Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blurams Video Doorbell - Reasonable Nest Alternative?

Options
  • 03-12-2020 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I've been meaning to get a video doorbell for a while. Being full entrenched in the Google ecosystem it'd have to be Nest or a decent alternative. The high cost of the Nest and the cost of getting it installed has put me off somewhat. I came across the below a few weeks ago and it looks promising. The only real negative for me is that it seems to be cloud storage only with no option for storing video on a micro-SD card.
    It works with the Nest Hub/Hub Max which is ace and it supports IFTTT so it can be set to turn on a Hue bulb if someone rings the bell.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/blurams-always-ready-ai-fueled-smart-doorbell#/

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

Does look like cloud only and they are presumably a startup since crowd funding, I'd be worried about their longevity, you could end up with a bricked device in a few years

Also not clear if the lifetime pricing offers of 7 + 30 day upgrades are for early backers only and when they launch subsequent customers will be monthly/annual subs for those or if lifetime subs are their ongoing model. I would be more comfortable they have sustainable business model if they had recurring revenue to pay for the cloud service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

dam099 wrote: »
    Does look like cloud only and they are presumably a startup since crowd funding, I'd be worried about their longevity, you could end up with a bricked device in a few years

Also not clear if the lifetime pricing offers of 7 + 30 day upgrades are for early backers only and when they launch subsequent customers will be monthly/annual subs for those or if lifetime subs are their ongoing model. I would be more comfortable they have sustainable business model if they had recurring revenue to pay for the cloud service.

I had been thinking about the fact they might not be well funded. On the other hand I was thinking for less than €99 if I got the promised level of functionality out of it for a few years I'd be fairly happy with that. By that time there might be some better long term options on the market.

I'd be fairly happy with 7 days back-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

Installed a Eufy 2K battery (Wireless and wired is possible) myself this week from a Black Friday deal after a suggestion from another boards user. Storage is local and not cloud based. So far works great but it does have limitations on what integration it has with other systems - doesn't look like IFTTT and Google Home are compatible from the forums.

I use it as a stand alone with just an echo Dot as an additional chime

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

Darando wrote: »
    Installed a Eufy 2K battery (Wireless and wired is possible) myself this week from a Black Friday deal after a suggestion from another boards user. Storage is local and not cloud based. So far works great but it does have limitations on what integration it has with other systems - doesn't look like IFTTT and Google Home are compatible from the forums.

I use it as a stand alone with just an echo Dot as an additional chime
    No iftt as of yet anyway. Google home functionality is limited to displaying the video feed on a screen, can't even get a notification / sound other than via the eufy app

Advertisement