Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual luas fine Q

Options
  • 09-05-2016 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi there

I gave an old leap card to my brother a while ago as I drive now and it had a few bob left on it. It was registered to me at my address.
    He has confessed to getting caught not tagging on and getting a fine. He gave his name (as he had to show ID) and a bogus address. He has no intention of paying the fine...anyway it won't arrive at his address.
    They took the number on the luas card however which presumably will come back to me.
    I'm livid with him but will I get the fine or will he? Can they fine me for someone else (not) using my card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

Hi there

I gave an old leap card to my brother a while ago as I drive now and it had a few bob left on it. It was registered to me at my address.
    He has confessed to getting caught not tagging on and getting a fine. He gave his name (as he had to show ID) and a bogus address. He has no intention of paying the fine...anyway it won't arrive at his address.
    They took the number on the luas card however which presumably will come back to me.
    I'm livid with him but will I get the fine or will he? Can they fine me for someone else (not) using my card?

Of course you can't be fined. You weren't on the luas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

so he's screwing the Luas by not paying a legitimate fine and potentially screwing you, who out of kindness gave him the card.

I'd say there's a chance they will try to fine you, on the premise that it was you using the card and not tagging on. We know it wasn't but they don't. Same surname too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mmooney1983

so he's screwing the Luas by not paying a legitimate fine and potentially screwing you, who out of kindness gave him the card.

I'd say there's a chance they will try to fine you, on the premise that it was you using the card and not tagging on. We know it wasn't but they don't. Same surname too.

Well I'm a girl and he's not...different surnames

I concede that could be a good form of defence. :-)

Deny everything in that case , or if you don't want to lie, say nothing, just return any correspondence "not at this address".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Deny everything in that case , or if you don't want to lie, say nothing, just return any correspondence "not at this address".

Will the letter not be addressed to the OP?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

psinno wrote: »
    Will the letter not be addressed to the OP?

Do Luas have access to that? It's registered on leap card's website. Not Luas'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mmooney1983

Yeah it's a bit confusing

The letter will be addressed to Mr X (my brother) at "bogus address"
    I am Mrs. Y, living at another address both of which are linked to my Leap card number. The fine was issued to a guy and there would be no doubt about that with our names. So I presume they couldn't fine me in default?!
    Maybe I should report it missing. Argh! I'm panicking! I could kill lil bro!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i can't see how the details on the leap card would have any relevance here; *it wasn't used*.

if he'd been carrying five leap cards, would they be fining five different people? he commited the fare evasion, not the leap card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Buffman

It was registered to me at my address.
    I am Mrs. Y, living at another address both of which are linked to my Leap card number.

I assume your Leap card is the ordinary non-personalised one. If so log in and change your address. No need to give them your address in the first place IMO.

According to my Leap account I live at 742 Evergreen Terrace.:D

300px-742_Evergreen_Terrace.png

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L bottles or bigger to avoid the DRS fee.

i can't see how the details on the leap card would have any relevance here; *it wasn't used*.

if he'd been carrying five leap cards, would they be fining five different people? he commited the fare evasion, not the leap card.

yes you are quite right. The Leap card doesn't enter into it, they'll be sending him a fine for fare evasion. He didn't try to use the Leap card so it isn't relevant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement