Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommended Books

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

UML Distilled by Martin Fowler.

It talks about UML in the context of a communication tool rather than in the context of a tool to model every detail of a system. It deals with a subset of UML which can be used to capture and express knowledge about software systems very effectively.

(I can't post links because I am new.)

All his books can be found here.

I link to them all, because I've heard that pretty much anything he's written is gold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Hungheavy

Can anyone recommend a good book for learning SQL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi,

Anyone got a recommendation for beginner/intermediate level Java - looking to have upto Java 8 covered. I was looking at Effective Java, but it only goes up to Jave SE 6.

I'm also looking for a book which is focused on programming methodology - i.e. how to design a program in terms of its architecture and how to break down a problem into its solution. Suggestions greatly welcome.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Hi,

Anyone got a recommendation for beginner/intermediate level Java - looking to have upto Java 8 covered. I was looking at Effective Java, but it only goes up to Jave SE 6.

I'm also looking for a book which is focused on programming methodology - i.e. how to design a program in terms of its architecture and how to break down a problem into its solution. Suggestions greatly welcome.

Thanks.
    Java 6 is plenty to be getting started with tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Java 6 is plenty to be getting started with tbh

So, I should be okay with Effective Java still? Even though I'm going into a job using 7 and soon going to 8?

Thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If you are looking to cover the basics, then 6 will do fine. You might want to look at something else for the the advanced stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,210 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sparks wrote: »
    My shortlist:

I would have added a few from your list. The first two for sure and TAOCP of course.

I'd also add a few of the Richard Steven's books to the list. The network programming ones and APUE. Just don't see that there are two editions of his networking book(s) and assume that the first one would not be worth buying. It's actually a nicer book. If you had to buy either first or second editions, I'd say go with first one. Some of the stuff in the second one is actually a bit superfluous and outdated, while the first edition has good general fundamentals

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

UML Distilled by Martin Fowler.

It talks about UML in the context of a communication tool rather than in the context of a tool to model every detail of a system. It deals with a subset of UML which can be used to capture and express knowledge about software systems very effectively.

(I can't post links because I am new.)

I love his book on refactoring. A really useful read for anyone working with legacy code, which is most of us at one time or another,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Can anyone recommend a design patterns book - I'll be programming in Python.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Got a book there a few weeks ago:
    No Bullshit guide to Maths & Phyics by Ivan Savov.

Great book for brushing up on maths and just having as a reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

An old thread but good. I notice there isn't anything on CI/CD. For me Fowler's is the best book

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Humble bundle have a bunch of web programming books at knock down prices for charity this week. May be of interest to some here, I've picked up some of these programming book bundles in the past and IMHO they represent fantastic value for a good cause.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

Nowadays, I am thinking to buy 'The Road to React with Firebase'. You can also suggest if there are other books related to Google Firebase.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 CodeApples

I'm a new user so can't post links, but some great free resources if you just search for books on github

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 jobrien874ie

Humble Bundle is a great source of programming books - Javascript/React etc - usually have a bundle on every couple of months with a decent amount of O'Reilly Books in etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bilginc95

There are great e-books and resources that you can download for free on Bilginc IT Academy's "free documents" page. I'm a new user so I couldn't post the link but you can google it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Good series of short ebooks from Syncfusion too. Great for quickly getting up to speed in a new tech.

Advertisement