Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Spanish matador Victor Barrio gored to death in arena live on TV

Options
  • 10-07-2016 3:34am
    Site Banned Posts: 88 ✭✭

A well-known matador has been killed during a bullfight in eastern Spain, the first such incident to occur in the country this century.

The fight was taking place at the festival Feria del Angel in Teruel, during an event which was being shown live on TV.

Professional bullfighter Victor Barrio, 29, was killed by a bull which flipped him over with a horn, then continued to gore and push him along the ground.

Bystanders immediately rushed to help but Mr Barrio had already sustained severe injuries. Doctors were unable to save him and he died in hospital.

The festival was suspended after the incident, which was broadcast live on Spanish television.

www. independent. co. uk /news/world/europe/matador-victor-barrio-bullfight-gored-death-bull-arena-a7128991.html

I never really feel bad when I hear about the bull winning every so often. That bull is the hero of his species.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

And the bull has been culled for his troubles...

lose-lose situation. Some mama and papa are distraught tonight and are probably still awake, unable to sleep because their baby boy is lying on a mortuary slab and some dickheads are mourning the loss of a bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's a supposed fight isn't it? Bull vs Man. The Bull has everything going against him because man runs this blood sport and sets the conditions of combat.

This time the bull won. I feel sympathy for the man's family for their loss, but he understood the risks of bullfighting when he first got himself involved in it.

I don't particularly respect people who engage in sports where animals are treated in such a way to be honest. I don't care about their culture, it's cruel what they do to those bulls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

This is what happens when people use animals for entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

I don't know what the point is in mentioning that it's the first time this century. Unless it's to say it's a rare occurrence, in which case still who gives a ****. People who do this are injured, paralysed and killed all the time. It being the first time in Spain in x number of years doesn't justify what they're doing. Shower of ignorant cnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Such a nasty sport. No real sympathy. Feel very sorry for the bull, not so much for the idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Reminds me of the time years ago when when a bloke I knew was fishing was dared to bite the head off a small fish just after he caught it.

As he bit it's head off , it went in to a spasm with its head getting stuck in his throat and half choking him , it also managed to spray a load of ****e over his face too.

His mate had to give him a few thumps on his back to dislodge the fish's head from his throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No doubt the poor animal lost his life afterwards but at least he got to even the score with that asshole matador first, most bulls don't even get that.

They stick it's neck with those spear things to weaken the neck muscles so the bull has even less of a chance to defend itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Bull-torturer makes bull angry by torturing it - bull kills his torturer.

Fin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Bull-torturer makes bull angry by torturing it - bull kills his torturer.

Fin.

Finally a post I agree with junk Tom. Miracles can happen.

Gladiators died out with the Romans. Men torturing animals should be an exhibit in a museum. The fact that this was broadcast live on Spanish tv apparently is crazy. It is not big and it is certainly not clever.

I generally like the Spanish. This practice is just bull**** though... Literally...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

It's bullfighting which means the bull fights which means occasionally it wins the fight - despite the injuries inflicted on it before the matador arrives to finish the job.

It's terrible that a young man should die in such circumstances, but he, no doubt knew the risks......I'd have more sympathy for him than I would for those tools who go to the bull runs in Spain and get injured when a quarter tonne of raging beast gets hold of them in a narrow street.

btw....pity about the bull, it sounded like it was an extremely impressive example......given it
    ......flipped him over with a horn
    :eek:

......too soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭mosstin

Reminds me of the time years ago when when a bloke I knew was fishing was dared to bite the head off a small fish just after he caught it.

As he bit it's head off , it went in to a spasm with its head getting stuck in his throat and half choking him , it also managed to spray a load of ****e over his face too.

His mate had to give him a few thumps on his back to dislodge the fish's head from his throat.

What????

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Good.

Here's one about an angler drowning that'll have you punching the air...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/78328516/Drowned-fisherman-spent-his-life-in-the-water

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

All the high and mighty brigade should spend an afternoon in an abatoir to see what animal suffering is. Or go to a chicken production plant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

All the high and mighty brigade should spend an afternoon in an abatoir to see what animal suffering is. Or go to a chicken production plant.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

I agree in a way but what is your point to someone torturing a bull for pleasure?

We all (or mostly all) eat meat. I still don't think we should torture and kill animals in a a stadium for sport though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Maybe you should take your own advice, regulations are very strict in slaughterhouses here in Ireland and if bad practices are highlighted then they are acted upon.

That's not to say every country is the same but there is no comparison to people watching a bull being tortured by an idiot in tights.

Torture in a stadium or industrial farm? A decent life with a fight at the end or a life of absolute misery. You choose.

Maybe you should take your own advice, regulations are very strict in slaughterhouses here in Ireland and if bad practices are highlighted then they are acted upon.

That's not to say every country is the same but there is no comparison to people watching a bull being tortured by an idiot in tights.

No thanks. I don't like seeing animals suffer.
    Plenty of animals suffering in Ireland btw. When you get a whole chicken for €5 in Tesco you can assume it has had a horrible life.
    Only difference is that one has spectators.

Torture in a stadium or industrial farm? A decent life with a fight at the end or a life of absolute misery. You choose.

It's not really a fair fight though is it? The bull is taunted and cajoled into it.

When you take pleasure into killing an animal especially in front of a baying crowd then you know you have lost it. Why not go full Romanesque and just fight other humans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I wouldn't mind if it was a fair fight, or if the bull that won was left to live out his days on a farm(that has happened apparently but very very rarely). There is zero respect for the animal, it's all about the human. As it stands it's a stupid sport and some dopey sap in tights got killed by an angry and petrified animal. Fair play to the animal I say. Not surprised it was on Spanish TV mind you. Worst Television… in the woooorld *clarkson voice*

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

I'd never take any pleasure in the loss of a human life, or the suffering of a family. But if an industry exists to torture dangerous animals to death for entertainment, then it's hard to see this as anything but inevitable and possibly even just. Don't want people to be gored to death on live TV? Don't pay them to kill bulls in a painful and protracted manner.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

timthumbni wrote: »
    Why not go full Romanesque and just fight other humans.
    Sounds grand to me. I'd have fewer objections to that TBH. It would be a choice for a start.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Worked in them, and in a knackery......but really if you want shock value, why not encourage people to watch pigs being pole-axed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Should we not respect their traditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Here's one about an angler drowning that'll have you punching the air...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/78328516/Drowned-fisherman-spent-his-life-in-the-water

You really think that this belongs in the same bracket as bullfighting ?

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sounds grand to me. I'd have fewer objections to that TBH. It would be a choice for a start.

Just remembered we do have ufc. That's close enough.

Thespoofer wrote: »
    You really think that this belongs in the same bracket as bullfighting ?

I see them both as torturing fauna for the sport of others.

I have no particular issue with either mind you.

Can you distinguish them in that particular context?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No thanks. I don't like seeing animals suffer.
    Plenty of animals suffering in Ireland btw. When you get a whole chicken for €5 in Tesco you can assume it has had a horrible life.
    Only difference is that one has spectators.

What other life has that five euro chicken experienced?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

A few years ago I spent a couple of summers in Spain teaching English.

On a rare day off, there happened to be a bullfight on. A group of people were going so rather than be lonely I went too.

It was, hands down, one of the most horrific things I have experienced.

We also got "lucky" as the bull won one round against the matador (similar to the story mentioned, except the injuries weren't enough to kill the matador). But we were told how unusual it is to see the bull win and that we should be delighted.

I'm glad I went to the bullfight. It was never something I felt strongly about one way or another (ignorance is bliss) but now I think it's barbaric, and in future summers in Spain I refused to go.

Horrendous "sport".

Advertisement