Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight Compensation Yes/No?

Options
  • 30-10-2018 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hello,

Can you advise if I'm entitled to anything in the following situation:

Due to Fly DUB to ORD (Irish carrier)
    Arrived at DUB 5 hrs before flight and told flight was cancelled (there was no previous communication indicating flight wouold be cancelled)
    I was put onto the next flight the following day (free of charge)
    I was put up in a Hotel and provided with meals all paid for.
    Flight arrived +20hrs late (from my original arrival time)

Based on what I've read online I would have thought I should receive EUR600.

This happened back in Aug. I've sent 2 letters by registered mail but still no word back form the air line responsible. How should I proceed?

Thanks,

WM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Was it an EU-based airline?

Based on your description, it sounds like you have a potential case under EU261. If they’re not responding, I think I’ve heard of people going to the Small Claims Court to get their compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

water-man wrote:
    Due to Fly DUB to ORD (Irish carrier) Arrived at DUB 5 hrs before flight and told flight was cancelled (there was no previous communication indicating flight wouold be cancelled) I was put onto the next flight the following day (free of charge) I was put up in a Hotel and provided with meals all paid for. Flight arrived +20hrs late (from my original arrival time)

What was the reason for the flight being cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

all depends on the reason for cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Hi,

Was with Aer Lingus.

Is there a number I can phone to talk with someone? I've sent 2 letters both by registered post and can see both have been delivered.

No reason was given to me for flight cancelled. Although that evening I was talking to another passenger who said they were told it was bad weather but her husband lives in Chicago and it was a beautiful day.

Thanks,

WM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

might have been nice in Chicago but that doesn't mean it was nice at the destination or en route or where the plane was coming from - too many variables.

• Advertisement

Did you complete the official Aer Lingus claim form?

https://www.aerlingus.com/support/forms/post-travel-enquiry/ (Select 261 under Issue)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

might have been nice in Chicago but that doesn't mean it was nice at the destination or en route or where the plane was coming from - too many variables.

Knock-ons from previous flights aren't a get-out as the airline could have either had better fleet planning or done a hire-in. En route weather needs to be incredibly bad to do more than impact flight times or require a fuel stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

Chicago was the destination.

OP, you need to fill in Aer Lingus' online form for compensation. If you haven't done that, you haven't applied for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Thanks to the link supplied by Dudara I've been in contact with Aer Lingus and they have confirmed I'm entitled to compensation.

So a big thank you to Dudara and Boards.ie for helping me get a positive result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Aer Lingus cancelled my elderly uncles flight from SNN-JFK last month, notified him 48 hours prior to the cancellation as he was due to fly out on a Friday and I managed to get him rebooked onto a flight on a Sunday instead and they changed his return date so he would still have his ten days in the US.

Apparently Aer Lingus have been cancelling flights from Shannon all summer like this without any reason. Would he be entitled to compensation for the cancellation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Hi OP, did you get compensation yet? We were due to fly out on the 21st Nov DUB-ORD, they kept us waiting around for almost 4 hours after the supposed departure time and then told us the flight was cancelled. Some pain after travelling from waterford, doing the whole security thing and waiting for hours. We got a flight for the next day(which was thanksgiving) but it ****ed up our plans to surprise a relative and left us with a 4 day trip rather than 5 days.

Put a request for compensation through lastnight and got an email an hour ago saying they will be sending €1800 back to us. Cant believe it happened so fast, very happy with this outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Well they didn't have a leg to stand on.

Got my cheque last week :):) success!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Thread hijack but I am having awful issue to get American Airlines to pay out for a flight cancellation out of SNN last July. I am considering handing it over to one of the flight comp companies to fight. What kind of commission do they take?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Worried2019

Don’t think you have a case, not under EU261 anyway as American Airlines are not an EU carrier... I could be mistaken but that’s my understanding

Don’t think you have a case, not under EU261 anyway as American Airlines are not an EU carrier... I could be mistaken but that’s my understanding

Is ir not any flight originating out of the EU which is covered? Flight from Shannon was cancelled as the plane couldn't leave Philadelphia due to weather delays resulting in staff being unable to fly as they would be on duty past their allowed working hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Is ir not any flight originating out of the EU which is covered? Flight from Shannon was cancelled as the plane couldn't leave Philadelphia due to weather delays resulting in staff being unable to fly as they would be on duty past their allowed working hours.

Surely weather delays are classed as being beyond the control of the airline & therefore not eligible for compensation.

The flight out from the US was outside their control, but you could argue that they could have arranged another plane & crew for the flight from Shannon, so that was within their control. I don’t know if that argument stands up.

As the flight was originating from within the EU, it does fall under EU261 applicability. The argument is if the event was exceptional.

dudara wrote: »
    The flight out from the US was outside their control, but you could argue that they could have arranged another plane & crew for the flight from Shannon, so that was within their control. I don’t know if that argument stands up.

As the flight was originating from within the EU, it does fall under EU261 applicability. The argument is if the event was exceptional.

I argued that it was my flight that was cancelled from SNN and that the outgoing flight not being able to fly due staff issues as a knock on effect of bad weather was not the issue on my side so I should be entitled to comp. We arrived at the airport to be told it was cancelled and no reason given only that the flight from Philadelphia had been cancelled so there was no plane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

EU 261 only applies to EU registered carriers.

American Airlines would seem to be off the hook, whatever the reason for the delay

American Airlines would seem to be off the hook, whatever the reason for the delay

My understanding is that it applies to all flights originating from EU airports, or inbound flights by EU carriers. The below is taken from Wikipedia
    The regulation applies to any passenger:
      departing from an airport located in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies; The protection accorded to passengers departing from or to an airport located in a Member State should be extended to those leaving an airport located in a third country for one situated in a Member State, when a Community carrier operates the flight and where a community carrier is defined as any carrier licensed to operate within that community.
      departing from an EU member state, or
      travelling to an EU member state on an airline based in an EU member state

Yeah, my mistake

I don't think so. The customer care rep was of the opinion that weather caused the inital delay so comp wouldn't need to be paid. She never mentioned comp wouldn't be paid as the they were not EU registered. Surely this would have been her first response if they were absolved of having to pay.

I don't think so. The customer care rep was of the opinion that weather caused the inital delay so comp wouldn't need to be paid. She never mentioned comp wouldn't be paid as the they were not EU registered. Surely this would have been her first response if they were absolved of having to pay.

Scroll up.

Advertisement