Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there really a shortage of houses in Dublin?

Options
  • 16-11-2010 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

The main contractor has been appointed for the works involved with the construction of the St Michaels Estate housing development, Phase 1a, Inchicore, Dublin.

The works will comprise:- The construction of 75 dwelling units, comprising 10 houses as a series of terraced two storey houses and 65 apartments in blocks ranging from three to six storeys high, with a creche facility of 320 sq.m and a community facility of 150 sq.m and a surface park with landscaped area to include a playspace and an underground carpark for 49 cars.

Main construction work commenced on site during mid-November, 2010 and the contract period is estimated at 24 months. The value of the scheme is in the region of €12 million.

Employer is Dublin City Council.

Surely there are empties somewhere that can do this job? Or are there any empties?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

Possibly like the farce in Dun Laoghaire Golf Club where the council has spentsquandered 42 million on 100+ apartments at boom prices and therefore the developer is only too glad to complete the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Whatever about the houses I don't see why they would build the apartments. Houses are not as much oversupplied in Dublin I feel from looking around areas I'm interested in anyway. I filter apartments out of my searches however there is no shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'd agree and think anyone building aparments at the moment reeks of contractual obligation.
    JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Whatever about the houses I don't see why they would build the apartments. Houses are not as much oversupplied in Dublin I feel from looking around areas I'm interested in anyway. I filter apartments out of my searches however there is no shortage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Think this is urban regeneration similar to whats been done in Ballymun no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes, urban regeneration.

You can move the community to empties around the city but maybe they don't want to be split up or be moved

There is lots of open ground in the area so I suppose there is room for houses.
    They are getting a park instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

mrgaa1 wrote: »

Employer is Dublin City Council.

Surely there are empties somewhere that can do this job? Or are there any empties?
    to be fair, there are only about 5 thousand properties available at the minute in Dublin
    http://daftwatch.thepropertypin.com/county-breakdown/dublin/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Lvbrs

I wonder now that they have the go ahead for the regeneration will they put a stop to:

Cars being burnt out?

Gangs hanging around Inchicore Village?

Drug dealing?

I presume all of the residents will have practically free rent, free travel, free buggies for the endless amount of kids that will be there, free medical cards etc etc all paid for by me the taxpayer, while I also pay a huge mortgage for a small dwelling nearby?

What contribution will the residents make to the local community instead of taking from it as always?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I find it quite odd that someone would relate this regeneration to the property market. :confused:
    Whats happening is they are knocking down old blocks and replacing them with new ones on the site for the residents that live there. Where 'empties' may come into it is for temporary accommodation while the blocks are being built, not permanent and above all the community does not want to be scattered to the four corners of the city!!

Advertisement