Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you allow opposite sex cousins to share a bed with your child?

Options
  • 16-10-2019 6:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

One of my male friends who is 18had a female cousin over from the States two weeks ago and his parents allowed them to share a bed as they only have two bedrooms, one for the parents and one for the kid.

I told my parents about this and they think it's shocking that his parents allowed that and that they wouldn't have ever let me share a bed with anyone of the opposite sex even overage. I'm in my 20s but perplexed but this attitude. What is the issue with it? We aren't talking about boyfriend/girlfriend but merely a family member sharing the same bed.

My parents are African so quite conservative and for them it's the gender that bothers them but that seems a bit...sexist. What if someone was gay, are they banned from sharing beds with male cousins as well? Because they're implying something sexual even if they insist that it's not.

Or maybe I'm wrong and most of you would agree with them. Which is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

One of my male friends who is 18had a female cousin over from the States two weeks ago and his parents allowed them to share a bed as they only have two bedrooms, one for the parents and one for the kid.

I told my parents about this and they think it's shocking that his parents allowed that and that they wouldn't have ever let me share a bed with anyone of the opposite sex even overage. I'm in my 20s but perplexed but this attitude. What is the issue with it? We aren't talking about boyfriend/girlfriend but merely a family member sharing the same bed.

My parents are African so quite conservative and for them it's the gender that bothers them but that seems a bit...sexist. What if someone was gay, are they banned from sharing beds with male cousins as well? Because they're implying something sexual even if they insist that it's not.

Or maybe I'm wrong and most of you would agree with them. Which is it?

Without disrespecting your parents too much, it seems like a silly view point in my opinion. I don't see the issue in sharing a bed of needs must. The fact that the people in question are over 18 and can make their own decisions on what they are comfortable or not in doing makes the view even sillier.
    I'm not sure what adding Sexual orientation to the equation adds to the issue. I guess it depends on what precisely is your parents issue with the situation and their views.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Can't 1st cousins marry?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MondayBlues

You really post the most weird threads on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Mmm i must say I kinda agree with your parents. I was just thinking there off all the times we slept like in Nans and that growing up and well you would share the bed with your female cousins or aunts but never male cousins... This was just as kids to be honest id kinda find it weider being older sharing the bed. Like why didnt one cousin take the bed and the other the floor or something

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Just because someone disagreed with someone's parents, doesn't make it fit here. This topic isn't a parenting forum issue.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement