Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router with VPN server

Options
  • 09-11-2018 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

So my TPLINK r600VPN mega hyper piece of crappo has finally given up.

Need a recommendation of a decent router with will terminate a vpn for me.

cheers

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

What kind of VPN ?

There are L2TP, IPSec, PPTP, OpenVPN and many more.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

PPTP and IPSec would be grand.

Snazzy, but complicated:

Mikrotik HEX s ....

or a

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-routing/usg/

Ubiquity Unify router.

/M

Mikrotik it is....Cheers Marlow

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

PPTP is filed in the same category as WEP nowadays :pac:

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    PPTP is filed in the same category as WEP nowadays :pac:

There are actually internet providers, who us it for auth purposes. Think I've come across one like that in Austria.

And yes, it wouldn't be my pick, if i wanted security.

/M

I'm lazy lads....I must set up an IPSEC one.

right back to this. I ended up with a Ubiquity USG, which i am about to **** in the bin. the configuration on them is way to hit and miss and i have not been able to successfully establish a PPTP or L2TP VPN to either despite my efforts and the efforts of the "experts" on the internet, it just refuses point blank to establish a connection.

So back to my original question. Can anyone recommend a a simple solution for me here. I don't need anything complicated, I just want to VPN to look at a DVR from my android phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

Asus routers with the asuswrt work perfectly for me. I run an OpenVPN server and haven't had any issues. They also support PPTP and IPSec

Actually went with a netgear nighthawk. The struggle though :P went to argos..got one...brought it home...turns out someone had returned it previously after a botched firmware upgrade and it was stuck in a booting loop....no replacement in nearest argos...off to another one...finally got one that worked.... the actual setup was a breeze...id say under 10 minutes to get the WAN, my wireless and VPN working.

Anyone wanna buy a Ubiquity USG which doesnt like VPN ? :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement