Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

At last...

Options
  • 21-06-2011 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

Today marks a bit of a retro milestone for me. Since my SNES days back in the early 90's, I would read the pacges of Super Play and assorted magazines with heavy Japanese-focused gaming, anime and general otaku-friendly coverage and always, although very happy with my SNES, find myself wishing I had a PC Engine.

I finally bought one a couple of days ago and it arrived today. A CoreGrafx console with 3 joypads, a multitap, stepdown transformer and 19 games landed on my desk this afternoon.

I felt I had to share this one with you lot, it means quite a lot to me to finally have one.

Keen to hear from other PC Engine fans and/or owners for any advice, tips and memories of this great console.

Cheers. :)

rM3jM.jpgCLirX.jpg

o87oI.jpg

IugGU.jpg

QoXHd.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I no next to nothing about the PC Engine. What media do the games come on? They don't look like discs and seem oddly shaped for carts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They're HuCards. Basically the Rom chips are embedded in the plastic and they are slightly smaller than the size of a credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Indeed SF2:CE was one of the pinnacles of PCE gaming. Lovely stuff. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭honkytonk52

happy days... you got a good bit of stuff with it...sweet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Congrats, they are a cracking machine, I have the US one, very good indeed.

One thing though, you seem to have a mix of media and regions there, is there a convertor there? I cannot play jap games on the us machine and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Yeah there was afaik,console goods have one in stock,at that price,its best to have a gawk on ebay - http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/pce/pce.htm

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    One thing though, you seem to have a mix of media and regions there, is there a convertor there?

Nope, no convertor sadly. If memory serves correctly, Turbo Grafx CD's will play in a Duo/R/RX but not in an NTSC-J Super CD or Super CD 2 and vice versa.

Super Grafx cards, like the one I have, will only work in a Super Grafx, Duo, Duo-R or Duo-RX machine. End of.

Hu Cards will work on a Turbo Grafx with a convertor but Turbo Grafx Turbo Chips will not work on any PC Engine console (as far as I am aware).

All highly confusing. :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Love the PC Engines myself and will hopefully pick one up soon!

Very very nice purchase dude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

I've heard that despite not having the hyper fighting edition the PC engine's version of Champion edition is more faithful to the arcade than the SNES and Megadrive versions. I noticed even the PC Engine still doesn't have the retreating stance animations. That and no moon on Ryu's stage really annoyed me as a kid when I had it for the SNES.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

in case you felt like spending more money on PCengine HUs

Theres a good few for sale on ArcadeOtaku

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=16584

I registered but can't view that link... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I have about 10 HuCards that I'll be sticking up on adverts or up here to trade in about a week or so. Clearing out loads of my doubles at the moment.

You might be interested in a few of them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I'll keep an eye out too, Pyongyang has me thinking about getting a few more games myself.

I'll might have a SUPER GRAFX up for sale as well at some stage. I have 2 and I've been meaning to dump one of them but its hard to say goodbye :o

Nice! Keep us posted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I registered but can't view that link... :confused:

You need to have made a post over on the Arcade Otaku forums before you can view the trading area. It's worth it, great place to get stuff.
    Steve SI wrote: »
    I'll might have a SUPER GRAFX up for sale as well at some stage. I have 2 and I've been meaning to dump one of them but its hard to say goodbye :o

Hah, the man with two of everything. Is that so you can view your consoles and games stereoscopically? ;)

Might be interested in that myself.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Hah, the man with two of everything. Is that so you can view your consoles and games stereoscopically? ;)

Might be interested in that myself.

I'm not to bad lately. Just bought the one Candy Cab, but then got 3 NES's :D

Just don't ask how many 3DO's I have and we'll be ok :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I'm planning on picking up a CoreGrafx when in Tokyo next week, since they're small and relatively easy to transport. (Will be sticking with HuCard media because I'm a cartridge whore) Would be interested to hear what (moderately-priced) HuCard games are essentials.

ghostchant wrote: »
    I'm planning on picking up a CoreGrafx when in Tokyo next week, since they're small and relatively easy to transport. (Will be sticking with HuCard media because I'm a cartridge whore) Would be interested to hear what (moderately-priced) HuCard games are essentials.

Darius Alpha is one (or two) to have :)

Goes for between 300 and 1000 euro, but think of it as an investment.

• Advertisement

<gentlemensagreement>If your selling any Hu Card or CD SHMUP's I call first dibs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</gentlemensagreement>

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pyongyang wrote: »
    <gentlemensagreement>If your selling any Hu Card or CD SHMUP's I call first dibs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</gentlemensagreement>

If only such a thing existed. :pac:

Advertisement