Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

De Valera & Hitler's Book of Condolence

Options
  • 06-05-2013 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Like everyone I've heard many times that De Valera infamously signed the book of condolence for Hitler. But where is the book now?? And is there a picture availible of Dev's signature and comment? Who else signed it? Was Dev the first signature in the book, afterall it was said the German diplomats were surprised when Dev walked in, did they have to set up a book especially.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

TheLB wrote: »
    Like everyone I've heard many times that De Valera infamously signed the book of condolence for Hitler. But where is the book now?? And is there a picture availible of Dev's signature and comment? Who else signed it? Was Dev the first signature in the book, afterall it was said the German diplomats were surprised when Dev walked in, did they have to set up a book especially.

Any help appreciated.

Was it not a letter rather than a book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TheLB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

My dad, who was on the other side during the Civil War, did not go to Mr DeValera's funeral, but he wrote a letter saying that he approved of it.

[With apologies to Mark Twain.]

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TheLB

I did a bit of digging and I have found out the following:

http://doras.dcu.ie/2167/1/isia_19_2008_devine.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Douglas Hyde also paid a visit to the embassy, this was only made known in 2005.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hyde-and-de-valera-offered-condolences-on-hitlers-death-25954338.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Was he ever asked, after the full atrocities of the Nazi regime came to light, how he felt about offering condolences?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Was he ever asked, after the full atrocities of the Nazi regime came to light, how he felt about offering condolences?

Good question. I can't answer it but I am not sure that politicians in the 1950s and 1950s did many if any interviews but this gives a little information. Google book link

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Neutronale

TheLB wrote: »
    I did a bit of digging and I have found out the following:

http://doras.dcu.ie/2167/1/isia_19_2008_devine.pdf

I'd imagine all the neutrals were interested in how the others were treating this situation, that seems to be born out by the national archives. The Swiss seemed to be formulating a form of action which included: a visit to the German embassy, and to personally leave cards.

Interestingly there were "large numbers of sympathisers waiting their turn to sign" (I think this is referring to the Madrid embassy rather than Dublin).

What the above tells us is that we are seeing these events very much through glasses which are heavily reliant on hind-sight and modern notions of real politik rather than diplomatic niceties of 1940s vintage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Good, if rather short, article by Diarmuid Ferriter in the Irish Times about how our neutrality during the War is becoming "unfashionable."

I think much of the criticism of Ireland's action, or inaction, during the war comes from a bunch of hypocritical, pompous stuffed shirts with their own agendas who are in little position to criticise a small country for behaving in its own interest.

And that includes our esteemed Justice Minister.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Jeez. I agree with Snickers Man:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

tac foley wrote: »
    My dad, who was on the other side during the Civil War, did not go to Mr DeValera's funeral, but he wrote a letter saying that he approved of it.

[With apologies to Mark Twain.]

tac

The other side? The other side of what?

Jeez. I agree with Snickers Man:eek:

Why wouldn't you? :confused:

Snickers Man is NEVER wrong. :D

Jeez! Now I'm agreeing with the Sunday Independent :eek:

And they're nearly ALWAYS wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Neutronale wrote: »
    I'd imagine all the neutrals were interested in how the others were treating this situation, that seems to be born out by the national archives. The Swiss seemed to be formulating a form of action which included: a visit to the German embassy, and to personally leave cards.

Interestingly there were "large numbers of sympathisers waiting their turn to sign" (I think this is referring to the Madrid embassy rather than Dublin).

What the above tells us is that we are seeing these events very much through glasses which are heavily reliant on hind-sight and modern notions of real politik rather than diplomatic niceties of 1940s vintage.

At least the Swiss got the "NAZI" gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

syklops wrote: »
    The other side? The other side of what?

My father was in the Free State Army - how much more of another side can that be, when Mr DeValera and his pals were opposed to the Treaty?

Or have I somehow missed out something somewhere, and there were actually more than two sides in the Irish Civil War?

If this is so, please put me right.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Good, if rather short, article by Diarmuid Ferriter in the Irish Times about how our neutrality during the War is becoming "unfashionable."

I think much of the criticism of Ireland's action, or inaction, during the war comes from a bunch of hypocritical, pompous stuffed shirts with their own agendas who are in little position to criticise a small country for behaving in its own interest.

And that includes our esteemed Justice Minister.
    true, it's easy in hindsight to see the glorious Anglo-American armies taking on the demonic Nazi-Nip forces, but at the time it was the great powers in the world going to war. I mean, if America right now were to fight China for control of Asia, we would surely agree that the U.S. treats its people more humanely than China and would also treat conquered people more humanely, but does that mean we would ally with them? Hardly. No country joined WW2 until it affected their interest, either being invaded, the threat of invasion, or the threat of losing their status.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

goose2005 wrote: »
    true, it's easy in hindsight to see the glorious Anglo-American armies taking on the demonic Nazi-Nip forces, but at the time it was the great powers in the world going to war. I mean, if America right now were to fight China for control of Asia, we would surely agree that the U.S. treats its people more humanely than China and would also treat conquered people more humanely, but does that mean we would ally with them? Hardly. No country joined WW2 until it affected their interest, either being invaded, the threat of invasion, or the threat of losing their status.

Brazil?

Advertisement