Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your child did/said that made you smile today.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I know, I feel very bittersweet about it.I know what lies ahead.Don't want to burst their bubbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

scarepanda wrote: »
    My eldest does that as well, she demands family hugs quite often. She's just gone 3 and started doing it I think about a year ago. She'd always tell us she loved us, but now her little sister comes first and they us, melt my heart every time and I never turn down the family hug

Our twice daily routine (in the morning when leaving to go to work, and at night before she goes to sleep) is that she gives us both a kiss, a hug, and we say "happy". She always makes my wife and I also give each other a kiss and hug too as part of this routine. It's so routine to us at this point but every now and then it kinda catches you that one day it'll pass, and that will be it, so I enjoy it every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

My boy (2 at end of September) is starting to be a bit wriggly and not really a fan of getting into the car seat. Usually involves a bit of conversation and reasoning when we are leaving nursery on the way home in the evening.
    I told him that if we don't sit in our seats with our belts on that the police will take daddys car and then we wont be happy, so he thinks about it a few seconds and eventually gets into seat and agrees.
    On the drive home multiple time he told me that the "post man will take daddys car, no happy"

I think I have really confused him now as about a month ago we had a very indepth conversation about the Postman and what he was doing pushing a post cart around the neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Myself and my five-year-old were passing the tills in IKEA, two men were buying a large palm plant. My son roars at the top of his voice, "Wow look at that paawwwwwm tree! Now that's what I call a paawwwwwm tree!"

I don't know why it was so funny but it really was, the guys were pissing themselves laughing at him too. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Our 8 year old went to bed about 8pm last night, we could here her getting up around 9pm, so shouted up what she was doing up

"I can't sleep and looking for a bitta craic, can I sit with you's"

we burst out laughing and gave her ten minutes on the couch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Small man was off school on a sick day today But still jumped up off the sofa to do his homework when his big brother came in & was doing his. His homework consists mainly of speech & language work at the moment due to his needs but he's so enthusiastic to do it it's both heart warming & heart breaking at the same time. Anyway it was a smile moment :-D
    As was being told to shsh the other day - it's a sound he's working on & he just popped out with it the other day watching TV. We're so not used to him 'telling' us stuff it took us a few goes to figure out he was giving out to us & he was very firmly telling us to be quiet. First time he really implemented his new sounds in a real life manner as opposed to SLT practice so another big smile moment

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

7year old is trying to get her head around funerals, coffins and cremations, lying in the bed last week chatting she asks me will I be in a coffin.
    "No, I want to be cremated and my ashes scattered at sea"

"Can I mind them Dad?"

I dunno maybe it's me but that's probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Saysay19

I’m 7 months pregnant and I got the flu jab today. My arm is very sore. I was bringing my 6 year old son to bed earlier and hit off the door and winced. Son asked what was wrong and I explained about the vaccine.

He had to investigate it then follow by kisses and a very light arm rub. Then a kiss for bump.

Also it’s getting harder for me to bend down to kiss him goodnight in bed so earlier he was standing up on his bed and I asked him why.

He said that I’m really sick and sore he’d meet me half way. <3

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

had to post

Not my kid but my niece is 10 in 5th class and struggles with her group, she's been left out of bday parties, laughed at for not having the latest gear/watching the right TV shows/not going to the same sports etc

Apparently recently in school, teacher heard 2 of the girls berating her over her PE runners and took the 2 up to her desk to have a chat. A boy in class heard what the teacher was telling them about not being mean, and came up to niece at gate after school to tell her not to listen to the girls and 'those guys are really embarrassing themselves' by being mean :D:D

My brother said she never came home so happy in weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

had to post

Not my kid but my niece is 10 in 5th class and struggles with her group, she's been left out of bday parties, laughed at for not having the latest gear/watching the right TV shows/not going to the same sports etc

Apparently recently in school, teacher heard 2 of the girls berating her over her PE runners and took the 2 up to her desk to have a chat. A boy in class heard what the teacher was telling them about not being mean, and came up to niece at gate after school to tell her not to listen to the girls and 'those guys are really embarrassing themselves' by being mean :D:D

My brother said she never came home so happy in weeks
    its good that she is happy and i dont want to derail this lovely thread but for what its worth your niece is too young for her class and that is probably where her problems are coming from. her parents should keep her back next year, in fact they should have done it long before now, there are plenty of 10 year olds in 3rd class let alone 5th class.
    this is going to keep happening in secondary school as well, she will be much younger than most if not all of her classmates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

farmchoice wrote: »
    its good that she is happy and i dont want to derail this lovely thread but for what its worth your niece is too young for her class and that is probably where her problems are coming from. her parents should keep her back next year, in fact they should have done it long before now, there are plenty of 10 year olds in 3rd class let alone 5th class.
    this is going to keep happening in secondary school as well, she will be much younger than most if not all of her classmates.

Don't want to derail the thread either but no way are there plenty of 10 year olds in third class.

At this moment in time - October, two months into the start of the school year - typically half the kids in fifth class are ten and half the kids in fifth class are eleven. The oldest would typically turn eleven around May of fourth class, the youngest would typically turn eleven around May of fifth class.

Half the kids in third class are 9 and half of them are 8.

The issue this girl has is that the girls in her class behaving badly, as are their parents. its one thing for children to exclude her, its quite another to be excluded from parties. That ultimately is a parental situation. No way (as a parent) would I tolerate a situation where a child is saying -I'm inviting all the girls except that one and that one. Its sounds like there is something wrong going on here. Of course there is more detail and that's for your sister to work out, but on what you've said, I wouldn't be a bit impressed with that carry on.

On the flip side, its wonderful when kids show empathy like the boy did in that situation. Particularly when its a gang type situation, and peer pressure would suggest that you don't want to be associating with the weak person or the target.

If I were her - I would say to that boy, without being flowery about it - I was feeling very low after what those girls did, and what you said to me really cheered me up and made feel better, and thank you very much for the help you gave me.

If he was brave enough to say it, maybe she would be too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Anyone who starts school before their 5th birthday will be 10 going into 5th class. Not unusual at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

I'd be tempted to praise the wee boy myself and say thank you if you bump into him- and tellbhis patents what a fantastic young man they are raising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Tombo2001 wrote: »

If I were her - I would say to that boy, without being flowery about it - I was feeling very low after what those girls did, and what you said to me really cheered me up and made feel better, and thank you very much for the help you gave me.

If he was brave enough to say it, maybe she would be too.
    I agree with everything you say up until that point. What you said it just too mature for a 10 year old to come out with. Plus the moment has passed. I'm sure the boy knew his words hit home when the niece went off happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ghetofarmulous

16 month old girl trying to rip her socks off in the back seat of the car repeatedly saying Sh!t because they won’t come off

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Asked my 3.5 year old son what he saw on Saturday. "Broken planes and broken engines" - he had been to the RAF museum in Cosford with his dad and brother!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

In preparation for this evening I made two types of rice krispie buns. I've had 48 trick or treaters calling so far. My favourite was a shy 2-year-old (if even that) who came along with four other slightly older children. He didn't say a word to me when I opened the door, he didn't make a sound when he chose his treat. But as the door was closing, he shouted in his very happy baby voice, "I GOT CAKE!!!". :D:D:D:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Son coming first in his kickboxing comp.So proud of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Our 4 year old boy in the car with us and a large flock of birds passed by us down near sutton cross. I said "look at the flock of birds" and he replied what's a "**** of birds dada?"

Didn't know where to look

Sitting on the bus, having the chats with my 5 year old son, and out of nowhere he looks at me and goes, pure seriously, "Mom, I would never poke you in the eye so hard that it falls out. Even if you were really mean to me, I'd never do it."

Err thanks son ... I think ... :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Hannah Bagrich

Grandfather was taking my daughter to the new supermarket for the first time. They got lost a little bit and arrived later. When they came back from this "trip", grandmother asked my daughter how her trip was, and she said, ‘We met a lot of people named Dick.'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

2 kids love the Mama Mia film as they love the singing and dancing. We watched it again for their movie night on Saturday.

When I was putting my 5 year old to bed last night he asked me 'Dad, what is a slut?'

I said 'where did you hear that word?'

'In MamaMia'

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

"I'm sure you misheard, my child. They said "slug"..." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Goodigal

My two sons jumping around in pjs last night when they should have been in bed. Youngest guy 8 asks the older one 11, 'Who's your wingman?!' And was only delighted when awarded the title. Made me laugh!

We were going into a cafe, and there was a Santa decoration with a big Welcome sign at the door. My son is only learning to read, and he's very proud of himself when he can read things when we're out and about. So he yells at the top of his voice, "LOOK MOM, they have a sign here to make us feel WELCOME! Do you feel WELCOME here? Because I sure do!"

He had all the staff and customers in bits laughing at us, it was so cute though. :o

"Mommy your legs are soooo spiky ... like a cactus!"

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

Got a call from my "Little Boy" ( he is 48 ) ." Dad I"m going to put lots of money in your pocket , back Davy Russell on Sunday" . Made me smile anyway.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Half pint was at an 8 year old friends birthday party earlier. 21 from the class were at it, in one of those barn type play places. Majority of the class went, they're a tight group. Anyway, a few third class lads, different party, started getting agro with 3 or 4 of our gang over in the football area. Within seconds, 20 from the class have descended on the third class lads. One of the older ones kept repeating that they lost count of them. No shapes thrown, but by God do that class have each other's back. We didn't have to go in and calm the situation, they asserted the control themselves. Pity they don't show the same initiative down at the gaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Said in a robot style voice

" I am a robot....I am programmed for cuddles"

Then proceeded to jump on top of me and give me a massive cuddle :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Saysay19

I am due in the next few weeks.

This morning 6 year old hopped in the bed with me and and started rubbing bump. He then said he can’t wait to be a big brother even if Santa don’t come to our house this year 😊

Advertisement