Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol Addiction Treatment

Options
  • 12-11-2018 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am posting on here as I have decided that I need help with my drinking. It's been an issue for me since being at college but has got worse in the last few years. I don't drink every day but most days and have lost 2 jobs over it. I am in my 20s and have only done casual jobs partly due to not feeling like I was ready for a "serious" job put also because the work I was doing I could get away with drinking.

I have been in trouble with the Guards a few times - nothing too serious but doing stupid things when drunk and getting into a few fights. I missed a court date due to drink and got arrested on a bench warrant and got remanded in custody. I hadn't been in touch with my family for weeks and had to phone them and tell them I was in prison, I felt so ashamed. I never thought that someone like me would end up in prison. It was the worst week of my life but the first thing I did after getting out was going for a few drinks.

I have moved back home and my family want me to get help and I know I need it. I also have court cases coming up and my solicitor told me that getting treatment would help that. I havent had a drink for 8 days and think that because of what happened was a big wake up call and maybe I can get through this myself. I was meant to ring Cuan Mhuire this morning but havent done it yet.

I checked their website and its very general but there is a 12 week programme for alcohol. I dont know but thought maybe people would have some idea of what the programme is like and if it could help someone like me, I ave told my family that I am waiting to hear back with a date But I haven;t contacted them yet because I don't know if it would be right for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

i dont know anything about the programme.

But can i say that lying to your family about what you have done e.g waiting on a date etc is part of the problem behaviour on your part. if you are serious about getting sorted, you need to stop lying, be honest, and ask for help when you need it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I had a brother who went there last year, unfortunately he didn't have the right attitude for it because he didn't want the help and it was only because he would be made homeless unless he went in and when he finished the program and came out within two days, we found him passed out nearby, he had drank two bottles of vodka, so the fact that you want help is a good start, I would say go for it, as far as I know they put you too work and then you have individual and group therapy sessions, I would say go for it, you won't know yourself when you get out, also I second what Xterminator says, tell your family everything, part of my brothers problem is he can't admit to the truth that he has a problem and needs help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You want this. You have taken the first steps. That is a great thing.

What you want is not easy. It might seem easy enough on Monday morning,but it isn’t. That is the bad news (really the only bad news).

The good news is that you don’t have to do it alone. There are people who can help.

Ring that number at 2 and go and see those people as soon as you can. They will help you find the help you need to do what you want to do. You can make up your mind once you have all the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Google the Sinclair method. It's a drug that has a huge success rate of curing alcoholism. I came across it on a Ted Talk recently and although I'd be a bit cynical it was an interesting watch and I'm sure worth looking into. Good luck OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Anon75 wrote: »
    I checked their website and its very general but there is a 12 week programme for alcohol. I dont know but thought maybe people would have some idea of what the programme is like and if it could help someone like me, I ave told my family that I am waiting to hear back with a date But I haven;t contacted them yet because I don't know if it would be right for me.

Its going to be more right for you than your current situation is isnt it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Unless you're very religious, I'd recommend a behavioural program like Coolmine over Cuan Mhuire (I've done both.) The likes of Coolmine are all about empowering you, whereas religious-based programs are all about handing over your power, which just didn't sit well with me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Unless you're very religious, I'd recommend a behavioural program like Coolmine

Do you know do they have treatment centers around the country?

Do you know do they have treatment centers around the country?

No only dublin. There are other non-religious programs around the country, eg tabor group down in cork, hope house in mayo. Coolmine is much longer though and in my opinion, for anyone with a serious addiction problem, longer is generally better. A few months isn't much in the context of your whole life!

Coolmine is much longer though and in my opinion, for anyone with a serious addiction problem,

Probably what my brother needs.

I had a brother who went there last year, unfortunately he didn't have the right attitude for it because he didn't want the help and it was only because he would be made homeless unless he went in and when he finished the program and came out within two days, we found him passed out nearby, he had drank two bottles of vodka, so the fact that you want help is a good start, I would say go for it, as far as I know they put you too work and then you have individual and group therapy sessions, I would say go for it, you won't know yourself when you get out, also I second what Xterminator says, tell your family everything, part of my brothers problem is he can't admit to the truth that he has a problem and needs help.

Thanks. Thing is I know I have an alcohol problem with the things I do when I am drunk but have never thought I was an alcoholic (even writing that seems strange) but a week in a cell mademe seriously think about getting help when before I didnt really think I needed it.

Soeey to hear about your brother. Did that happen after he did yhe full programme or did he drop out before finishing it?

• Advertisement

Unless you're very religious, I'd recommend a behavioural program like Coolmine over Cuan Mhuire (I've done both.) The likes of Coolmine are all about empowering you, whereas religious-based programs are all about handing over your power, which just didn't sit well with me.

No am not religious at all. It was just the Prison Chaplin had suggested it to me. I havent done much research into it so is good to hear what you say.

I am in Dublin and have heard of Coolmine but thought it was only for drugs? Do you know how long the courses are and if there is a long waiting list? I think the Cuan Mhuire one is 12 weeks. U dont know if you can or want to but maybe you could give me a basic idea of what the program is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Well your still young OP, I was like yourself in my 20s and i will tell you what worked for me. Set yourself a relistic goal.Move away from home some where there is plenty building work get a job on a building site, work hard and as many hours as you can make money and start buying yourself nice thing's like nice clothes, nice car, and eventually a nice house and with that should come nice wife and nice kids. Well it did for me anyway but it was 20 years ago where a man with a house was seen a good catch. I don't bother much with pubs anymore because i have better and nicer things to spend my hard earned money on. Look set your self a goal for 6 months no drink, get a job, a good reference from your employer for your court case and hopefully you can turn the corner. My favourite saying is god looks after those who looks after themselves.

No am not religious at all. It was just the Prison Chaplin had suggested it to me. I havent done much research into it so is good to hear what you say.

I am in Dublin and have heard of Coolmine but thought it was only for drugs? Do you know how long the courses are and if there is a long waiting list? I think the Cuan Mhuire one is 12 weeks. U dont know if you can or want to but maybe you could give me a basic idea of what the program is like?

Nope drugs and alcohol, I went there for alcohol only. They do a day program and a residential (it's the residential I did.) They do an information group in the Ana Liffey on middle abbey st every Tuesday and Thursday at 2pm, that's the first step for getting an assessment etc. You don't need to book in advance for the group, just show up.

It's 5 months long. You do pre-entry groups twice a week while waiting to get in, you could be waiting a couple of weeks or up to a couple of months.

The days are very structured, it's actually a therapeutic community as opposed to a treatment centre, so residents are given a lot of the responsibility for running the place (supported by staff.) Lots of group therapy, also individual key working and counselling. It's all based on challenging your thoughts and behaviours. You're actually given a lot of freedom and time out of the place compared to other places, so you don't get institutionalised I guess!

Best thing I ever did, I've done many other treatments and relapsed immediately after, all I got was some sober time as opposed to real recovery. They really do rebuild you from the ground up. It's a tough program, very difficult at times, but if you get through it there's not much that'll faze you in the "real" world after.

Plus the follow-up care in terms of step-down, aftercare and individual care plans is far far better than you'll get anywhere else.

The drink took me for a long time. The only way I got the lámh in uachtarover it was by removing myself from all occasions when drink was being sold - e.g I stopped going to pubs, parties, weddings or anything else. I stopped buying alcohol and removed all of it from my home. By changing my environment I gave myself a whole new world to breathe and develop once again. That was 4.5 years ago and I haven't drunk since. I didn't need rehab, even though I definitely thought I initially would have to. Remove all the threats and get a project to reinvent yourself.

Thanks. Thing is I know I have an alcohol problem with the things I do when I am drunk but have never thought I was an alcoholic (even writing that seems strange) but a week in a cell mademe seriously think about getting help when before I didnt really think I needed it.

Soeey to hear about your brother. Did that happen after he did yhe full programme or did he drop out before finishing it?

If you feel you need help go get it, even the counselling would be a big help for ya.

He did the full three months, he came home on the Saturday and was drinking by Monday and back to his old ways, we got him into Fellowship house (again he was not happy about it and was very abusive the week before he left) and he did another three months there, came home at xmas, went on a bender, xmas week was hell, at that stage he was living in bisopstown, I can't remember the name of the place and he came home again in April, promised he wouldn't drink and within a week he was back drinking again and its been hell ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ChrissieH

I completely agree with Foweva Awone, my ex went through the same style programme as Cuan Mhuire and while at the time, I didn't criticise it too much, after a while I did think back and personally feel that the religious aspect of it all is not realistic for everyone. Partly because religion isn't everyone's cup of tea but also because religion kind of encourages the thinking that we are quite powerless in the face of "God" and therefore, in my opinion, it takes away peoples' sense that they have the power within themselves to change?

Each to their own but I wouldn't go rushing into any treatment centre straight away without doing a bit more research first; AA meetings are open to everyone who struggles with alcohol so you could always go along to some of them and see what you think, and my own personal opinion would be that everyone should try psychotherapy / counselling as the first port of call, especially for someone like you, when you don't feel that you're absolutely in the grips of addiction, you're obviously still functioning and conscious of what's going on, so it might be worth contacting a few therapists to see if they would recommend some CBT or other form of counselling for you.

Residential programmes are usually very expensive so it might not be a great idea to focus completely on that as being your saviour in case the cost is prohibitive - that might result in you feeling defeated and be an excuse to continue drinking.

Best of luck with whatever path you choose and fair play to you.

popa smurf wrote: »
    Well your still young OP, I was like yourself in my 20s and i will tell you what worked for me. Set yourself a relistic goal.Move away from home some where there is plenty building work get a job on a building site, work hard and as many hours as you can make money and start buying yourself nice thing's like nice clothes, nice car, and eventually a nice house and with that should come nice wife and nice kids. Well it did for me anyway but it was 20 years ago where a man with a house was seen a good catch. I don't bother much with pubs anymore because i have better and nicer things to spend my hard earned money on. Look set your self a goal for 6 months no drink, get a job, a good reference from your employer for your court case and hopefully you can turn the corner. My favourite saying is god looks after those who looks after themselves.

What you say makes sense and that was sort of my plan but I think I might need to do more with my court case coming up and the judge told me I wasnt taking things seriously when he remanded me in custody. I am meeting my solicitor on that side of things next week.

I was doing labouring for a while and that was the job I was doing when I got arrested, Alot of the lads would be big drinkers too and I would spend most evenings drinking with them as I was away from home. I am doing some very casual work now but know I need to get back working full time.

Nope drugs and alcohol, I went there for alcohol only. They do a day program and a residential (it's the residential I did.) They do an information group in the Ana Liffey on middle abbey st every Tuesday and Thursday at 2pm, that's the first step for getting an assessment etc. You don't need to book in advance for the group, just show up.

It's 5 months long. You do pre-entry groups twice a week while waiting to get in, you could be waiting a couple of weeks or up to a couple of months.

The days are very structured, it's actually a therapeutic community as opposed to a treatment centre, so residents are given a lot of the responsibility for running the place (supported by staff.) Lots of group therapy, also individual key working and counselling. It's all based on challenging your thoughts and behaviours. You're actually given a lot of freedom and time out of the place compared to other places, so you don't get institutionalised I guess!

Best thing I ever did, I've done many other treatments and relapsed immediately after, all I got was some sober time as opposed to real recovery. They really do rebuild you from the ground up. It's a tough program, very difficult at times, but if you get through it there's not much that'll faze you in the "real" world after.

Plus the follow-up care in terms of step-down, aftercare and individual care plans is far far better than you'll get anywhere else.

Really appreciate all the info. It sounds real intense and 5 months seems real long but sounds like there is a good plan after you finish it. If I did do a residential course that would be my worry -what would happen when it was finished and would I end up back to where I was before. But really good to get an ideas of what to expect. I am thinking of going to one of those afternoon sessions in town. I take it you dont have tp commit to anything straight off?

ChrissieH wrote: »
    I completely agree with Foweva Awone, my ex went through the same style programme as Cuan Mhuire and while at the time, I didn't criticise it too much, after a while I did think back and personally feel that the religious aspect of it all is not realistic for everyone. Partly because religion isn't everyone's cup of tea but also because religion kind of encourages the thinking that we are quite powerless in the face of "God" and therefore, in my opinion, it takes away peoples' sense that they have the power within themselves to change?

Each to their own but I wouldn't go rushing into any treatment centre straight away without doing a bit more research first; AA meetings are open to everyone who struggles with alcohol so you could always go along to some of them and see what you think, and my own personal opinion would be that everyone should try psychotherapy / counselling as the first port of call, especially for someone like you, when you don't feel that you're absolutely in the grips of addiction, you're obviously still functioning and conscious of what's going on, so it might be worth contacting a few therapists to see if they would recommend some CBT or other form of counselling for you.

Residential programmes are usually very expensive so it might not be a great idea to focus completely on that as being your saviour in case the cost is prohibitive - that might result in you feeling defeated and be an excuse to continue drinking.

Thanks. I have booked an appointment with my family GP who I havent seen in ages. I am going to talk to him as well before I decide what to do.

All the things you said I will think about. What is CBT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Dick Swiveller

I think you and a few others are being harsh on Cuan Mhuire. I have had family members who went there (not very religious) and they found it a great help. Vincent Browne spent time there, too. Sr Consilio has dedicated her life to helping the down trodden. I don't know is it just fashionable Church bashing by a few posters here but the OP could do a lot worse than go to Cuan Mhuire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ChrissieH

CBT is cognitive behavioural therapy and while it's probably not enough on its own to conquer addictions, it is basically a therapy that helps you to challenge & ultimately change how you think and behave. It can be really successful for helping people to overcome phobias and anxieties but like I said, I don't know if it would be enough to help with a deep-rooted addiction but I think everything is worth trying, even just as a way of building up resilience and improving mental strength / personal development.

Dick Swiveller, I'm not criticising the programmes in Cuan Mhuire just for the sake of it, I just feel that there may be other options out there for different personality types - as I said, each to their own and of course those programmes have worked brilliantly for lots of people but in my personal opinion, the idea of being powerless and succumbing to a Higher Power just doesn't fit with my own philosophy of life. It's not about church bashing, it's about everyone being aware that there are now more ways of doing things in Ireland than the "traditional" ways and that they can choose what suits them best.

I think you and a few others are being harsh on Cuan Mhuire. I have had family members who went there (not very religious) and they found it a great help. Vincent Browne spent time there, too. Sr Consilio has dedicated her life to helping the down trodden. I don't know is it just fashionable Church bashing by a few posters here but the OP could do a lot worse than go to Cuan Mhuire.

Look I'm not bashing it, I spent seven months there and got seven months sober. It's good for that; there's very little chance of relapsing while on the program because you don't get any time out at all at any stage of the program, no opportunity for relapse. And for some people, that bit of sober time and perspective and peace from the outside world is all they need. I know plenty of people who got sober there and stayed sober (I wasn't one of them, even after seven months I relapsed the weekend I left.)

Personally I'm in favour of programs that focus on life in the real world, and reintegration back into normal society, rather than being hidden away from your life and your family and your problems. Programs other than Cuan Mhuire are far better at dealing with these real issues - while still keeping you in a relatively safe environment.

Addiction treatment is ideally something you'd like to do right first time around, rather than (like me!) doing multiple programs because of lack of knowledge ... Cuan Mhuire is far from the only or best option. And your daily routine in there - mediations, mass, rosaries, etc - while relaxing, is not realistic or sustainable when you leave, not for most people at least. I'm grateful for the seven months sober time I got there, but I can't say I grew or developed much as a person at all. And I certainly wasn't challenged in any way - the programs I got most out of were the ones I had to work hardest on. Cuan Mhuire, I could do it again in my sleep. (I wouldn't, though!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I am posting on here as I have decided that I need help with my drinking. It's been an issue for me since being at college but has got worse in the last few years. I don't drink every day but most days and have lost 2 jobs over it. I am in my 20s and have only done casual jobs partly due to not feeling like I was ready for a "serious" job put also because the work I was doing I could get away with drinking.

I have been in trouble with the Guards a few times - nothing too serious but doing stupid things when drunk and getting into a few fights. I missed a court date due to drink and got arrested on a bench warrant and got remanded in custody. I hadn't been in touch with my family for weeks and had to phone them and tell them I was in prison, I felt so ashamed. I never thought that someone like me would end up in prison. It was the worst week of my life but the first thing I did after getting out was going for a few drinks.

I have moved back home and my family want me to get help and I know I need it. I also have court cases coming up and my solicitor told me that getting treatment would help that. I havent had a drink for 8 days and think that because of what happened was a big wake up call and maybe I can get through this myself. I was meant to ring Cuan Mhuire this morning but havent done it yet.

I think any medically approved program would be good. It gives you and your family a break. I would suggest reading a book by Jack Vale how to give up the drink easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

CBT is cognitive behavioural therapy and while it's probably not enough on its own to conquer addictions, it is basically a therapy that helps you to challenge & ultimately change how you think and behave. It can be really successful for helping people to overcome phobias and anxieties but like I said, I don't know if it would be enough to help with a deep-rooted addiction but I think everything is worth trying, even just as a way of building up resilience and improving mental strength / personal development.

Dick Swiveller, I'm not criticising the programmes in Cuan Mhuire just for the sake of it, I just feel that there may be other options out there for different personality types - as I said, each to their own and of course those programmes have worked brilliantly for lots of people but in my personal opinion, the idea of being powerless and succumbing to a Higher Power just doesn't fit with my own philosophy of life. It's not about church bashing, it's about everyone being aware that there are now more ways of doing things in Ireland than the "traditional" ways and that they can choose what suits them best.

Life Ring is a good secular group. It's different from AA in that no reference to higher power and powerlessness plus they talk to you after you give your story. Cross talk. I also think Jack Vale has a great approach in his. Book. AA members always give the sense they have given up something that is worthwhile. They are left with a hankering that can go on for decades. Jack Vale teaches that you ain't missing out on nothing. He debunks pretty much all the pro alcohol myths out there. Doesn't believe in calling those who give it up alcoholics. Basically says anybody who drinks regularly has some form of addiction to it

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭LolaJJ

Hey OP,

As someone who took part in a residential treatment programme for addiction (not alcohol) 8 years ago... my advice would be that the treatment is only as effective as you are.

You can't get clean and sober for a partner, court date, family member and expect to stay that way. I made friends for life during my treatment but the relapse rate is devastating. I relapsed twice in the first year of my release but found my balance then and have never relapsed since.

There's no secret recipe, recovery is bloody hard but it's available to anyone who truly wants it.

As for the religious stuff....the 12-step programme is based on spirituality, I eventually rejected it altogether as I found it unhelpful to keep telling myself I was powerless but the centres do also offer some really good tools that make up for the annoying bits.

I've found, if you really want something you'll try anything to get it

Advertisement