Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for recommendations for engineer / surveyor for period property in south east

Options
  • 08-05-2018 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

As a follow on from my previous post https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057867758

Which highlighted the below list to check for on initial inspection.

Rising Damp. Doesn't look like it but engineer / surveyor will verify
    Sagging Roof. Looks very solid and straight to me but but engineer / surveyor will verify
    Ancient wiring. All the wiring is terminated in switch boards and have modern sockets but again will be verified
    Condensation and poor ventilation. No condensation visible even in basement, no vents that I could see but the ceilings must be 10' - 12' in height.
    Crap insulation obviously. I didn't get into the attic so I presume there is only newspaper up there, the walls are dry-lined so it was quite warm in the property even though there was no heat on
    Add on without proper planning. engineer / surveyor will verify
    Subsidence. No Sign of this, all walls looked straight and true to the naked eye, there was some small bowing of the floors on the 1st and second floor but they were not bouncy so seemed very solid just warped. engineer / surveyor will verify
    Dry rot / wet rot. Not that I could see all timers visible seemed solid and dry.
    Asbestos. There is a workshop to the rear which will have to be demolished the roofing in this is like a corrugated black / grey material so this will have to be verified by engineer / surveyor.
    Ancient plumbing. Doesn't look ancient but all bathroom suites will have to be replaced to something modern etc (it was like a trip to the late eighty's early ninety's, there was electric showers but these looked like very old showers.)
    Radon barrier. Unknown
    Woodworm. No Sign in any timbers I could see, no saw dust around edges of flooring (where I could lift carpet)
    Bad repairs / cover-ups of problems. Not that I could see but the rear extension will have to be verified if structurally sound etc (looks like it was built up on timber posts as opposed to steels (main beam was at least 10" square)
    Lead paint. Cant tell at this stage
    Water tightness (Flashing, Guttering etc) Looked in good condition, seems to have been repaired / braced in the recent past
    Window seals. Most of the windows in the property are double glazed units, I don't know how old these are but they were not foggy in the cavity so look in decent order, the frames look like first get aluminium like in my parents house so I think about 90's. A couple of the windows will need to be resealed as their surrounds have just got silicone on instead of cement etc.

The property is a freehold and is not listed also. Just to clarify from previous post also.

So now I am looking for some recommendations for engineer / surveyor to inspect the property. The property is 100 + years old so ideally someone who has experience in older properties. I am Ideally looking for someone who can check the structure, damp (inc rising damp), electrics, pluming, extension on the property etc. Does such a person even exist? I had read on some engineers web pages that they do not cover pluming and electrical surveys.

We went to see the property over the weekend and were quite surprised by its condition. In that it seems that it is in reasonable condition, I would think the electrics will need some work as the entire property was subdivided in to a number of flats / bedsits. There are a numner of meters located in different sections which we would want removed to bring the whole house bar basement under 1 switch board. The property although musty was not damp in feeling or cold in the slightest. We got there before the agent too so I know they didn't have the heat on etc.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. If not post-able in forum (perhaps Mods could confirm) please feel free to DM me a message. Ideally people who have used the recommended services etc.

Many thanks

D

Advertisement