Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to the US after green card has expired ?

Options
  • 26-05-2016 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭

Once upon a time I lived in the US as a resident alien aka green card holder.

I left the US and moved home and from then on the US was no longer my primary residence.

The green card expiry date came and went and I did nothing to try and renew it or anything.

Is there anyway that I could now legally petition the US to "revive" the green card ?

Has anyone done this or know of anyone who has.

Its more of a curiosity right now than anything else, if things went badly here for myself and my family its an option I'd like to look into

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Once you have lived outside the US for a period of time (taken to be around 6 months), you are deemed to have abandoned your status.

I'm not sure if there are options to revive it, I suspect there isn't, but it's probably something to consult with an immigration attorney about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You can only renew a green card if you are a Permanent Resident of the United States. You can not renew it, on the off chance that you might like to return there some day. You have to be actually living there to renew it. Once you have been out of the country for a year, you are no longer considered to be a permanent resident & you lose your PR status.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Once you have lived outside the US for a period of time (taken to be around 6 months), you are deemed to have abandoned your status.
    More like 12 months according to USCIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭wearyexplorer

You'll unfortunately have to start again from scratch to my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ThaiGer

What if said person was a veteran of the US armed services?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hi, OP here 3+ years on.

I looked into it somewhat but to not a great degree.

It's called abandonment of residency.

You can apply for a green card back after you have abandoned your residency but you have to convince them that you did not really plan to stay away, kept ties with the US etc etc.

Google it, there is a form you have to fill and a form you have to submit.

Give it a go, might be easier than it's made out to be.

Advertisement