Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade buttons

Options
  • 08-10-2013 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey guys

Hoping someone can help, recently bought 2 arcade cabs 1 is a 2 player silverline which I bought a 302-1 jamma board for it works fine but each player only has 4 buttons each so bought new buttons an joystick pack to play the likes of street fighter an king of fighters etc. problem is I've lost power in 2 buttons on the 2 player side, to be honest I don't have a clue about electronics or arcade stuff although I managed to change a joystick, the 1 an 2 player push button which work fine an I was thrilled with, (like I said haven't a clue) anyway if someone can walk me through in detail on how to get 2 of the buttons working or power to, would be very grateful

Note: picture below are the original buttons!

Thanks, Noob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,429 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Buttons 5&6 don't actually go through a Jamma harness, you need a thing called a kick harness.

On a standard jamma game PCB there's a little connector the kick harness goes to.

Not sure what the story is with your multi board though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Arcade beginnings

o1s1n wrote: »
    Buttons 5&6 don't actually go through a Jamma harness, you need a thing called a kick harness.

On a standard jamma game PCB there's a little connector the kick harness goes to.

Not sure what the story is with your multi board though.

Thanks for the info, will look into the kick harness but any idea how I can get power back into 2 of the buttons ?

Master of the Universe

If you just dropped the buttons in as replacements (and wired them up identically to how the previous ones had been wired) then they should work.

Check to make sure the ground wires are correct (they'll be the black ones). I had trouble with my first cab's controls and it turns out the ground wiring just wasn't connected up properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

have you a pic of the underside of the panel?

have you a pic of the underside of the panel?

These are a not great although if you need a better one let me know thanks

• Advertisement

These are a not great although if you need a better one let me know thanks

Better pics of the new buttons an joystick I replaced and the old 1 player ones

o1s1n wrote: »
    If you just dropped the buttons in as replacements (and wired them up identically to how the previous ones had been wired) then they should work.

Check to make sure the ground wires are correct (they'll be the black ones). I had trouble with my first cab's controls and it turns out the ground wiring just wasn't connected up properly.

Have done this and knew that 3 of the 4 buttons were working fine, now it's just the 2 that don't seem to work and the rest are ok, half thinking I have to dig a bit deeper on this one?
    Appreciate the help people thanks again

hard to tell but in that last pic the bottom left button looks shorted out so will be stuck on.
    If you have a DMM(multimeter), the black(ground wire) connection to each button should all be connected together so you should be able to test that using the continuity function on the DMM, the next step would be to trace the other wire from the button to the jamma edge connector and test eh continuity.
    If you don't have a DMM now might be the time to invest as Jamma power supplies often give incorrect 5v which can kill boards instantly so is well worth the investment

Bottom left (if you mean the top button when the panel is upright) works ok just the two under that, that don't seem to work

Sorry I updated my post above, I'd start by making sure there are no shorts whatsoever then follow the instructions above, stuck or shorted button can have strange effects especially on multiboards

• Advertisement

Thanks will take another good look an follow along the wire to the jamma connector and will keep you's updated

Master of the Universe

Did you try different setups by the way?

So if one button isn't working, detach the wires and plug them into another (working) button. You can then isolate if the problem is to do with the buttons or the wiring.

Haven't tried yet although did notice that a kick harness was included with board I got for the fighting games will be working on it again tomorrow afternoon pretty sure it's the wiring as the new buttons were only installed although the microswitches were smaller that the originals and I did have to bend the crimps abit to make them fit onto the new microswitch buttons, hopefully can get new wires an crimps an re-do all the button wiring

Master of the Universe

Well this is the way I look at it :)

The cab/buttons/wiring were fine.

You added something new.

Now four buttons are not working.

So either;
    • There's something wrong with the buttons
    • There's something wrong with how you connected the buttons
    • You damaged something when connecting the buttons

The first and last are highly unlikely, so I would imagine it's the one in the middle :)

4th button never worked before I opened it up and there's only 2 of the 10 complete buttons on the cab itself that are not working, which were connected the exact same way as they were still should be a simple fix will have someone tomorrow that knows a lot more about wiring than me.

Master of the Universe

4th button never worked before I opened it up and there's only 2 of the 10 complete buttons on the cab itself that are not working, which were connected the exact same way as they were still should be a simple fix will have someone tomorrow that knows a lot more about wiring than me.

Button 4 only really works for Neo Geo boards through Jamma. Everything else (like capcom fighters) pulls button 4 through the kick harness.

So unless you were using a Neo Geo MVS board with MVS carts it wouldn't have worked.

Quick update all buttons working now something to do with the harness/connector in the cab, just need new crimps(spades) an a tidy up other than that should be good to go!! 😬

Master of the Universe

Quick update all buttons working now something to do with the harness/connector in the cab, just need new crimps(spades) an a tidy up other than that should be good to go!! 😬

Excellent! Well done :)

Advertisement