Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Conyngham Arms* 150 guests????

Options
  • 13-11-2018 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Has anyone had a wedding at the Conyngham Arms Hotel in Slane and had the max number of guests 150?
    Was it very tight for space in the room?
    Can they extend with a Marquee?
    Going to view soon but would like to hear from those with experience please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We are getting married there next year and are hoping to have 100-110 max. I'd imagine it could be a bit tight with the full 150 but the staff there would let you know as they are the experts. They did say to me that they can have a marquee out in the garden. It's a lovely venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

Thanks so much for your reply!
    I didn’t know about the marquee option... I’m going to see it this weekend so I’ll definitely ask about it.
    I love the idea of having the whole place to ourselves and with 30 rooms a lot of our guests can stay in the venue which is not an option with most exclusive venues.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

With regard to a marquee, I'd just say to be careful. It can have a lot of political ramifications if you aren't, with the people in the marquee feeling like they're the second-class wedding guests compared to the people in the main room.

That being said, it can work fine when managed carefully. I know someone who had that set up and the bride and groom put all of their close friends into the marquee. The friends had a great time with each other and already knew they were important guests. But many people fall into the trap of putting extended family, work colleagues or parents' friends out there and it makes a clear statement, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

Yes I’m aware this can be an issue for some venues. It’s the reason I’ve crossed The Mill House off the list due to their set up with a marquee making the room essentially split level so half the guest can’t see the top table at all during the meal or hear speeches etc.
    I’ll keep it in mind, it does depend on the setup of the marquee at the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I'm just thinking that they might put the marquee in the garden which is down some steps & definitely would be like having two separate rooms I think. In my dealings so far with them, the wedding co-ordinator is very practical & straight to the point so I'd imagine she'd tell you straight off if it's something they can do or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Sparky85 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your reply!
    I didn’t know about the marquee option... I’m going to see it this weekend so I’ll definitely ask about it.
    I love the idea of having the whole place to ourselves and with 30 rooms a lot of our guests can stay in the venue which is not an option with most exclusive venues.

Hi Sparky, I got married in the Conyngham Arms in 2016 (edit - OMG I just forgot what year I got married!) and I'm not sure at all how they would have a marquee to increase the numbers. The garden is down some very steep steps and nowhere near the reception room. And the garden itself isn't that big to take a marquee big enough for 150 people.

There were about 80 people at our wedding and it was very comfortable. I've no idea how they would squeeze 150 into the reception room there. I can't imagine it would be at all doable. In saying that, we had a fantastic time for our wedding and the staff were great on the day. Nothing was a problem for them. The place looked amazing and our guests commented on the nice dinner (but guests are obliged to do that - they're not gonna tell you it's ****. lol)

Also you mention 30 rooms. Are you sure you're talking about the Conyngham Arms in Slane? There are about 10 rooms in the hotel itself and another few in the annex across the road. There's no way there's 30 rooms unless they've significantly extended the hotel in the last 3 years?

Advertisement