Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obtaining Copy of GP Records

Options
  • 19-10-2018 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all,

I’m getting married next month to my American fiancé. Because he is in the military, I’m required to do a pre marital medical. They are asking for copies of my medical and vaccination records. I’ve managed to track down and apply for my vaccination records but I’m having trouble getting my medical records from my GP. I called and the receptionist said a lot of it is locked up in data protection. Is there anything I can request or has anyone else had this problem? I didn’t think it would be so difficult to obtain my medical records. I’ve had the same doctor from birth so it shouldn’t be as difficult as it seems, should it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

DitzyPoo92 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I’m getting married next month to my American fiancé. Because he is in the military, I’m required to do a pre marital medical. They are asking for copies of my medical and vaccination records. I’ve managed to track down and apply for my vaccination records but I’m having trouble getting my medical records from my GP. I called and the receptionist said a lot of it is locked up in data protection. Is there anything I can request or has anyone else had this problem? I didn’t think it would be so difficult to obtain my medical records. I’ve had the same doctor from birth so it shouldn’t be as difficult as it seems, should it?
    Data protection rules don't stop you getting access to your own data. Quite the reverse - it gives you explicit rights to your own data.

If you have 30 days, submit it GDPR access request.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭elainers

In my experience, GPs (or their receptionists) do not understand data protection law and how it impacts on them. You're entitled to a copy of any information they hold on you. My experience of GPs is that they think they can only hand over your info to another doctor which is incorrect. They can charge you for printing but they have to give you your files. Probably time to make them aware of that - refer them to the Data Protection Commissioner's website if they don't believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DitzyPoo92

Data protection rules don't stop you getting access to your own data. Quite the reverse - it gives you explicit rights to your own data.

If you have 30 days, submit it GDPR access request.

Would I send this letter directly to my GP? And would I include a copy of my passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Making-an-Access-Request/1715.htm

It might save time to include the passport up front.

Advertisement