Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quatertown Mill near Mallow Co Cork

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

As far as I know the one at Clonakilty has never started since it left Mallow circa 1987? It went to Fenit to view the harbour for a year or two before ending up at Clonakilty. The other one ended up sold or scrapped - could be at Belturbet.

There's another 'preserved' Ruston (ex.CSE Thurles) and (GSRPS Mallow) at the "Ramble Inn" in Halfway. The village is situated 6 miles from Cork Airport, on the L2231, and is just off the N71 and R589 roads (Halfway to Bandon), which is the main road corridor connecting Cork city and West Cork, and eventually onto Kerry.

Pic below. If you study it carefully you can just see the Ruston in the background - as far as I know it still belongs to the GSRPS 'renegade' steam section. :D

I recall MK telling me years back that he sourced one from the sugar company; shock horror him leaving out a few via's of it's trip to the border town :rolleyes: but given that you recall two and that Belturbet has one, it's a fair chance that it is indeed it. Last time I saw it up there, it's in aestethic reasonable condition and under a roof though it's hosted a few cider parties in it's time, as has the brake fan attached to it. It had a better run of luck than the carriage they got as well :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

One of the carriages at Belturbet (the 6 wheeler) is ex.Waterford, Limerick & Western Railway Family Saloon/Royal Saloon #900 of 1890 and should be in Cultra. By whose authority it ended up in Belturbet is beyond me as I was not consulted and my approval would have been needed.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAIvDltdIJeSwHoCOgS44UuZS_0E7O17mZFzPxWWwn7DaeNjbe4LbCa2g_MQ

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67376812

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

One of the carriages at Belturbet (the 6 wheeler) is ex.Waterford, Limerick & Western Railway Family Saloon/Royal Saloon #900 of 1890 and should be in Cultra. By whose authority it ended up in Belturbet is beyond me as I was not consulted and my approval would have been needed.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAIvDltdIJeSwHoCOgS44UuZS_0E7O17mZFzPxWWwn7DaeNjbe4LbCa2g_MQ

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67376812

Dare I ask who owns it or claims same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Dare I ask who owns it or claims same?

there used be one of those bad boys in the yard at the sugar factory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

there used be one of those bad boys in the yard at the sugar factory

You mean the one at Mallow? Collapsed where it was sat a couple of years ago. Completely rotten through after 40-50(?) odd years in the open.

• Advertisement

dmcronin wrote: »
    You mean the one at Mallow? Collapsed where it was sat a couple of years ago. Completely rotten through after 40-50(?) odd years in the open.

If you mean the body of the GSWR 'birdcage' 6 wheel brakevan that was in the Mallow beet sidings - it was another of my purchases that never escaped from where it lay. A regular Dr.Cox - that's me. :D

k13.jpg

Would have looked something like this in its heyday but obviously of no historical importance whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

JD would you PLEASE write a book of your preservation career. It sounds fascinating.( I only ever got to buy a 50% stake in one coach)

corktina wrote: »
    JD would you PLEASE write a book of your preservation career. It sounds fascinating.( I only ever got to buy a 50% stake in one coach)

Like so many other things that I have been involved the book is long started but may never be finished - honestly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 duffmckegean

Like so many other things that I have been involved the book is long started but may never be finished - honestly. :D

Definatly finish it JD. It would make some stocking filler.
    I would love to read about your jaunts on the north kerry line in the 70's/80's.

ya thats the one, its was in a sad state :(

Wonder where all the stuff went from the buttevant accident that was dumped in the back of mallow railway station up until a few years ago where the new car park now stands.

• Advertisement

ya thats the one, its was in a sad state :(

Wonder where all the stuff went from the buttevant accident that was dumped in the back of mallow railway station up until a few years ago where the new car park now stands.

All the stuff from the Buttevant crash was removed at the time of the crash - presumably to Inchicore - and the stuff at Mallow was the Great Southern Railway Preservation Society preservation depot. Thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66963749

Really? God i always taught differntly!

Was there much went on there? I done ever remember seeing any work going on there, i was in there one time and it just seemed to be all over grown with old carriages and the old CIE containers on flats.

the turntable was there alright but stayed clear of it, I Understand a kid was killed while messing about on it years ago.

EDIT: After reading that it seems the rolling stock was removed to rathpeacon in 89 or there abouts, the stuff im referring to was there long after that, in fact it was there up until about 2007 until they brought in the diggers and totally cleared the yard, 2007 is only a rough figure. it may have been 06 or 05.

It was the old type DMU that was there or at least i think its what its called, ill search pics. there was also 2 carriages from it and a few flats.

One of these and 2 carriages were there
    Millstreet_20060806_007_CC_JA.jpg

All the best rolling stock (the 1950s carriages and a large number of freight vehicles) was removed to Rathpeacon and subsequently scrapped, while the vintage items such as six-wheelers, two G-class diesel locomotives, 2 Rustons, the steam crane, the DMU type vehicle (Raicar B from the SL&NCR), various box vans etc.etc. were marooned at Mallow. The two G-class were sold to the Irish Traction Group, Railcar B ended up at Downpatrick, the six-wheelers went to an hotel in Clifden, Belturbet Heritage Centre, Downpatrick etc.etc. - a sorry outcome but inevitable as far back as 1983.

cheers! the crane looks nice on its perch now next to the car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i feel your pain JD:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RevRed

According to Johnson's Atlas & Gazetteer the Mallow Beet Factory Siding was opened in 1934. It served the Beet Factory, closed c.1974, lifted c.1980 but re-laid into factory 1989/90.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

RevRed wrote: »
    According to Johnson's Atlas & Gazetteer the Mallow Beet Factory Siding was opened in 1934. It served the Beet Factory, closed c.1974, lifted c.1980 but re-laid into factory 1989/90.

01f571aa94fd33e2c64e33b444a8848c.gif

Seven year old thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

seven year old thread that isn't about the Beet Sidings anyway!

Advertisement