Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caring for cabs in the winter months

Options
  • 25-09-2013 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

So we're approaching that awful time of the year where we all freeze our arses off and I was wondering if any of you provision for preserving your cabs?

Tends to only really be an issue for those with their machines in garages where cold leads to damp, but my house is quite old and unfortunately gets pretty damn cold.

I won't be putting plastic sheets or anything over cabs (it's not that cold!) but was thinking of maybe throwing a load of sachets of silica gel into each cab to keep the damp out (might not be a bad idea anyway)

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    So we're approaching that awful time of the year where we all freeze our arses off and I was wondering if any of you provision for preserving your cabs?

Tends to only really be an issue for those with their machines in garages where cold leads to damp, but my house is quite old and unfortunately gets pretty damn cold.

I won't be putting plastic sheets or anything over cabs (it's not that cold!) but was thinking of maybe throwing a load of sachets of silica gel into each cab to keep the damp out (might not be a bad idea anyway)

Any other ideas?

Amazon has lots of things that might help.

1lb bag of silica
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silica-Desiccant-Dry-Packs-Prevent-Corrosion/dp/B004N6JQFW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380112207&sr=8-1&keywords=silica+gel+large

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kontrol-Streamline-Moisture-Trap-500g/dp/B0017RPIKM/ref=pd_bxgy_lp_img_y

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Indicating-Silica-Aluminum-Canister-Dry-Packs/dp/B0025OO8DO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_6

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Or, you know, you could just hug your candies when they are cold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Thanks for the link man! Will definitely pick some up.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to keep some silica in cabs anyway to try and minimize damp. Might throw a little bag into my PCB boxes too.
    Steve SI wrote: »

You mean you don't hug them all year long anyway? Neglectful parenting that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Not sure that silica stuff is any good unless you seal up the cab some bit otherwise you're trying to absorb moisture from the world :)

Bag of rice works just as well with the added bonus of attracting a few new pet rodents.

Steve SI wrote: »

I just hug them all the time.
    mine are inside but my gaff is also an icebox.
    theres a radiater right behind mine so'll pull them out a bit once I start using the heating again,
    thats if I can afford oil this year :D:D

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Not sure that silica stuff is any good unless you seal up the cab some bit otherwise you're trying to absorb moisture from the world :)

Ah crap, that's a good point! I was thinking they were sealed fairly solid, but then remembered those little tiny vents. The pony has one on the side and I'm fairly sure the Candy has one on the back.

Dehumidifier might be another option. Should probably be leaving one running in the room anyway.

Damp aside, cold is another issue isn't it? Doesn't cold cause more stress on electronic components when they're firing up?

Or would we need to be talking about serious next to freezing type cold?

Just to stress how cold my house gets, if the heating is off you can see your breath in the depths of winter!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Thankfully mine is beside the fireplace so no problems with damp or cold. Only just started lighting the stove too so room is nice and toasty these evenings - might start back playing it actually. I've only switched it on once or twice in the last few months. :(

Master of the Universe

Nothing to get you out of a 'never switch on your cab rut' than putting a new game in and changing the marquee :) What you got in there at the moment?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Nothing to get you out of a 'never switch on your cab rut' than putting a new game in and changing the marquee :) What you got in there at the moment?

Popped Strikers 1945 in it a week or so ago. Cool game. You?

Master of the Universe

Raiden II at the moment. Needs a change out though! It's starting to annoy me the way I can't save scores. Maybe I need to stick a blackboard up beside the machine. :)

I keep meaning to pick up Strikers 1945, always see it going for very good prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I always think of my poor cabs in the winter months, enduring the cold & damp in the outdoor shed. It's dry-lined & carpeted etc, but you may as well be standing outside when you're in it.

Master of the Universe

Yeah, if I were you I wouldn't go near them at all. Damp/cold room - turn machines on - condensation - :eek:

I wonder how much it would cost to run a dehumidifier 24/7 during the colder months? Or is that me going overboard? :D

How you getting on with Ibara?

Master of the Universe

Took it out about a month ago as I was just playing it too much :D, it was seriously addictive. I'd nearly have a dedicated Ibara machine if I had the space.

The reset time between losing a life and starting a new game is so short, I just kept playing it over and over and over...

Had that 60 in 1 classics multiboard in for a while after that, then went back to Raiden II.

But need to put something new in now. It's a toss up between Castle of Shikigami and Game Tengoku. Two games I haven't played nearly enough.

Only issue with Game Tenkgoku is the PCB is so bloody huge I'm scared of damaging it whenever it goes into the cab.

Kind of funny that the only Jaleco PCB I have is one of the ones which won't fit in the Jaleco Cab :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Bag of rice works just as well with the added bonus of attracting a few new pet rodents.

I heard a small bowl of baking soda myself (and it's handy for absorbing damp/musty-cab-smell as well, if you saw what my one was like when I got it you know what I'm talking about!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

As mentioned above, unless cabs are sealed, there's really no point in moisture evaporation methods {silica, rice, baking soda). You'll just absorb moisture from everywhere with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭ondafly

can you not turn on the heat ? if you're place you're renting is as bad as you say for cold, I'd be straight onto the Landlord or the PRTB, so many Landlords are getting way with unfit for purpose rentals.

as for dehumidifiers - approx €7.50 per month to run, obviously depending on wattage and size of the machine.

Master of the Universe

ondafly wrote: »
    can you not turn on the heat ? if you're place you're renting is as bad as you say for cold, I'd be straight onto the Landlord or the PRTB, so many Landlords are getting way with unfit for purpose rentals.

as for dehumidifiers - approx €7.50 per month to run, obviously depending on wattage and size of the machine.

Not a normal renting scenario unfortunately :( family owned house we're minding while saving up for our own place. Just have to grin and bear it for the moment.

But yeah, it's one of those houses that seems like it was designed to be cold. Big, double sitting room with high ceilings, radiators under draughty windows and absolutely zero insulation. Not to mention we're living pretty much beside the sea.

How folks lived in it before central heating I'll never know!

€7.50 per month is a lot lower than I was thinking it would be. Cabs aside, it's probably worth doing anyway to keep your house damp free.

If you get a decent dehumidifier you can either programme it to come on at different times or set a moisture level you want to maintain. It should massively cut the running times and costs rather than leaving it running constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭ondafly

Not a normal renting scenario unfortunately :( family owned house we're minding while saving up for our own place. Just have to grin and bear it for the moment.

But yeah, it's one of those houses that seems like it was designed to be cold. Big, double sitting room with high ceilings, radiators under draughty windows and absolutely zero insulation. Not to mention we're living pretty much beside the sea.

How folks lived in it before central heating I'll never know!

€7.50 per month is a lot lower than I was thinking it would be. Cabs aside, it's probably worth doing anyway to keep your house damp free.

Grab some insulating tape from B&Q and tape that around the window frames all temporary and will save you on your heating bill.That will cut down the draughts. Heat the place as per normal but open windows when you can. As for the dehumidifier they are great but some people can have issues with them on in the same room as them, similar to air con you might get sore throats etc.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

ondafly wrote: »
    Grab some insulating tape from B&Q and tape that around the window frames all temporary and will save you on your heating bill.That will cut down the draughts. Heat the place as per normal but open windows when you can. As for the dehumidifier they are great but some people can have issues with them on in the same room as them, similar to air con you might get sore throats etc.

Simple yet such a great idea, thanks for that. Will try it out this weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I have my blast city in the living room 6ft away from me now and I have a stove burning here for the evenings most nights of the winter months so I should be ok.

Taking care of cabs in damp is an issue to be aware of though...I have a blown chassis that just proves that.....is also proves dont be a silly billy like Jack Burton

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

Cold and humidity is bad for monitors so better not start them up when it's (close to) freezing when they are in a shed or so .
    No probs for me as they are in the addict and I tend to play more in the winter months .

Still have the PGM mobo in the Aero and circulate between the DDP Doj , DDP2 , Galuda and Ketsui carts, the cute still houses one of those game boxes 750 in 1 and for horizontal games like Final Fight, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Ghouls and Ghosts, Gunforce 2 etc it's pretty damn good for that €80,- shipped from Legend HK , all verticals are crap and stretched but that still leaves about 500 games playable or so .

Advertisement