Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEC 9801 anyone?

Options
  • 18-06-2011 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about this computer? Is it a rarity? What about games for it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Dont think its common in europe,old computers.net/hardcore gamer would have info,of course the ultimate fap fest is sharp x68000

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,878 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I managed to get an emulator running for the PC-9801. It was a whore to get up and running and to find the bios files and games to get it running. There's some cracking games on the machine though. The thing about these japanese home computers is that they had to display kanji which means they are in gorgeous hi def resolutions compared to the 320x240 or below that was common on other machines. Yozo Koshiro, the composer of Actraiser and Streets of Rage still uses the machine to create music for the games he scores.

As for buying one they aren't rare but the thing is you won't find one outside japan and getting it set up is a bitch. PM me if you want 'help' with any japanese home computer emulation such as the Sharp X1, PC-9801 and X68000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

@Retr0gamer

Cheers for the info there, might well take you up on the offer. :)

I actually won a 9801 game auction in stupidly good nick and CIB with reg cards, sleeves etc. It looks a little bit hentai though after I looked it up. :o

Just wondered if they are worth much CIB or even if I could get the thing to work somehow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,878 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It all depends on the game. A lot of the games for the machine are hentai games although some of the hentai games are good games in their own right such as night slave.

Cool, I picked up a game called Phobos which I won on eBay for 99p, CIB with free shipping from Japan. :D

• Advertisement

Speaking of jap games,snatcher is astounding for an 1988 release.

Speaking of jap games,snatcher is astounding for an 1988 release.

Was that the Mega CD game? I always remember it for yer man with no head.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Was that the Mega CD game? I always remember it for yer man with no head.
    twas with english translation,appeared on the msx too.

The PC-9801 was a pretty powerful machine for it's time. Some amazing looking games on it.

Question is, where the heck can you buy one? Japan import only? Imagine the weight of the thing, cripes! :eek:

• Advertisement

ebay.ie says you're shafted.

Other than that you'll have to use the strange world of yahoo auctions japan.

Yeah I can't even find any more 9801 games on eBay! Don't think I want to even contemplate what shipping a 9801 from Japan would cost.

Ah well, it'll make a nice dust collector on my shelf. Can't moan at 99p inc free delivery.

The peopleon yahoo auctions japan usually aren't happy about shipping outside japan either, you'd have had to use a mailing on service which would be more money.

Looking more like a dust magnet by the minute! If I find one in Japan I'll look in to it, but I've far more important 'stuff' to squeeze in to the fleet of suitcases I'll be taking with me (assuming we're still going, the good woman is allergic to polonium).

Advertisement