Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gallary Quay

Options
  • 31-08-2020 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I was looking at an apartment in Gallary Quay, Grand Canal Dock. After looking around, I found that the building has some water ingress issue. Also someone mentioned that you cant get a mortgage for any property like this.

Is this true? Searching on the net I can find anything recent about this building.

Anyone here owns an apartment in that building?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Wotsdastory

Hi I lived there for 7 years and still own an apartment there, its a great building and area. There was and is a water ingress issue with the building. Some apartments were affected badly and others not at all. The issue has been inspected by quantity surveyors thoroughly and is slowly being progressed. The comfort I take is that its been inspected so much and problems are fixable and we are aware of them. Where about's are you looking? you should as for a report on the extent of the problem in the one you are looking for. Most responsible owners would have commissioned one.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rks

Thanks for that.

I have looked an apartment in that particular building. The property agent mentioned this. There was a sale agreed on that apartment before but it fell through, the bank declined the mortgage due to the issues.

He did say that there's some sort of document that other buyer found out. He was going to forward it to me but never did.

Due to lack of any other details about the apartment and the issues mentioned, I wasnt following much on this.

Do you think the seller will have a report about this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Wotsdastory

rks wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I have looked an apartment in that particular building. The property agent mentioned this. There was a sale agreed on that apartment before but it fell through, the bank declined the mortgage due to the issues.

He did say that there's some sort of document that other buyer found out. He was going to forward it to me but never did.

Due to lack of any other details about the apartment and the issues mentioned, I wasnt following much on this.

Do you think the seller will have a report about this problem?

No worries, I got one done and I believe a lot of other people did too. It was a nominal fee of around 250 or 300 euros from Scott Murphy Building Surveyors. I think he was the name used for all the inspections and is familiar with the problem. Thankfully ours didn’t turn up much and the tenants we have had have been living there with no issues for years. Some people’s apartments the damage was very obvious and visible damp etc from what I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rks

I will try to find if there was any survey done for the apartment I was looking for.

Couple of old articles put me a bit off. Your information is more accurate since you own an apartment there.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0217/504953-gallery-quay/

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/concerns-at-apartment-block-as-building-defects-uncovered-30035568.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1 estwzzx

Hi I lived there for 7 years and still own an apartment there, its a great building and area. There was and is a water ingress issue with the building. Some apartments were affected badly and others not at all. The issue has been inspected by quantity surveyors thoroughly and is slowly being progressed. The comfort I take is that its been inspected so much and problems are fixable and we are aware of them. Where about's are you looking? you should as for a report on the extent of the problem in the one you are looking for. Most responsible owners would have commissioned one.

Thanks for the info here!! super helpful! I'm also looking at a Block 11 1-bed apartment now. Do you know how much each household needs to pay as per the current estimate to get it fixed for good? Or will it be all covered by the insurance? Thank you!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement