Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Calais jungle

• 05-08-2016 8:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Numbers have swelled to 7300, according to the last census of the Calais jungle. Lorry drivers are being attacked with chainsaws.

Why is this allowed to continue? The French moved them on and built a new camp last year, but it seems unsuccessful, the britexit has made the migrants more determined to cross to Britain before tighter border controls are introduced.

How can this situtation be allowed to continue? loading them all on crappy boats and cutting them loose in the mid Atlantic at the height of winter storms may be one solution. What else can be done?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/695851/Calais-migrants-Britain-bound-trucker-threatened-refugee-chainsaw-Jungle-camp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,646 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Smondie wrote: »
    Numbers have swelled to 7300, according to the last census of the Calais jungle. Lorry drivers are being attacked with chainsaws.

Why is this allowed to continue? The French moved them on and built a new camp last year, but it seems unsuccessful, the britexit has made the migrants more determined to cross to Britain before tighter border controls are introduced.

How can this situtation be allowed to continue? loading them all on crappy boats and cutting them loose in the mid Atlantic at the height of winter storms may be one solution. What else can be done?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/695851/Calais-migrants-Britain-bound-trucker-threatened-refugee-chainsaw-Jungle-camp

Idiotic statement to make, ignorance must be a terrible affliction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Yeah mass drownings of human beings is great alright, you're so edgy and non-PC. Well done you.

Are you one of those cool dudes who has a good laugh at all the capsizing boats in the Mediterranean as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Dunno why France bothers putting in so much effort to stop them tbh

Also struggling to see why someone from Ireland is so exercised by British border controls?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Drown them all? Really?
    You utter prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sounds like one of those "Soldiers of Odin" type crap you'd see on facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

What about the danger caused to shipping if you just abandon boats and bodies in the busy Atlantic shipping lanes. It could seriously hurt our import/export markets.
    Tsk. You'll need a more carefully thought out solution.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

Numbers have swelled to 7300, according to the last census of the Calais jungle. Lorry drivers are being attacked with chainsaws......

......What else can be done?

Obviously not a concealed weapon then, though I suppose the people who make 'pocket knives' could also make 'pocket chainsaws', handy for cutting down unexpected trees, large bushes, parking metres, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

loading them all on crappy boats and cutting them loose in the mid Atlantic at the height of winter storms may be one solution.
    A final solution if you will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

We haven't had a mass genocide suggestion in a few days, I thought something was wrong with boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Smondie , you there ? Yo Smondie....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

OldGoat wrote: »
    What about the danger caused to shipping if you just abandon boats and bodies in the busy Atlantic shipping lanes. It could seriously hurt our import/export markets.
    Tsk. You'll need a more carefully thought out solution.
    Tournaments, gladiator style? They seem fond of the chainsaws and the stabby, stabby.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/674360/Calais-Jungle-mass-brawl-stabbings-migrant-crisis-France-Europe-UK-Britain

Smondie , you there ? Yo Smondie....
    Hello?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

Maybe if the Irish navy ferry service rescued the illegal migrants back to their place of departure rather than Italy.

Maybe if the Irish navy ferry service rescued the illegal migrants back to their place of departure rather than Italy.

It seems to be daft what they are doing over in the med. I'm embarrassed for them, they should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The idea of the 'Jungle' is odd.

What is it about the UK that makes these thousands of men so desperate to leave France?

And why don't they just apply for a work permit like everyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Tournaments, gladiator style? They seem fond of the chainsaws and the stabby, stabby.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/674360/Calais-Jungle-mass-brawl-stabbings-migrant-crisis-France-Europe-UK-Britain

The idea is bubkes. You might make a few shekels at the turnstiles but as a solution it's not clean or efficient and way too slow. The bread and circuses approach to controlling the masses went out with the Romans.
    Are you just making up these solutions off the cuff or have you actually given it some real thought? We need to see some real innovation here.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

loading them all on crappy boats and cutting them loose in the mid Atlantic at the height of winter storms may be one solution. What else can be done?

It makes me really uncomfortable that people are openly starting to propose this kind of thing as an acceptable solution. It's definitely becoming more prevalent as a viewpoint. A dangerous way of thinking.

What is it about the UK that makes these thousands of men so desperate to leave France?

People traffickers have been working out of Calais since 1999. There's a lot of money to be made. There is also the perception than benefits and housing in UK is easier to come by and work more readily available (Not necessarily true).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

You cannot apply for a work permit if you are an illegal immigrant. They could ask for asylum in France but many do not want to as they believe the UK is a better place with more generous conditions for migrants so they are hoping to make it to the UK rather than France.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8129812.stm
    But the French government has also called upon Britain to tighten its controls, warning that migrants still see the British illegal job market as the promised land.

Many of the migrants in the jungle say that with no identity card system, Britain is a much easier place for an illegal immigrant to find work.

• Advertisement

Maguined wrote: »
    You cannot apply for a work permit if you are an illegal immigrant

so, they are illegally in France?

Why are they not deported?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

maybe because the minute you arest them they will claim asylum, which neither the french nor the people want.

Too many of them. They get violent. The police can't handle the situtation. They can just about contain them.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭LuckyRoche

Also struggling to see why someone from Ireland is so exercised by British border controls?

Guess which country has a common travel area with the UK?

loading them all on crappy boats and cutting them loose in the mid Atlantic at the height of winter storms may be one solution.

http://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2015/09/02/13/syrian-migrant-boy-turkey.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭LuckyRoche

Look up the facts behind that photo. His father was the one driving the ****ing boat!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,574 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Express. For the moron who's fed up of the Daily Mail's far left bias.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

http://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2015/09/02/13/syrian-migrant-boy-turkey.jpg
    So? He's dead. Attacking lorry drivers in Calais won't be any use to him.

You can't emotionally blackmail me with your staged photos .

Wasn't his father driving the thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Let's call a spade a spade, stupid political decisions were subsequently made because of that picture without very little thought of the implications on Europe as a whole tragic as it was.

His father should never have taken the risk to cross with the family out of a safe country.

• Advertisement

maybe because the minute you arest them they will claim asylum, which neither the french nor the people want.

What should it matter what illegal migrants want?
    A burglar may not want to be arrested, but if one breaks the law then that's life!

Essentially you are saying the 'jungle' exists because the French police could not be bothered with doing their job.

That's a sad state of affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

It seems to be daft what they are doing over in the med. I'm embarrassed for them, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Why exactly should they be ashamed of themselves?

They follow a chain of command that leads directly to the minister of defense.

Said minister and government elected by the people of this country in a democratic Election. That is how it works in any free country.

Embarrassed for them? I'm sure they give a flying fcuk what your embarrassed about.

A kid washed up by the tide is a "staged photo"?

You think drowning is a suitable "solution" for these people?

The victim here is you, you think you are being emotionally blackmailed?

That's a very strange and disturbing take on matters.

cajonlardo wrote: »

Why exactly should they be ashamed of themselves?

They follow a chain of command that leads directly to the minister of defense.

Said minister and government elected by the people of this country in a democratic Election. That is how it works in any free country.

Embarrassed for them? I'm sure they give a flying fcuk what your embarrassed about.
    Just following orders. Where have I heard that before? It's well known the navy and the army recruit people who are a bit simple and can't think for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I think it is complicated because they are not claiming asylum in France nor working so there is no direct process for deportation as that normally happens when you work without a permit or your asylum is denied. They can deport them to the first European country they entered but they just come back to Calais and it costs lots to deport them so there is little point.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2680144/Police-rid-Calais-UK-bound-migrants-Officers-admit-losing-battle-clear-hundreds-town.html
    Those taken into police custody had their personal details recorded, and were then offered advice about how to claim asylum in France.

‘The vast majority said they wanted to get to Britain, and in these circumstances there was very little else we can do,’ said a senior officer involved in the clear-out.

‘Most of those apprehended were released and allowed to get on their ways.

‘Many destroy their identify papers so we don’t even know who they are or where they come from.’

Technically, the migrants can be deported to their first European port of arrival, but in practice it is not worth the trouble as they just come back again.

A kid washed up by the tide is a "staged photo"?

You think drowning is a suitable "solution" for these people?

The victim here is you, you think you are being emotionally blackmailed?

That's a very strange and disturbing take on matters.
    What has this dead kid in the med. Got to do with attacking lorry drivers at Calais? Unless he has come back as a ghost?

What would you like, me to breakdown crying and make a sign?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,646 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Just following orders. Where have I heard that before? It's well known the navy and the army recruit people who are a bit simple and can't think for themselves

Aaaaand back under the bridge with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

I think it is complicated because they are not claiming asylum in France nor working so there is no direct process for deportation as that normally happens when you work without a permit or your asylum is denied. They can deport them to the first European country they entered but they just come back to Calais and it costs lots to deport them so there is little point.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2680144/Police-rid-Calais-UK-bound-migrants-Officers-admit-losing-battle-clear-hundreds-town.html

It's all very sinister to be honest especially with the fact they are ripping up identity papers and the majority of them are young men.

They can deport them to the first European country they entered but they just come back to Calais and it costs lots to deport them so there is little point

So, live in perpetual squalor & violence for the rest of their lives (there is no upper end to the Jungle's lifespan), while breaking the law by being in France illegally?

That's a poor plan the French have right there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Comparing PDF to Nazis. Really? Thats where you are at?
    Sorry, I'm not sinking THAT low.

Tell you what, go sign up and see if you can think for yourself far enough to make the initial interview.

cajonlardo wrote: »

Comparing PDF to Nazis. Really? Thats where you are at?
    Sorry, I'm not sinking THAT low.

Tell you what, go sign up and see if you can think for yourself far enough to make the initial interview.
    Your the one that said they have to follow the chain of command. I was just summing up what you said.

I thought everyone knew who the defence forces target recruits were. Maybe not!

• Advertisement

What has this dead kid in the med. Got to do with attacking lorry drivers at Calais? Unless he has come back as a ghost?

You suggested drowning immigrants as a "solution".

The child in the pic drowned.

Do you see the connection or are you still laughing too hard at your own ghost joke? Look at the word drown. Focus on it. Think hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Closed for review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod:

OP banned for advocating genocide trolling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement