2

No
    you're just a big Blue meanie! ;)

A pox on Super R-type and the developers for not including mid stage checkpoints.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A pox on Super R-type and the developers for not including mid stage checkpoints.

R type 3 is a good improvement.

Ciderman no idea what you're saying there

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Be better at the game :P

I enjoyed both Rtypes on the Snes, must have another blast at them.

And as for you Mr Nuxx, if that is your real name, go back to chasing Liverpudlian musicians in yellow submarines if you please!

If you'll exuse me I'm off to Cape Kennedy to launch a few cows, watch your head!

I enjoyed both Rtypes on the Snes, must have another blast at them.

And as for you Mr Nuxx, if that is your real name, go back to chasing Liverpudlian musicians in yellow submarines if you please!

If you'll exuse me I'm off to Cape Kennedy to launch a few cows, watch your head!

I love threads like this, couldn't resist one on my fave platform ever.

1-Zelda ALTTP (best i played on the system by a mile, arguably the best game of it's generation too and one of Miyamoto's crown jewels)
    2-Super Mario All Stars
    3 Super Mario World (am including this separately to All Stars because they really were different games, developed separately etc)
    4-Super Mario Kart (i spent so much time playing it it would be wrong NOT to include it)
    5-Yoshi's Island
    6-F-Zero (controversial i know, but i really liked it, and it really showed off the SNES hardware. Quite an achievement for a launch title)
    7-Zombies Ate My Neighbors (brilliant fun)
    8-Megaman X (how to do a learning curve in 16bit platforming)
    9-Donkey Cong Country (the RARE pre-rendered graphics were mindblowing at the time)
    10-Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Notable mentions, i didn't put in, mostly as i haven't completed them: Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Secret of Mana
    Ones i love that aren't top ten: Super Tetris & Doctor Mario (amazing 2 player tetris. I didn't include starfox because i hated it (and still do).

Also, i've mostly steered clear of arcade conversion stuff like Super Ghouls & Ghosts, The street fighters, Mortal kombat, Final Fight, Sunset riders, etc. They would have been higher on my list before the advent of emulation, but now i don't see much point in firing up a knockoff port when i can just as easily play the original on MAME. Controversial, i know...

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Megaman X seems to be getting a lot of love. Is it really that good?

Briefly played it for a little while when I got it in the post recently - found it a bit bland and sluggish. I take it picks up?

Advertisement