Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

05-03-2015, 16:36   #1
Ktec: Stephen
Verified representative

Talk to Ktec Telescopes

HI all,

Post any questions you may have about astronomy, or astronomy related equipment in here.

Looking for a beginner scope for the younger member of the family?
Looking to replace your current scope with something bigger or better?
Looking for advice on accessories, eyepieces or cameras?

Then ask in here, and we will do our utmost to look after you

Stephen.
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-03-2015, 00:30   #2
shedweller

Great stuff!
So, i recently bought a secondhand bresser r-102 and have had two or three clear nights with it so far. Its on a mon2 mount which i believe is the same as an eq4 or eq5 so im happy with that for sure. But the eyepieces leave a bit to be desired. Apparently they are a kellner design and this is a poor design, or so they say! I have to agree in fairness. Off axis stars are poorly resolved. I would like to know what kind of eyepieces to upgrade to. Bearing in mind this is a 100mm refractor so i wont be able to do much deep sky stuff. That said, there may be a chance to see, for example, Andromeda. I already have looked at it and it is barely better resolved than with my celestron 20x80 binos.
So, i'm looking at planetary viewing with this scope and need one or two good planetary eyepieces to go with my telescope. I am hankering to get a largeish reflector in the next year for the light bucket effect so it would be a major bonus if the same eyepieces would be ok. Maybe a few wider eyepieces along with a barlow would cover both?
Obviously i would love a set of baaders finest but i couldnt justify that! But i would love eyepieces that would get the most from the bresser r102 in terms of wide field brightness and also bring in the planets as best as possible. I understand it may not be possible hence the long term plan to get a large newtonian etc.
Thanks from:
10-03-2015, 00:49   #3
shedweller

Oh and i forgot to mention that my scope can take 2" eyepieces. I have read that they work better as low power eyepieces. Kind of makes sense to me. So maybe a 2" eyepiece for wide views and a 1.25" for everything else?? Maybe not! Point me in the right direction!
10-03-2015, 00:52   #4
endacl

Andromeda is big! You're binocs arethe better option for that particular target.
(2) thanks from:
10-03-2015, 01:02   #5
shedweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by endacl View Post
Andromeda is big! You're binocs arethe better option for that particular target.
Well...maybe they are! Feck! We're gonna need more glass!
Advertisement
10-03-2015, 08:44   #6
the_monkey

Hi Stephen, have you a bricks + mortar store ?
I will be home in Ireland for easter and I'd like to call out and have a chat ..
Thanks from:
10-03-2015, 10:36   #7
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedweller View Post
Great stuff!
So, i recently bought a secondhand bresser r-102 and have had two or three clear nights with it so far. Its on a mon2 mount which i believe is the same as an eq4 or eq5 so im happy with that for sure. But the eyepieces leave a bit to be desired. Apparently they are a kellner design and this is a poor design, or so they say! I have to agree in fairness. Off axis stars are poorly resolved. I would like to know what kind of eyepieces to upgrade to. Bearing in mind this is a 100mm refractor so i wont be able to do much deep sky stuff. That said, there may be a chance to see, for example, Andromeda. I already have looked at it and it is barely better resolved than with my celestron 20x80 binos.
So, i'm looking at planetary viewing with this scope and need one or two good planetary eyepieces to go with my telescope. I am hankering to get a largeish reflector in the next year for the light bucket effect so it would be a major bonus if the same eyepieces would be ok. Maybe a few wider eyepieces along with a barlow would cover both?
Obviously i would love a set of baaders finest but i couldnt justify that! But i would love eyepieces that would get the most from the bresser r102 in terms of wide field brightness and also bring in the planets as best as possible. I understand it may not be possible hence the long term plan to get a large newtonian etc.

Thanks for posting
We are getting a great reception to the Skywatcher Planetary 58°, especially in 5mm and 6mm, for getting in close to Planets. A good step up from Plossls too. And very well constructed.

http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Skywatc...ece-Range.html

For the wider field views, its really down to budget, and moving up to 2". Pretty much anything on the site is worth getting! The new Skywatcher Dual Fit SWA Range is very good. Its Dual 1.25" and 2" for the smaller sizes

For the larger size its only available in 2" eyepiece size

If you wanted to bring budget down a bit, I have these 2" Eyepieces

www.ktectelescopes.ie/Skywatcher-28mm-2-LET-Long-Eye-Relief-Eyepiece.html

Bar the 5mm/6mm Planetary, which are due on Friday, everything else, in all ranges, is in stock ready to ship

Stephen.
Thanks from:
10-03-2015, 10:37   #8
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_monkey View Post
Hi Stephen, have you a bricks + mortar store ?
I will be home in Ireland for easter and I'd like to call out and have a chat ..

Hi,

Not yet

But that woudnt stop me from meeting up for a chat about all things astronomy, and see how we can help you

Stephen.
Thanks from:
11-03-2015, 14:11   #9
shedweller

I was looking at your solar filters. The front of my telescope measures 125mm outside diameter. You have a filter called SF500 and it fits telescopes up to 124mm. My question is: is the filter inside diameter 124mm or a leeetle bit more??! The next size up (sf575 minimum size 137mm) from that is big and i'd end up machining a 6mm ring to fit it. Now i like machining yokes but if i could get a filter to fit exactly that would be more enjoyable!
Advertisement
11-03-2015, 16:28   #10
Verified representative

Quote:
I was looking at your solar filters. The front of my telescope measures 125mm outside diameter. You have a filter called SF500 and it fits telescopes up to 124mm. My question is: is the filter inside diameter 124mm or a leeetle bit more??! The next size up (sf575 minimum size 137mm) from that is big and i'd end up machining a 6mm ring to fit it. Now i like machining yokes but if i could get a filter to fit exactly that would be more enjoyable!
Ill measure the exact diameter and get back to you

Edit - its exactly 127mm, inside to inside.
Both the SF500 and SF500P1.

Stephen.

Last edited by Ktec: Stephen; 11-03-2015 at 17:45. Reason: updating info
Thanks from:
11-03-2015, 17:47   #11
endacl

How interested in 'fiddly little fecky bit' business are you interested in? I've a broken grub screw (finder scope adjustment) that was broken when my scope got chucked about in a break in some time ago. Having no luck whatsoever sourcing a replacement from Meade. Although I am impressed with the robustness of their OTAs! Not only did the mirror survive, it didn't even need tuning/collimation after the ordeal. Well built...
Thanks from:
11-03-2015, 18:09   #12
shedweller

Quote:
How interested in 'fiddly little fecky bit' business are you interested in? I've a broken grub screw (finder scope adjustment) that was broken when my scope got chucked about in a break in some time ago. Having no luck whatsoever sourcing a replacement from Meade. Although I am impressed with the robustness of their OTAs! Not only did the mirror survive, it didn't even need tuning/collimation after the ordeal. Well built...
Well feck! Did just the screw break/bend or did the threaded hole get damaged as well? A bent screw would be an easy fix but the hole could need a clean out with a tap. Maybe even irrepairable. Quick and easy solution would be to drill and tap a new hole right beside the damaged hole.
Got pics? Sorry, derailing thread now...
Thanks from:
11-03-2015, 19:34   #13
endacl

Quote:
Well feck! Did just the screw break/bend or did the threaded hole get damaged as well? A bent screw would be an easy fix but the hole could need a clean out with a tap. Maybe even irrepairable. Quick and easy solution would be to drill and tap a new hole right beside the damaged hole.
Got pics? Sorry, derailing thread now...
Nah. Just a broken screw! Threads are grand.
11-03-2015, 20:05   #14
shedweller

Quote:
Nah. Just a broken screw! Threads are grand.
Ah you'll be grand so. Remove the screw and replace with something similar. Round the tip of it a little so it wont damage the scope as much.
Lovely skies tonight btw. Just watched two of jupiters moons pass each other in the space of a few minutes. My son saw it too which was cool!
Sorry for the thread derailment. I'll stop now!
Thanks from:
11-03-2015, 20:36   #15
endacl

It's a nerdy topic. I dont think 'derailment', as it is commonly understood, applies here.

(2) thanks from:
Forum Closed