Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying to let

Options
  • 16-02-2004 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking lately of buying to let. I'm currently living in Naas and was thinking of investing there, simply for the management side of things until I started realising the cost of the avg 3bed semi was about 265k. I don't fancy having a 2nd mortgage that high, so I'm starting to look further afield to towns like Carlow & Navan. Avg 3 bed semis there about 180-190k. I know people will say that you will get more rent the more expensive the area, but if/when mortgage rates go up I would rather it happen on a smaller mortgage than bigger one.

Anybody have any sugestions/recommendations for me as its new territory to me for buying to let....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A couple I know just bought in Dún Brinn in Athy. Prices are about €185,000 for a four bed. Not sure how much of a rental market there is though.

Be aware you might only be able to get a 10 year mortgage if it is a second property.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

when you mean 2nd property, do you mean 2nd buy-to let ? I have approval for initially to start at 30yrs, but I plan to chip away at that as soon as my own mortgage is paid off in 7 years.

I'm guessing the renatl market in large towns like Carlow & Navan would be nearly as good as Naas. (I hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
    I'm guessing the renatl market in large towns like Carlow & Navan would be nearly as good as Naas. (I hope)

guessing and hoping with €185k. investigate first.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Carlow rental is pretty good, but I reckon supply will outdo demand, they have started the firsdt row of 800 houses to be built on the hacketstown road.

Tullow which is 9 miles from carlow also has a large number of houses for sale, 3 bedroomed timber frames from 136,000.

I can reccommend a few Auctioneers in the area if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
    when you mean 2nd property, do you mean 2nd buy-to let ? I have approval for initially to start at 30yrs,
    In your case, your home is your first mortgage, anything else is a second property, although if they are happy to give you 30 years, then fine. Just make sure it isn't secured on your own home also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement