Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The little gap left at door when fitting laminate flooring.

Options
  • 16-11-2019 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭

1573915245270387202318579887524.jpg

Anyway to make this look better? Can caulk be used here? I know the best thing is to cut under the frame like I've done for the architrave(spelling?) but this floor was a bitch to get together and it needed an angle so didn't think I could get it together. I've cut it tighter around most doors bit this was an odd one with a weird angle and strange floorboards on the other side messing with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

If it were me I would probably try to fit a tiny sliver of the laminate in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

If it were me I would probably try to fit a tiny sliver of the laminate in there.
    not a bad idea. The only thing I'd worry about is if it's tight is that the wood rub when walked on and creak.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

You could fit a strip of cork there. It would have some give to allow for expansion and also have a similar finish to the flooring. It’s a bit fiddly to get it in neatly though.

You could fit a strip of cork there. It would have some give to allow for expansion and also have a similar finish to the flooring. It’s a bit fiddly to get it in neatly though.

This stuff? Vitrex Cork Expansion Strips 18 Pack 6257H https://g.co/kgs/ETyDNr

For that door I'll try a bit of that. But the other doors the gap is like 1 mm would a sealant like caulk or white silicon work, like would it be flexible enough?

15739193164631344067679231390621.jpg like the other side of that door here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Tbh anything you put in that changes the black hole appearance will be fine.
    You can get caulk in all sorts of colours... I'd just go with that and move on if it was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Presumably from your pic all the doors and skirts are white, a bit of white silicone would probably not be noticed.(done neatly)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

+1 for silicon; it will be fine. It's really just to take the eye off it.

Think I'll do the sliver of laminate in the big crack and silicon after and then silicon the rest. Thanks lads. It's hall stairs and landing so loads of frames:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dodzy wrote: »
    +1 for silicon; it will be fine. It's really just to take the eye off it.

Caulk , not silicon

Caulk is better there easier to work with sandable don't use silicon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

I personally wouldn't. The laminate needs room to breathe and expand.

I would personally get a small bit of beading and attach it to the wall/skirting to cover it

15739991510527130777364126687927.jpg used caulk as that's what I had although if I had silicon I probably would of preferred to use that as it would flex better I think. Looks much better. I ended up using a whole tube of caulk cause I could see all the gaps in the door frame once I started looking. I really should of sanded the end of that frame first it's in bits.

I would personally get a small bit of beading and attach it to the wall/skirting to cover it

I've got the skirting nice and tight to the floor I even went as far as sanding a curve in one spot because it was uneven it's only at the doors I've an issue and you can't really use beading their. The expansion in laminate is minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Would you consider cutting back the bottom of the door frame and put the laminate under? I've done that before using a tenon saw flat on the floor and it looks good. Might not be possible if you've the rest of the floor down.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Would you consider cutting back the bottom of the door frame and put the laminate under? I've done that before using a tenon saw flat on the floor and it looks good. Might not be possible if you've the rest of the floor down.
    Floor is finished now. I did consider it but it was very thick laminate and needed to go together at an angle so sliding under the frame wasn't really an option. Well I could of cut off the locking tab with a blade and used glue but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get the boards as tight together, plus it's a stress point at the door anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If your laminate I'd expanding that much you've a water problem. It's not like solid timber floors.

This is a small section of doorway. Quite literally no issue will come of caulk.

It should have been cut under but here we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

iamtony wrote: »
    Floor is finished now. I did consider it but it was very thick laminate and needed to go together at an angle so sliding under the frame wasn't really an option. Well I could of cut off the locking tab with a blade and used glue but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get the boards as tight together, plus it's a stress point at the door anyway.

You just shave off the protrusion of the receiving piece, lay the new piece in, then tap tap to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

In one of the first floors I put down I had this issue and fixed with what I had lying about in the shed.
    I used some of the expanding foam to fill the gap, very sharp blade to cut flush with floor.
    Then mixed a bit of wood filler with a paint colour to match the floor surface and coated the foam with the concoction and sanded flush. Final layer with a bit of varnish and it gave a better look than using the beading.
    If I was doing it now I'd cut the bottom off door frames and slide the floor under.

Advertisement