Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HHKdjklashdadouwqepou;!!!!!!ujweou!!

• 24-06-2011 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

So thats how you spell that noise Homer makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

It reflects the near-stroke I just had looking at that crazy person's photos.

I've had a severe crisis. JUST LOOK AT ALL THOSE SPINE CARDS!!!!!! INTACT TOO!!!!!

I need a lie down... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As much as I don't really get sealed game collecting, something has to be said for the pure aesthetic of it. So many games owned simply for the sake of a collection. It's pretty mind blowing.

It's all about the spine cards o1s1n. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I musnt be a game collector then, as I like to play the games not have them sealed away. Thats a relief as its costing me enough as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

o1s1n wrote: »
    As much as I don't really get sealed game collecting, something has to be said for the pure aesthetic of it. So many games owned simply for the sake of a collection. It's pretty mind blowing.

Give me a decent printer , a collection of scans , a load of empty DC boxes ,700 odd 'IOL-online' cds and a shrink wrapper , and I can give you the same thing [and no-one else will EVER know];)

I'm not a fan of collecting sealed games to be honest , much as I like the artwork and style of retro game boxes , games were meant to be played , not just looked at.
    I know its other peoples bag , but I cant really understand the appeal of it...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Agreed. You've effectively payed money for nothing otherwise. It's not like a painting where you buy it to look at it, the sole purpose of games is that they are played. The box it comes in is just packaging, sometimes very nice, but always meant to be opened.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    The box it comes in is just packaging, sometimes very nice, but always meant to be opened.

Very true. Though I confess to having spine card OCD.

Could the same statement about sealed games apply if you owned Stadium Events? :confused:

Master of the Universe

People appreciate and get kicks from different things in different ways. Guys who collect sealed games get something from it, so they're not really paying money for nothing.

The painting comparison is an interesting one, as that's pretty much what they are doing. There are people out there who appreciate the aesthetic of videogames and have no interest in playing them whatsoever.

It's odd but true! I guess it's good in a way, as it means perfect examples of games are being archived for future generations.

People appreciate and get kicks from different things in different ways.

1962586_f520.jpg
    I guess it's good in a way, as it means perfect examples of games are being archived for future generations.

Agreed.

• Advertisement

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Very true. Though I confess to having spine card OCD.

Could the same statement about sealed games apply if you owned Stadium Events? :confused:

We all have our OCDs I reckon. :)

Yes to Stadium Events, unless games collecting is a way of making money for a person then why shouldn't they be played. I'd want to know what it's like to play for real (not on an emu for example).

Actually it leads onto something I've been thinking about for a while - what do people here think will happen to your collections years down the line? Will you fall out of love with gaming and give it away/sell it off? Maybe try and get your kids into them? Many times we've said we never have time to play these games we're collecting. The reality is we will probably never get to play them all, do we have a fantasy that we'll win the lotto, give up work and play games all day? :pac:
    Maybe they are philosophical rather than gaming specific questions.

People appreciate and get kicks from different things in different ways. Guys who collect sealed games get something from it, so they're not really paying money for nothing.

The painting comparison is an interesting one, as that's pretty much what they are doing. There are people out there who appreciate the aesthetic of videogames and have no interest in playing them whatsoever.

It's odd but true! I guess it's good in a way, as it means perfect examples of games are being archived for future generations.

Interesting points. But to me atleast that's a very strange hobby to have - buy something but not use it for it's intended purpose. Buy a classic car but not drive it.

But what's the point of preserving perfect examples for future generations if they will never be played? Or will these mysterious super rich collectors one day leave all their treasures to a gaming museum - no point in that unless people get to play them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Actually it leads onto something I've been thinking about for a while - what do people here think will happen to your collections years down the line? Will you fall out of love with gaming and give it away/sell it off?
    14409018f1c44ee77087d40214a23f05.jpg?1277085169

Master of the Universe

We all have our OCDs I reckon. :)

Yes to Stadium Events, unless games collecting is a way of making money for a person then why shouldn't they be played. I'd want to know what it's like to play for real (not on an emu for example). .

I'm the exact same. No matter how expensive a game I have is, it's going to get played! At least once anyway just to see what it's like.

I'll be careful putting it in the cart slot though....!
    Actually it leads onto something I've been thinking about for a while - what do people here think will happen to your collections years down the line? Will you fall out of love with gaming and give it away/sell it off? Maybe try and get your kids into them? Many times we've said we never have time to play these games we're collecting. The reality is we will probably never get to play them all, do we have a fantasy that we'll win the lotto, give up work and play games all day? :pac:
    Maybe they are philosophical rather than gaming specific questions.

Ah, I know what you mean. Everyone who spends time collecting thinks about it at one time or another...what's the point of even collecting as you're going to eventually die anyway? Your collection will probably be split up. That's why I try to play my stuff as much as possible..and everything gets modded if it can be.

Ideally I'd love to pass it along to a child who loves it as much as I do... but then again, by that point it'll probably be a heap of worthless junk that doesn't work anymore :D

Interesting points. But to me atleast that's a very strange hobby to have - buy something but not use it for it's intended purpose. Buy a classic car but not drive it. .

I suppose you could say the same about stamps :D
    But what's the point of preserving perfect examples for future generations if they will never be played? Or will these mysterious super rich collectors one day leave all their treasures to a gaming museum - no point in that unless people get to play them.

Think of it this way, artifacts in a museum don't get used. Do you go into a museum of farming and start digging away with a plow? No, they stay on display as an example of what the item was like in perfect or whatever other condition.

Not only is there a history to videogames, there's also a history to their packaging, marketing and presentation. Every game deserves to be opened and played, but it's nice (for historical and archival reasons) to have some which aren't. :)

Think of it this way, artifacts in a museum don't get used. Do you go into a museum of farming and start digging away with a plow? No, they stay on display as an example of what the item was like in perfect or whatever other condition.

Not only is there a history to videogames, there's also a history to their packaging, marketing and presentation. Every game deserves to be opened and played, but it's nice (for historical and archival reasons) to have some which aren't. :)

You're moving slightly away from the point though: what is the point of sealed games. The plough was used in the first place, the ancient Eqyptian pottery was used in the first place. Neither compare to sealed items like videogames we're talking about.

I agree with your history comments in the sense of it being nice to keep a record of these things - but having a sealed game sitting on display is pointless imo. You're not seeing the full article in all it's intended glory. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I guess people get their kicks from all kinds of things, I normally invoke the mustard forum on boards to convey the point about this time :D

Personally, a complete set of sealed games belongs in Sega HQ or something for public ogling...but would it appeal to me to own it? No, not really. Its so easy to make a big deal out of things that arn't really a big deal, but as I said, kicks are far & wide.

Master of the Universe

You're moving slightly away from the point though: what is the point of sealed games. The plough was used in the first place, the ancient Eqyptian pottery was used in the first place. Neither compare to sealed items like videogames we're talking about.

I agree with your history comments in the sense of it being nice to keep a record of these things - but having a sealed game sitting on display is pointless imo. You're not seeing the full article in all it's intended glory. :)

Not all things in museums have been used. Lets go back to my stamp comparison. If you were in a stamp museum and there was a mint Penny Black on display, it would have never been used. And it would be in that position and celebrated because it had never been used.

I'm not saying all games in future museums would need to be sealed. It is possible to have a sealed game on display beside an open one you know ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,845 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

First thing I do when I get a game is rip the plastic wrapping off, open it up, enjoy the new game smell, rifle through the manual and then put it away to be played later, possibly never.

I buy my games to play them that's what they are there for and even if I'll probably never get through my entire collection every game I have is one that I want to play at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

As O1s1n said, sealed game collecting reminds me of stamp collecting! I have a few that will be left unopened tbh, but I would only do this if I could pick up a version to be played as well. People just like completeness I guess.

I also think it can be a way of investing. Gamble on what will be low print, high critical acclaim and snap up a few copies, moolah down the road. I mean how cool would it be when your bank manager asks what's in your portfolio and you can answer "Oh not much, just a sealed Castlevania Symphony of the Night, a sealed Radiant Silvergun and a few more positively performing assets!" Compare eBay prices and hey, you've got a RoI analysis!

As bad as it is, I think full set collecting can be more mind boggling at times. The shovelware people pick up just to say they've a full set...

All the "good" games will be stolen from museums all be left is copies of fifa soccer+golden eye..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,845 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

LMA Manager is the one I fear the most.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    LMA Manager is the one I fear the most.

If there was a weird catastrophic technological apocalypse which only left football management sim games available...would you play them?

will the prices on retro games keep on going up? Or will we reach a point where no one really cares about all this old junk, like say in fifty years.
    Also how long would a console last if it is looked after?

Chips+caps wear out eventually like you.

Not all things in museums have been used. Lets go back to my stamp comparison. If you were in a stamp museum and there was a mint Penny Black on display, it would have never been used. And it would be in that position and celebrated because it had never been used.

I'm not saying all games in future museums would need to be sealed. It is possible to have a sealed game on display beside an open one you know ;)

Yes I do know. So explain to me the value you see of the sealed version - why is it nice to have a sealed copy? I must be missing the point. I just see it as pointless, other than as a possible means to sell on to those who value the pointless. Maybe they'll be our own pension reserve fund when we get to that age. :pac:

Chips+caps wear out eventually like you.

Well thats crap. I want to be able to play street fighter turbo in 30 years from now. On my snes

Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    will the prices on retro games keep on going up? Or will we reach a point where no one really cares about all this old junk, like say in fifty years.

People will ALWAYS care about old junk. Videogames have progressed to being quite a significant thing in modern culture. I can only see them becoming more and more significant as time goes on.
    Also how long would a console last if it is looked after?

Depends on the console and what version of the console really. Atari 2600s still work today. 360s bought a couple of years are broken.

Capacitors are a big killer in a lot of them. But they're replacable. I guess we're kind of screwed when on board chips start to fail. But I guess that won't be for a long time yet.

Master of the Universe

Yes I do know. So explain to me the value you see of the sealed version - why is it nice to have a sealed copy? I must be missing the point. I just see it as pointless, other than as a possible means to sell on to those who value the pointless. Maybe they'll be our own pension reserve fund when we get to that age. :pac:

I personally don't see any value in a sealed game beyond it's archival and it's monitary value. I don't intend to add any sealed games to my collection.

So yeah, the only real value outside of money I see is archiving.

If there was a weird catastrophic technological apocalypse which only left football management sim games available...would you play them?

No thanks, I already have microsoft excel on my laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Maybe someday it'll be a viable profession to be a classic games console mechanic!

Master of the Universe

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Maybe someday it'll be a viable profession to be a classic games console mechanic!

We already have one, he's called Enternow :D

We already have one, he's called Enternow :D

Thought he was retired, which means there's an opening in the market.

Well thats crap. I want to be able to play street fighter turbo in 30 years from now. On my snes

Cloned consoles are hilarious,look at this one-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I only got interested in this forum in time to see his retirement!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,729 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You could always buy the games sealed and then play backups with fewer moral qualms...

But yeah seems pointless to me too. I guess if you have the money, why not. But I buy games to play. If I accidentally don't play it it's merely because there's too many of the damn things. Will get around to you someday FF Tactics PSP.

• Advertisement

you have to have them must have games other wise you cant do ;) or :D.

Master of the Universe

you have to have them must have games other wise you cant do ;) or :D.

Exactly. I wear them like medals on my chest.

Master of the Universe

Plus it also allows you to do this -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Thought he was retired, which means there's an opening in the market.

Folks have been known to come outta retirement from time to time, so you never know :D Ah I'll be back at some stage I'm sure, but if anyone is stuck there's plenty of lads in the console modding forum who can deal with modding (Docentore for one).
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    I only got interested in this forum in time to see his retirement!

They threw me a retirement party with solder confetti an all, it was some bash :D

EnterNow wrote: »
    (Docentore for one).

Can certainly vouch for this. The Doc is a good fella. He's become my 'go-to' electronic enhancment surgeon recently.

He'll be my family electronics enhancement surgeon of choice for generations! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Ah, I know what you mean. Everyone who spends time collecting thinks about it at one time or another...what's the point of even collecting as you're going to eventually die anyway? Your collection will probably be split up. That's why I try to play my stuff as much as possible..and everything gets modded if it can be.

Ideally I'd love to pass it along to a child who loves it as much as I do... but then again, by that point it'll probably be a heap of worthless junk that doesn't work anymore :D

See this is where me being infinitely younger is a massive advantage. By the laws of scienticians and dinosaurs I will live for years more than all of you because I was born in the 90's. True fax. Thus, you will all leave me your consoles and games in your wills and I will bask in my new found loot and be the king of retro, causing me to become immortal. I will spend the rest of eterninty playing retro games and have women on tap because of my status. It's just the way the world works I'm afraid!

See this is where me being infinitely younger is a massive advantage. By the laws of scienticians and dinosaurs I will live for years more than all of you because I was born in the 90's. True fax. Thus, you will all leave me your consoles and games in your wills and I will bask in my new found loot and be the king of retro, causing me to become immortal. I will spend the rest of eterninty playing retro games and have women on tap because of my status. It's just the way the world works I'm afraid!

With the way you swill booze you'll be outliving none of us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Booze is like an elixir!

Atavan halen is like jesus christ. His blood is legally wine due to the high alcohol proof of it.

I'm not sure that drinking so much alcohol that you pickle and preserve yourself will work. :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My son loves GB, and whenever he spends an hour playing his DS he is always to be found mixing up his time spent on Pokemon White with some time on the emus, especially the Genesis and GB emulators.
    Proud of my boy I am!
    At least I know who is going to get my stuff when I snuff it!

No interest in being a completist though, but if a particular series means something to me I will certainly try to get them all, like Need for Speed, Wipeout, Ridge Racer etc.
    In particular I seem to buy Tempest and Puzzle Bobble on every format I own that supports it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Plus it also allows you to do this -

That was funny and bizarre until he pulled down his trousers and mooned. Now I'm scarred. :/

I want track down some of those resealable bags you can put jewel cases in. Any ideas?

Advertisement