Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent increase but no contract

Options
  • 28-08-2014 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I am renting since 2012. At first I had a 1-year contract which then automatically rolled into a Part-4 tenancy (I think I read about this somewhere). The landlord is now asking an increased rent.
    I agreed to the new rent, upon condition that he provided me with a new contract stating the higher amount. Regardless of my continuous requests, he will not provide a new contract but still wants the new rent rate. As the due date for the rent is approaching, what should I do?
    Pay the old rate or the new one?
    Is he legally obliged to provide me with a new contract or not?
    P.S. He also did not send me any signed letter regarding the new rate, which was just agreed to by phone and email.
    P.P.S. The tenancy is not registered at PRTB.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

the new rent has been agreed in writing as you have said yourself .. therefore it is due.

you have a lease, after 12 months the LL is entitled to seek a rent increase (in line with market rates) .. you agreed to it therefore you must pay it.

the PRTB reg is a totally different thing and does not affect your tenancy, as an aside how do you know it isn't registered? The house I have let out is registered and paid for with the PRTB but does not show up on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You have it in an email and are fully covered by part four, you are also free to give notice when every you wish if you sign a new lease you have to say a full year. I'd pay the rent and forget about about a contract

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MIAIT

whippet wrote: »
    the new rent has been agreed in writing as you have said yourself .. therefore it is due.

you have a lease, after 12 months the LL is entitled to seek a rent increase (in line with market rates) .. you agreed to it therefore you must pay it.

the PRTB reg is a totally different thing and does not affect your tenancy, as an aside how do you know it isn't registered? The house I have let out is registered and paid for with the PRTB but does not show up on their website.

Thanks for replying. How I know the tenancy is not registered is that I emailed PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

PRTB registration is not your problem. From a tenant's perspective it makes absolutely no difference if the tenancy is registered or not. You are still afforded the protection of the PRTB.

Advertisement