Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hydrogen powered trains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

loyatemu wrote: »
    Germany launches world's first hydrogen-powered train

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/sep/17/germany-launches-worlds-first-hydrogen-powered-train

Worth considering as an alternative to the bi-mode trains Irish Rail currently seem keen on?

Not worth even discussing as CIE haven't done innovation since Bulleid https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Bulleid left Inchicore - just order more smelly, noisy, polluting DMUs instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Would that not be just replacing the diesel part of a diesel electric with hydrogen?
    What's the big advantage if your not going operatting a metro.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Markcheese wrote: »
    Would that not be just replacing the diesel part of a diesel electric with hydrogen?
    What's the big advantage if your not going operatting a metro.

less pollution? However I'm not sure how polluting the production of Hydrogen gas is.

On a related note - Irish Rail are going to have to do something eventually about the diesel fumes being emitted into their station sheds by idling trains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

less pollution? However I'm not sure how polluting the production of Hydrogen gas is.

On a related note - Irish Rail are going to have to do something eventually about the diesel fumes being emitted into their station sheds by idling trains.

This has been going on since the first diesels arrived in the 1950s - why do you think that CIE is going to do something now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

They've been shutting down DMU's at stations this long time now.

• Advertisement

They've been shutting down DMU's at stations this long time now.

not in Connolly, there are idling DMUs there every time I go through
    This has been going on since the first diesels arrived in the 1950s - why do you think that CIE is going to do something now?

there's more awareness of the dangers of diesel emissions now than there was in the 1950s. I'd expect they'll eventually be forced into action by environmental or workplace safety legislation.

https://www.railway-technology.com/features/featurethe-big-stink-how-much-do-trains-really-emit-4807131/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

A good diesel electric should be able to be optimised to produce as little nox as possible, (not sure about particulate), admittedly in covered stations like Connolly ect they'd have to do an equivalent of Stárt stop to cut fumes...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

more info here: https://www.alstom.com/coradia-ilint-worlds-1st-hydrogen-powered-train

should be quieter than diesel units too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

you can make it using excess wind or hydro energy which is part of the hype around the fuel, not to mention that the only by product of it is water so it doesn't cause pollution in cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

When ya burn Hydrogen [H + O2] ya get H2O...very wet but clean.
    Problem is it has to be "made" and is very very flammable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Irish rail are doing something with a couple of their 22 sets which will reduce fuel cost by around 30% and make them quieter. with if after a successful trial they will order 2 more.. I'm not sure of the specifics but they will be like hybrid trains with some box attached for the conversion.
    Made in Germany i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Irish rail are doing something with a couple of their 22 sets which will reduce fuel cost by around 30% and make them quieter. with if after a successful trial they will order 2 more.. I'm not sure of the specifics but they will be like hybrid trains with some box attached for the conversion.
    Made in Germany i think.

New transmissions and conversion to diesel/battery hybrids. Three sets will become hybrids, if successful the entire fleet will be converted.

GM228 wrote: »
    New transmissions and conversion to diesel/battery hybrids. Three sets will become hybrids, if successful the entire fleet will be converted.

Rolls Royce :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Made in Germany i think.

We all these savings they might tender for a new TMS system and ensure there is a capable reservation system included and clear instructions for drivers to operate instead of wiping the system when they arrive at the train pre departure and stick there key in. I didn't think staff causing the issue was a big thing but 7 of 8 journeys recently have been down to this and not the system.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    We all these savings they might tender for a new TMS system and ensure there is a capable reservation system included and clear instructions for drivers to operate instead of wiping the system when they arrive at the train pre departure and stick there key in. I didn't think staff causing the issue was a big thing but 7 of 8 journeys recently have been down to this and not the system.

It's either a WiFi issue or a problem with the set. The staff don't cause the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Germany launches world's first hydrogen-powered train

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/sep/17/germany-launches-worlds-first-hydrogen-powered-train

Worth considering as an alternative to the bi-mode trains Irish Rail currently seem keen on?

I seriously doubt it will result in Irish Rail reducing fares, however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,175 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

fxotoole wrote: »
    I seriously doubt it will result in Irish Rail reducing fares, however

why would it.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

It's either a WiFi issue or a problem with the set. The staff don't cause the issue.

Yes they do and they have confined it to me. All you need to do is take a train to Killarney or Kilkenny and in some cases as soon as the driver switches ends the reservations disappear and have to re-load from the start which takes typically up to 1 hour. Driver arrives 15-20 minutes before departure and they regularly disappear in fact its happened for the last 3 weeks on the 5 car sets. I was one of the first few to board the 18.35 over the last two Fridays and by the time I put my bag up the reservations just disappeared before returning 45 minutes later. The Friday before that just 3 reservations on the whole train and the wrong ones at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

:D:D:D CIE doing something innovative!!!!!!!!!! ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahah (deep breath....) ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

This is the company that refused, originally, to introduce wifi using the excuse that they'd have to update it every few years, the company whos staff went on strike over the burden of a new train that's more pleasant to drive...

This is a company running to standards of the early 1990s compared to the rest of western europe, on a good day.

If they did decide to go for something like this, in true Irish fashon, this is how it would play out:

1. Minister announces it with much fanfare, lots of glossy media backgrounds and graphics that they paid some firm the ministers cousin owns 100k to develop

2. Minister does not (like the recent education plan, the education plan from 2012, and the SlainteCare plan) actually bother to ask Finance for any actual funding to be set aside to make it happen

3. Local residents are OUTRAGED over the prospect of these noisy new Hydrogen trains. Yeh I know, but some councilor will tell them they will be.
    TDx says we should be spending this money on de peeple de ardinry deecent peeple not fancy new trains, meanwhile the two Greens are very excited about the exact type of project they never bothered pushing during their one and only time in government where they worried about fur farms and light bulbs rather than useful stuff like this

4. The plan is forgotten about until after the next election

5. The plan is re-announced (Irish govts do love to re announce transport projects, it's practically a national tradition) only now instead of the Hydrogen Train it's the TOTALLY DIFFERENT "hydro-link", all previous plans are ripped up and started from scratch. New glossy backgrounds and graphics and videos on the TII and TFI and IE websites, another cousin makes 100k. No funding announced.

6. The plan is forgotten about until after the next election...lather...rinse...repeat....

Yes they do and they have confined it to me. All you need to do is take a train to Killarney or Kilkenny and in some cases as soon as the driver switches ends the reservations disappear and have to re-load from the start which takes typically up to 1 hour. Driver arrives 15-20 minutes before departure and they regularly disappear in fact its happened for the last 3 weeks on the 5 car sets. I was one of the first few to board the 18.35 over the last two Fridays and by the time I put my bag up the reservations just disappeared before returning 45 minutes later. The Friday before that just 3 reservations on the whole train and the wrong ones at that.

Once the train id is put in then the names should pop up. Changing ends in killarney and Kilkenny wouldn't make a difference unless the train shuts down and doesn't pick up the reservations on the restart.. It's still not a staff error. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

why would it.

Abundant and more readily available than the finite resource that is diesel

Once the train id is put in then the names should pop up. Changing ends in killarney and Kilkenny wouldn't make a difference unless the train shuts down and doesn't pick up the reservations on the restart.. It's still not a staff error. .

I am telling you, drivers who switch ends or arrive at the train (some) end up messing up the system. The system works well apart from before departure in many cases. Now your not going to suggest the TMS just wipes the data all of a sudden.

They have told me there is an operational element to the problem as well as other technical problems.

I am telling you, drivers who switch ends or arrive at the train (some) end up messing up the system. The system works well apart from before departure in many cases. Now your not going to suggest the TMS just wipes the data all of a sudden.

They have told me there is an operational element to the problem as well as other technical problems.

I've told you, it's not staff error.

I've told you, it's not staff error.

Staff error is part of the problem.

Staff error is part of the problem.

As much as you want to believe that it is, it's not. Its a technical issue.

As much as you want to believe that it is, it's not. Its a technical issue.

The info is directly from your employer.

The info is directly from your employer.

That's just management passing the blame then and it's still wrong. You just need to listen to those involved with it on the ground.

Advertisement