Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advance Rent Lost

Options
  • 19-11-2010 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I have paid six months in advance on my rent. There was a security deposit also. Now due to unforseen personal circumstances, I have to move out. I do not get my advance payments back. (I had to pay up in advance before moving in.) Can they really do this? My understanding was that I would lose my security deposit in this case.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I have paid six months in advance on my rent.
    Why on earth would you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

If you're breaking a fixed term lease you're liable to pay the remaining rent or find someone to take over your lease.

Have you tried to find a replacement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ShannonMarie

Because I had to Ciaran. I do not want to give too much info on who these people are, but this is common for must student accommodation to pay up front. But the last one I was in would return rent if something like this ever happened. Thank God, I didn't have any crisis back then. This time it is different, they keep all rent paid to them.. There is the option to pay by semester, but if you pay the entire thing up front, you don't get it back if something happens to you. I am a mature student btw. I am a bit shocked to be honest that this is the case.

I will have to get a copy of the contract and read all the small print now. :(
    If you're breaking a fixed term lease you're liable to pay the remaining rent or find someone to take over your lease.

Have you tried to find a replacement?
    Oh, I am pretty sure they will find one once I move out.

Why didn't you pay by semester?

If this accommodation is connected to a college then I'd go straight to your students union or anyone in the accommodation office in college and see what they say about it.

If you find a replacement you should get your remaining rent back.

No, you're absolutely right. I didn't think about the future or potential problems, only about getting the money out of the way so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

It is a fixed term lease just like you said so there is probably nothing I can do. But I'll have a chat with the college and see what they say. Worth a shot I guess. :)

• Advertisement

Absolutely worth a shot :) Don't give up easily! Best of luck, hope you get something back

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If the accommodation is attached to a college, there is likely to be a contract between the college and the accommodation provider as to what they can and can't do.

It might be possible to go to the National Consumer Agency on the grounds that it is an unfair term in the contract.

I suspect you aren't a tenant, but a licencee, likely someone in a hotel-type situation.

Thanks Cathmandoo, you've been very helpful :)
    Victor wrote: »
    If the accommodation is attached to a college, there is likely to be a contract between the college and the accommodation provider as to what they can and can't do.

It might be possible to go to the National Consumer Agency on the grounds that it is an unfair term in the contract.

I suspect you aren't a tenant, but a licencee, likely someone in a hotel-type situation.

Yes Liscencee or actually maybe it's Leasee. I'm not sure what they really mean to be quite honest. Seeing what the college has to say on Monday might be the best thing I can do to begin with and see from there.

Advertisement