Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snes RPG's

Options
  • 16-01-2002 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Could anyone point me towards any SNES rpg's that arent Chrono Trigger or a Final Fantasy.
    Or any snes titles i might be missing.

thx.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MetroDuck

Some of my favs are: Breath Of Fire 2, Terranigma, Ogre Battle, Secret Of Mana, ermm... Secret Of Mana 2(Seiken Densetsu 3), Der Langrisser, Lufia, ...and umm Super Mario RPG!

Breath Of Fire 2 is highly recommended! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

<Kyro> You can't download ROMs unless you own the original copy </Kyro>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 domkid

Who mentioned roms i just thought an emulator board would be a good place to find out about Super nintendo games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

No one mentioned anything about downloading roms Mixie. Snes games are considered abandonware, so I wouldn't worry too much about it either.

Tales of Phantasia is a fantastic rpg that'll last you for months. And who could forget good ol' loveble Zelda :)

Anyone got around to trying Star Ocean?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by domkid
    Could anyone point me towards any SNES rpg's that arent Chrono Trigger or a Final Fantasy.
    Or any snes titles i might be missing.

thx.

A rather excellent title (and one that would make me buy a SNES right now for its purpose alone) is the rather over-looked "Shadow Run" based on the RPG from FASA based on the same name.

This game will take you a rather long time to finish. It is impossible to sit through this for 24 hours and even be NEAR scratching the surface.

I borrowed a mates SNES years ago with this game, and spent about 2/3 weeks SOLID during one summer holiday playing it.

• Advertisement

No, you're right, you didn't say roms - but you did post on the emulators board rather than the games board. Sorry for jumping to conclusions, but you have to see where I'm coming from on it.

Kyro: "Snes games are considered abandonware" - not true, fire off a quick game to Nintendo and they'll confirm it. nintendo@noa.nintendo.com

[EDIT]
    Kyro, regarding ROMs becoming abandonware, try Shinji's post on the thread entitled "Irish Law?".
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38735
    [/EDIT]

Don't incriminate me too much, Mixie... the eyes are everywhere and they are looking for victims...

With regard to Star Ocean, I'm gonna wait for a full translation before...trying it *ahem*.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I know this has nothing to do with roms or emulators so dont attack me, but is there anywhere you can still actually buy snes games? in Dublin that is

Makaveli, I've found it rather hard of late to find them for sale new in shops, your best bet is second hand. Theres 2/3 shops on Talbot St. (opposite Connolly Train Station) in Dublin that sell them. One is a console shop at the bottom of the street, but your best bet is probably about halfway up the street, a little bookshop, and you can see some games in the window. For many snes games this bookshop is cheaper that that console shop, and I've bought stuff there before, always working np.

You could also try , I think its, "Films Films Films", or at least thats on the sign over the door of a shop on Malbarough St (SP?) (Last street parallel to O'Connell St. on Connolly Station side). Have never bought there, but they do, or used to do, second hand SNES games too.

Electronics Boutique often have some second hand games in their 2nd hand trays instore, could try them if you're passing down Henry/Dawson St.

I can't remember, but Smyth's Toy Store on Marys St. (beside Maplin's) may carry some.

I'll post some more if I think of any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Are those games available in english? If they are, could you point to a site/sites that have them, so I can back up the copies I already own(I downloades tales of phantasia twice, neither were english).

• Advertisement

www.dejap.com for all your snes translation needs!

But the site is down at the moment i believe...

http://www.dejap.com/top.htm

...but the Tales Of Phantasia page is working perfectly.

Originally posted by Mixie
    No, you're right, you didn't say roms - but you did post on the emulators board rather than the games board.

The Emulation Board covers retro-gaming in general.

Kyro: "Snes games are considered abandonware" - not true, fire off a quick game to Nintendo and they'll confirm it.
    It's true that nintendo consider the whole emulation thing very seriously, but they aren't really making money from snes games anymore are they?

[EDIT]
    Kyro, regarding ROMs becoming abandonware, try Shinji's post on the thread entitled "Irish Law?".
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38735
    [/EDIT]

I can't understand why game carts wouldn't be considered perishable, and if the backup rule doesnt apply to roms..why are all these backup devices available legally?

Anyway, you're gone way off topic here Mix. The thing is, I don't really mind if you choose to download roms illegally or not..I just don't want it encouraged on this board with links and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

It's true that nintendo consider the whole emulation thing very seriously, but they aren't really making money from snes games anymore are they?

Not all of them, but I think Square might object to the suggestion that they make no money off FFIV, V, VI and Chrono Trigger, given they're coming out on PSone in Europe over the coming months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Woo, I'll definately be buying Chrono Trigger and FF VI :)

I was simply rationalising my original post, well, that and correcting what I considered to be a serious error in your post, i.e. that snes games are considered abandonware. I wanted to highlight the fact that SNES ROMs aren't legal unless you own the original copy, because "I don't really mind if you choose to download roms illegally or not..I just don't want it encouraged on this board with links and such."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 domkid

Thanks for your contributions, its interesting how almost all the topics on this board dissolve into legal matters , i know it has to be strict being an emulators board yadda yadda but people are still tending to be over-sensitive.

Mix, Anything pre-1995 would be considered abandonware by most people. But 'abandonware' is just a title given to games that dont sell much anymore...and you didn't really need to highlight the fact that snes roms are illegal to download if you don own the original copy. Any game rom you don't own is illegal to download. I think I made that point clear by now.

Anyway, domkid seems satisfied..thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement