Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work issue

Options
  • 10-11-2018 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Been suspended from work dont know the reason

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Nor do we ...

You're probably too handsome.. I can't think of any other reason going by your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

You haven't asked a question so I'm unsure what advice you are looking for. Did you even question why they suspended you? Surely that would be your first action. You may have been caught off guard at the time but contact your employer asap to establish the reason. From there, you can take the next appropriate step.

No one here can advise why you were suspended and expecting us to speculate would be useless for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Did you put a camera in the ladies toilets?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Handsome

Was told last wednesday I was being suspended as investigation was required and told to attend a meeting the next day which I did at that meeting I asked for the reasons for the suspension was told they didnt know said I needed that in writing which I was assured I wold get but the investigation was going ahead anyway sorry new to this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Investigation into what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Handsome wrote: »
    Was told last wednesday I was being suspended as investigation was required and told to attend a meeting the next day which I did at that meeting I asked for the reasons for the suspension was told they didnt know said I needed that in writing which I was assured I wold get but the investigation was going ahead anyway sorry new to this

That’s completely daft they suspended you but they didn’t know why. What did they intend to investigate in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭bilbot79

We're you suspended for never giving enough information for your audience to have any idea what is going on?

Fell a month previously it seems they are implying it didnt happen or I did it deliberately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭t1h9mgqsxopj0r

Did you get an written or verbal warnings prior to the suspension? Legally you have to have a verbal and then written warning. Due to severity of the action then immediate suspension or closing of contract can be held but you haven’t given any information regarding to your suspension. You’ve stated that you haven’t been told in this meeting why you’re suspended and nothing was in writing. Was your contract finished? Are you on probation? Has anything happened recently? What is your attendings like? Honestly I think you have an idea of why you are suspended. You have a right to appeal your suspension regardless if you’re in the right or wrong and you have a right to question your employer. That’s the action you should take. Did you bring your own pen and paper to this meeting? Did you have a union rep or a witness with you? There’s so many questions that I’ve to asked because your post was to short and simple.

• Advertisement

Fell a month previously it seems they are implying it didnt happen or I did it deliberately

Ah I’ve just seen this post after I’ve written my post.

How bad was the fall? Did you fill out an accident report or did someone else fill out a report? Was there actions taken after you fell?

Are there cameras around where you fell? Was there people around?

Also how long have you been employed in your company? More than likely if it was short term, your employer seen it as a means to let you go so they don’t have to hold your position if you’re out for a while. It can happen as horrible as it is but you have a right to fight the suspension, if you want to stay in your company that is.

A lot of it can depends on your ability to work as well. Yes you had a fall but previous to that, how was your working ethics? Employers can be known to find anything and I mean anything to let anyone go. I’ve had people in my job get let go for the most basic of reasons and these were hard working people who just want to earn a wage to help their families life and yet my job let them go because of something simple like “they agreed to work one day and asked for a swap to work another day”. Granted their contract was their availability for 7 days but a simple swap for apointments or children’s needs doesn’t come into consideration unfortunately.

Get hospital reports as well. X-tray scams and notes. Gather all the information you can get and make sure you can replay each bit of the fall and leading up to it. Every information you can give helps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

You should seek legal advice. If it's a "your word against theirs" scenario. Did the company bring you to a doctor? X-ray? Scan? There are procedures that should be followed in the event of a workplace accident - whether the company suspects it deliberate or not.

A trip, slip and fall is a common workplace injury. There has been numerous occasions where chancers were caught out trying to make fraudulent claims. Whether an accident is genuine or suspected fraudulent your employer has a duty of care.

Legal advice and medical evidence are crucial.

Best of luck.

Was handed a letter stating I was suspended based on an incident date provided when I wasnt even in work had a rep with me that person is as confused as me over the whole thing when I asked are ye implying I fell deliberately they denied that but that is the way the conversation went by law as far as im aware they had tp give me the reasons for it also iv worked in the company over10 years had 1verbal warning in that time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Did you get an written or verbal warnings prior to the suspension? Legally you have to have a verbal and then written warning.

This is not true, you don't need to have anything on file to be suspended. As long as it's with pay and not done as a sanction, but rather an action taken to allow an investigation to take place your employer can suspend you while an investigation goes on.

Was handed a letter stating I was suspended based on an incident date provided when I wasnt even in work had a rep with me that person is as confused as me over the whole thing when I asked are ye implying I fell deliberately they denied that but that is the way the conversation went by law as far as im aware they had tp give me the reasons for it also iv worked in the company over10 years had 1verbal warning in that time

Have you proof that you weren’t roastered for this day that you weren’t in work? How long ago was your warning? If it was a long time then as far as I know warnings are only kept on file for a certain amount of time (that’s my company policy anyways) so they can’t use that to your defence in regards to the fall.

They can’t really state an incident that happened if you weren’t there. That doesn’t really make sense to be honest.

You’ve been there for 10 years. Fight your suspension. You can’t suspend someone immediately for a fall unless they have 100% they KNOW it was deliberate. Even at that, there’s not always a high chance.

TG1 wrote: »
    This is not true, you don't need to have anything on file to be suspended. As long as it's with pay and not done as a sanction, but rather an action taken to allow an investigation to take place your employer can suspend you while an investigation goes on.

I’m sure there’s some led up to a suspension or cut of contract. I thought you would need some form of warning before any action is taken. OP stated that they’ve just immediately suspended them on an incident that didn’t happen while they were in the workplace. Given if the action was something serious, more than a fall then yes immediate suspension or further is taken as far as I know but to be told that they don’t even know the actual reasons is a bit strange. Again, I’m going by my company policy so maybe OP company policy is a lot different

Advertisement