Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Works Wicklow - Wexford

Options
  • 18-10-2018 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen a large amount of works Woodenbridge to Arklow section vale road in wicklow over the last number of months. Appears to be Tree clearing right now but they are at this section over 7 months with a comms mast at one point.

Seems to be a huge amount of effort just for tree clearing. Anyone any information on what is going on. cant seem to see any works listed on the news feed site for Irish Rail

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

See my post about Gorey here: https://irishrailways.blogspot.com/2018/07/waste-piled-upon-waste-at-gorey-station.html

A huge amount of money is being poured into lineside work south of Bray - why?

There's a man in a hut at the south end of the Corballis Viaduct in Rathdrum every time that I go past. What's his purpose?

Anyway, don't worry the IE apologists will be along soon to explain the logic behind all this - waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Del.Monte wrote: »
    See my post about Gorey here: https://irishrailways.blogspot.com/2018/07/waste-piled-upon-waste-at-gorey-station.html

There's a man in a hut at the south end of the Corballis Viaduct in Rathdrum every time that I go past. What's his purpose?

Anyway, don't worry the IE apologists will be along soon to explain the logic behind all this - waste.

Was not aware of your blog, congratulations!

Your point about padding costs prior to closure, is one associated with the West Cork network, closed by the dreaded Dr Andrews, and perhaps also I think, with the Mallow to Waterford line closed 1967.

Certainly the high security fencing along the railway next tothe Slaney, south of Enniscorthy, is a shocking waste of money, as well as a blot on the landscape. Did IR get planning permission for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Lot of the works were probably due years ago and left until it became a potential issue. They wouldn't want another landslide to happen.

One thing I will agree is there fencing budget is way to big and some very questionable spends. Management should improve internal controls.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

In fairness, that was just an empty inaccessible triangular field before they tarmac’d it. Might make sense for a bus interchange though.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Huge amount of lineside work being carried out all along the Bray / Greystones link. Major amount of strengthening to the embankment and erosion areas. Also looking south from Greystones station you see the south west turn at the end of the beach being strengthened also. Massive amounts of money considering this line is not revenue earning south of Greystones ( allegedly )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

The lad in the hut is the track walker. The hut is his start/finish point.
    Nothing to do with the work mentioned in the op.

Also can you elaborate why you think the work been carried out is waste?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Huge amount of lineside work being carried out all along the Bray / Greystones link. Major amount of strengthening to the embankment and erosion areas. Also looking south from Greystones station you see the south west turn at the end of the beach being strengthened also. Massive amounts of money considering this line is not revenue earning south of Greystones ( allegedly )

Severe coastal erosion between Greystones/Wicklow.
    Probably cheaper than moving the line in land:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

What's a track walker? Someone who walks the track for safety reasons?
    How many of them are there and how often does the track need walking?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Markcheese wrote: »
    What's a track walker? Someone who walks the track for safety reasons?
    How many of them are there and how often does the track need walking?

as far as i know their job is to check for any visible defects or obstructions on the line and report them. not sure how many there are, and i'd imagine a walk is done everyday?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

The line is walked at least every 48 hours. Any defects are noted and passed on to the PW guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The line is walked at least every 48 hours. Any defects are noted and passed on to the PW guys.

At one stage there was over 20 of them on the books just to patrol Bray to Wicklow. A few of them even served out the night shift on Bray Head during Hurricane Charlie in 1987. Amazingly their trackside huts survived and with them in it.

Well, the work south of Gorey which took weeks and involved contractors with a substantial amount of equipment was utterly pointless. I'm not going to go over every single bit of work carried out but if you don't believe me take a trip down the line for yourself.

Arklow%2BFaded.jpg

Well, the work south of Gorey which took weeks and involved contractors with a substantial amount of equipment was utterly pointless. I'm not going to go over every single bit of work carried out but if you don't believe me take a trip down the line for yourself.

Arklow%2BFaded.jpg

Well if you can’t substantiate your claim just say so.
    Just because you say say something doesn’t make it so.

Why don't you explain to me the value of the work carried out at Gorey?

Why don't you explain to me the value of the work carried out at Gorey?

I’ve no idea. I don’t care one way or another.
    You are the one claiming it’s a waste of money I’m just asking you to elaborate.
    Or are you just criticizing for the sake of it.
    I get the feeling if no work was going on you’d be complaining as well.

I’ve no idea. I don’t care one way or another.
    You are the one claiming it’s a waste of money I’m just asking you to elaborate.
    Or are you just criticizing for the sake of it.
    I get the feeling if no work was going on you’d be complaining as well.

I get the feeling that you're just trolling for the sake of it. If you don't care one way or the other why bother posting in the thread? :rolleyes:

You could ask Irish Rail to explain about the works if you are that interested.

I get the feeling that you're just trolling for the sake of it. If you don't care one way or the other why bother posting in the thread? :rolleyes:

So you cant back up what you said?
    Its not up to me to prove your point.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Infraction for back seat moding but I could have giving it to you for trolling too — you know the rules!

— moderator

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    You could ask Irish Rail to explain about the works if you are that interested.

I could but to what purpose as the money is spent now.

• Advertisement

I could but to what purpose as the money is spent now.

Informed judgment?

You are right there are some questionable spends on alleged infrastructure improvements.

Cherryville Junction is a recent stand out waste of money. Installing a gate line at the new Cork station entrance another when they are not operational and never ill be, you couldn't sent a staff member over as they might get lonely during the day!

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Informed judgment?

You are right there are some questionable spends on alleged infrastructure improvements.

Cherryville Junction is a recent stand out waste of money. Installing a gate line at the new Cork station entrance another when they are not operational and never ill be, you couldn't sent a staff member over as they might get lonely during the day!

So, what has been achieved by the work south of Gorey station which is the one that I'm standing over? There's no siding going in which was my first thought, the land has been cleared for no reason - possibly to use up the budget so that's it won't be cut back in 2019.

So, what has been achieved by the work south of Gorey station which is the one that I'm standing over? There's no siding going in which was my first thought, the land has been cleared for no reason - possibly to use up the budget so that's it won't be cut back in 2019.

Vegetation control, why not ask them to give a detailed explanation and you can share it with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭listermint

These works are continuing into 2019 Woodenbridge to Arklow section. Fairly substantial heavy machinery in daily operation. Bulks of Forestry clearances and ground works.

I wonder is this a statement of increase in Freight Traffic for the line from Rosslare post Brexit.

Still cant find anything on it in Irish Rails press releases

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

listermint

Sadly I doubt it is for a post Brexit increase in Railfreight from Rosslare.

dermo888 wrote: »
    listermint

Sadly I doubt it is for a post Brexit increase in Railfreight from Rosslare.

Any particular reason ? Irish rail own rosslare. And rosslare is ramping up preparations for brexit. Read a large Irish times article on the preps last week. Didn't specifically mention rail in it. But I suppose all prep is valid ?

I could be wrong but I think a new Data Centre is been built around that area?

• Advertisement

I could be wrong but I think a new Data Centre is been built around that area?

Haven't read anything about that. Any information ?

Advertisement